How are mages so far in raids?

Mage
For people who have raided recently, how are mages so far? Are they as bad as people make them out to be? Is it really that difficult to keep the level 90 talents going in a raid encounter?
Topping meters.

Talents are an annoying nuisance.
Topping meters as frost. I absolutely hate the existence of the level 90 talent. Invocation and Rune of Power perform similarly as far as DPS goes if you can fully utilize both.

Invocation requires that you stand still for ~5 seconds doing nothing as you evocate. You do no dps during this time period and must evocate the full duration every 40 seconds. So that's 40 seconds of actively casting spells and 5 seconds of doing nothing. I really don't like doing nothing for 5 seconds, but the worst part is you have to stand still for 5 seconds. Given how you are constantly required to move in most fights these days at random times, you often have to move before you finish evocating, not allowing the +25% buff to go up. This is incredibly annoying.

Rune of Power requires that you stand in a certain location to receive the buff. You can have two "locations" up at any given time, with a short cast. Given how often you are constantly having moving around in most fights, this just isn't feasible as you will spend a lot of time casting new locations to stand in or forgoing it completely.

As it stands right now, I absolutely hate raiding as a Mage. It's incredibly annoying to try to keep Invocation up. I have been raiding as a Mage since Vanilla and I have never felt so annoyed while raiding. It feels like class designers and raid designers didn't communicate on this one.
After MGV, I love invocation. Because we're designed to have less-than-optimal uptime on lvl 90 talents, managing perfect uptime on said talents results in us excelling at dps. I find it very enjoyable and skill-intensive to maintain perfect uptime on invocation. It's a nice change from years of mindnumbing easy rotations.
10/05/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Napwneon
After MGV, I love invocation. Because we're designed to have less-than-optimal uptime on lvl 90 talents, managing perfect uptime on said talents results in us excelling at dps. I find it very enjoyable and skill-intensive to maintain perfect uptime on invocation. It's a nice change from years of mindnumbing easy rotations.

That's similar to how I feel. At times, Invocation can be quite annoying, but if I can manage to maintain perfect uptime of it during Mogu'shan Vaults, I feel an immense sense of success at the end of a boss fight.
Isn't our DPS dependent on being able to keep invocation at all times? And letting it fall means you do less DPS?
10/06/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Aduro
Isn't our DPS dependent on being able to keep invocation at all times? And letting it fall means you do less DPS?

If you take invocation, yes. If you go for Rune, the objective is to sit in the rune as often as possible, so it requires strategic placing of both runes and constantly making sure they're up. Incanters ward is a little less work, but if you want the full benefit, you need it's bubble to break, which may or may not be easy in a raid.