Question about other players...

New Player Help and Guides
What does playername (*) mean? I see them while I am out there but I didn't know what that means. Thanks! :)
It means that you're in a group or zone with players from other servers. Normally their home server would be shown as a suffix on their name (you would see me as 'Icedragon - Azuremyst' for example) but if the player is from the same realm as you, the (*) is displayed instead.
10/04/2012 10:06 PMPosted by Icedragon
Normally their home server would be shown as a suffix on their name (you would see me as 'Icedragon - Azuremyst' for example) but if the player is from the same realm as you, the (*) is displayed instead.

Every time I see a * on somone's name and hovered my mouse on them, it's given me the name of a completely different realm than my home realm in their tooltip.

The only times I've seen players from the same home realm as me, they've had no asterisk at all, just player name and guild.

I think the asterisk comes in when the name + realm would be too long to fit above their head.
Every time I see a * on somone's name and hovered my mouse on them, it's given me the name of a completely different realm than my home realm in their tooltip.

The only times I've seen players from the same home realm as me, they've had no asterisk at all, just player name and guild.

I think the asterisk comes in when the name + realm would be too long to fit above their head.

This.
Thanks for the answers everyone. I guess I didn't think about the fact they were from another server? Makes sense. I think I will just start waving at them and maybe they will say where they are from, and maybe make some new friends on different servers. One can never have enough friends :)
You are beyond adorable. We're keeping you.
Shoot! I thought it meant "special snowflake"!!!!!

Guess I can stop trying to earn MY "*" now …
*swings by the thread....swoops down close, puts a very special * on Liaeatha's forehead*, tada you have been *'d by a small newly created panda....we are all special so of course you are special :) Liaeatha *. :)