WHY did you screw with shaman mechanics ?

Shaman
THIS was clunky: http://i.imgur.com/4JFPK.jpg

What we have now is far from clunky, and very, very nice.
IF SOMETHINGS NOT BROKE THEN BREAK IT that is the Blizzard philosophy. I now HATE my Shaman and she was previously my most favorite toon. Goddammit give me back my old mechanics and QUIT SCREWING WITH STUFF THAT WORKS.
YES I MEAN TOTEMS.

Totems have been broken since Wrath launched. Sorry.
10/05/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Tapi
Thank you for your suggestions but Shaman is no longer my favorite class. Good luck to you all.

and the average IQ of the shaman population just went up~! huzzah
Tapi,

What you need to understand is that before MoP, yes, you could drop four totems at once, but out of those four totems, how many were just stat sticks that didn't do anything but buff you and your party/raid? Now, those are buffs are passive, so those totems are no longer needed. Totems now are more situational. Gone are the 5-minute totems. The only time I feel the need to drop more than one at a time is PvP.
Don't feed the troll
10/05/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Tapi
Thank you for your suggestions but Shaman is no longer my favorite class. Good luck to you all.

Translation: I have to pay attention now, and I don't like it.
Dropping Searing, Stone Bulwark, healing stream and capacitor at the same time would be a stupid and lazy thing to do anyways, you wouldn't be making good use of them.
The dropdown is killing me personally >.< so i moved them all onto my bars and now i dont have enough spaces on my bars for everything >.<

I feel like its clunky it takes time to open the drop down find the one you need wait for an opening in your rotation (which is non existant) then drop searing for example ( did i mention when you push a button for your rotation while doing this it closes the drop down?) which wshould ALWAYS be dropped isn't that not situational? thats an every situation thing aint it? I mean obviously once you have a big enough aoe pull drop magma but generally your going to drop searing.
10/06/2012 06:59 AMPosted by Obeliske
searing for example which wshould ALWAYS be dropped isn't that not situational?

searing is the irritating exception to the 'situational totem' rule. if nothing else, searing, the elementals, and stormlash should be on your action bars. others depend on situation and spec.
buff totems are bad design, end of story.

It's not fun to lose a buff simply because you decided to use a utility skill (tremor replaced SoE for example), they need to be replaced every 40 yards, they have 5 hp, etc etc. On top of that, in big raids or even 10 mans you only needed to offer about two of those totem buffs maximum, so it's not like we lost anything.

The previous buff system was basically a hindrance on Shaman effectiveness. DK's didn't lose their Horn of Winter just because they wanted to use Chains of Ice, but we lost SoE because we wanted to use Earthbind.

I like the new setup much better.
i felt the same way until i read all the totem abilities. now i only drop em when i need to. My favorite has to be the new healing stream totem on the talent tree. Its my oh s*** heal plus i can still cast healing rain and spam chain heal if stuff gets crazy. i personaly like all the changes. i can see resto shammys getting nerfed in the near future tho. :(
You can never beat the orignal /waggle.
buff totems are bad design, end of story.

It's not fun to lose a buff simply because you decided to use a utility skill (tremor replaced SoE for example), they need to be replaced every 40 yards, they have 5 hp, etc etc. On top of that, in big raids or even 10 mans you only needed to offer about two of those totem buffs maximum, so it's not like we lost anything.

I'm going to wholly disagree with you here...

1) "losing a buff for utility"

I actually though this was (sort of) a good thing - it added an "interesting decision" to the mix; do i drop the party's extra amour for a personal shield?

2) "they need to be replaced every 40 yards"

Still do; flametongue has a limited range and still needs to be dropped every pull (or "you're a baddie" for being too lazy to take the free dps). This change has not helped the need to drop totems at all

3) "you only needed to offer about two of those totem buffs maximum, so it's not like we lost anything"

No, we lost something much more valuable - ease of play. Back in the Cata days, you'd set your Call of the X to an appropriate set for the group, have your elementals, earthbind, stoneclaw, mana tide, spirit link and lust as situations cooldowns with, wolves or nature's swiftness as throughput ones and you're set. No fuss, no muss, just do your rotation, and trust your healing stream to fill in the gaps.

Now we have a small army of short cooldowns to keep track of, no quick-cast (yes, i absolutely would want stone bulwark/flame tongue/healing stream/grounding as one click; bad for raids - probably - but great for soloing...). At best, the same number of totem drops, probably a lot more, with just that much more to keep track of.

I appreciate your stance on this, but I've personally yet to find a single change in MoP regarding shaman that i'm happy with (Enh/Res, for the record). I'm definitely in the "Cata mechanics were better" boat. The only things I'd've changed would be making waterwalking less prone to malfunctioning (i have to look downish just to see where I am, that doesn't mean i want to swim down) and if I had to choose a 87 ability? I'd've asked for the option of something to the effect of "unbound totems" so you'd have tiny elementals following you around (think Gradius)... they could still be killable, etc, but poof! "i don't like dropping totems" gone, without rolling a DK instead
10/07/2012 08:23 PMPosted by Thrakki
1) "losing a buff for utility"

Incorrect. No buffs were "lost" but all reintegrated as passive benefits and auras, just like every other class at last.
We didn't lose a thing.

Now we have a small army of short cooldowns to keep track of

Yes, just like every other class now.

we lost something much more valuable - ease of play.

Being tethered to buff sticks wasn't exactly what one could call "streamlined".

i absolutely would want many totems as one click; bad for raids - probably - but great for soloing...

And this is why your argument fails. These mechanics are not great for soloing because they are wholly unnecessary for soloing. They aren't even made with soloing in mind because you already have the tools to solo without taking CDs into account.
The one-click mechanic is bad for the raid because you'd needlessly waste all of your CDs in one go.
And that is proof enough that this change was made with group play in mind.

To say these changes were bad because "I want to solo stuff" is a horrible, selfish argument.
No buffs were "lost" but all reintegrated as passive benefits and auras, just like every other class at last.
We didn't lose a thing.

That was in the context of losing, say, Strength of Earth for Stoneclaw under Cata rules (or at least that's how i'd meant it). I thought it was a "interesting choice" mechanic rather than a weakness of the class design.

Now we have a small army of short cooldowns to keep track of

Yes, just like every other class now.

Right, except the lack of cooldowns is what attracted me to the class in the first place, and i doubt i'm alone in that.

10/07/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Delirious
Being tethered to buff sticks wasn't exactly what one could call "streamlined".

...except that hasn't changed. We still ought to drop a fire totem whenever we're in combat, and do so again when the fight moves too far, so that aspect hasn't changed any.

10/07/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Delirious
To say these changes were bad because "I want to solo stuff" is a horrible, selfish argument.

a) Soloing is a perfectly legitimate part of the game (questing, dailies, etc)
b) I merely said that Call of X would be good for soloing (and like in cata, you'd only use it when appropriate)

My point is that the totem changes are - for me, at least - a reduced quality of life with no benefit. I'm happy for those of you who like them, I'm just not among your number.
Now we have a small army of short cooldowns to keep track of, no quick-cast (yes, i absolutely would want stone bulwark/flame tongue/healing stream/grounding as one click; bad for raids - probably - but great for soloing...).

Ironically, one of the contentions against the old system was that most Shaman didn't bother to drop totems while soloing.

That was in the context of losing, say, Strength of Earth for Stoneclaw under Cata rules (or at least that's how i'd meant it). I thought it was a "interesting choice" mechanic rather than a weakness of the class design.

It was a weakness because nobody else had that "interesting choice." Warriors didn't lose Battle Shout when they hit Hamstring or Piercing Howl. DKs didn't lose Horn of Winter when they used Anti-Magic Shell or Death Grip.

10/08/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Thrakki
Right, except the lack of cooldowns is what attracted me to the class in the first place, and i doubt i'm alone in that.

Maybe not, but the lack of cooldowns made Shaman weak on various fights in PvE and weak in PvP because it was impossible to finish anyone off.

Wait, I'm talking dps cooldowns there. If you mean totem cooldowns like Earthbind and Grounding, those have always been around.

...except that hasn't changed. We still ought to drop a fire totem whenever we're in combat, and do so again when the fight moves too far, so that aspect hasn't changed any.

Except that it has, because now the totems are actually useful. For example, tomorrow when we do Heroic Stone Guard I get to use Windwalk Totem as a root-break. A utility totem useful on a raid fight! Do you realize it's been over an expansion since that was expedient or desirable? The last time a utility totem was useful for a raid fight, if I'm remembering correctly, was Tremor Totem on Blood Queen in ICC. For everything since, it's been much better to have something else.
You know i miss the old totems the way i could drop all 4 at the same time. i like how i could drop grounding and stone claw and a healing totem and a fire ele totem all together. it saves time and lets you cast and get off you're interupts. But now im spending more time dropping totems 1 at a time it really sucks.
You know i miss the old totems the way i could drop all 4 at the same time. i like how i could drop grounding and stone claw and a healing totem and a fire ele totem all together. it saves time and lets you cast and get off you're interupts. But now im spending more time dropping totems 1 at a time it really sucks.

Right, it's called design intention.
I hated the idea of having to drop totems one at a time until I started playing. I love the new style now.
[quote] I'd've asked for the option of something to the effect of "unbound totems" so you'd have tiny elementals following you around (think Gradius)... they could still be killable, etc,

YES!
A Glyph that turns your totems into cute little elementals that follow you around.

The grounding guy gets punted across the screen when he eats a spell! The baby Tremor ele could bash the ground with his head! The tiny little Searing ele would fire fireballs bigger than himself as he follows you around (though this may look a little like the lock pet).

+ 1 to this idea

ON TOPIC: The new totem and passive aura system opened the way for new Shaman mechanics, and change is like a holiday.