Why do people think dailies are "required"?

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
I enjoy raiding, running dungeons, and lately a little bit of the pet battles. In the past (WOTLK/CATA), I have felt very little motivation to do dailies. People in my guild know me as the guy that won't do dailies. I have X amount of time to game a week, and so help me if I'm going to do things that don't make me feel good.

What this means is that I am at a gear disadvantage while raiding. It changes the social dynamic so that I am now being selfish in our progression. This happened a bit in the molten front, but we outgeared the rewards quick enough that it was a non-issue. With the charms, it is now a constant nagging that makes it less fun to play this game. (and don't say find a different guild, these are my friends, they aren't asking me to do dailies, I just realize I'm being selfish).

I would rather run 10 dungeons, challenge modes, raids vs do 2 quests. I hate quests! Leveling has been a chore to me. So, while I might be an edge case in some eyes, this has been my opinion of the "forced" dailies.
The problem a lot of you seem to have is the "Oh I'll just buy the crafted gear of the AH". You know what that means? Yeah, the dailys ARE required. You're not the one doing them but someone sure is.

No it doesn't really work that way, Any smart Leader wants his Raiders in the best pre raid gear available and that means doing dailies. Plus you need the Rep for enchants and other things.

Doing dailies are required if you are even semi serious at raiding however if you are not than sure ignore the dailies no will care anyway.

What people don't seem to get is that the raids were designed to enter in Heroic gear and take some time gearing up in the raid itself.

If people choose to roflstomp them by getting the best available gear before entering that's their decision, but the game certainly doesn't force them to do that. They're setting their own goals outside of the ones the game sets. That's fine, I do the same thing, but it isn't an excuse to scream about how boring dailies are when it's their choice to decide they'd rather get the gear gated behind it.

You'd think people would get the message and play the more relaxed style the game is designed for. I've seen people burn out through the pressure raiding has put on them, I've seen it affect their home life, I've seen friendships broken over it. It just isn't worth it for me any more. I remember BC raiding and heroic keys and nobody else in guild wanting to run the normal instances you needed to get the rep to get the key to do the heroic to get the Karazhan key fragments, because "there wasn't anything in normal mode for them." I'm done with the selfish style of gameplay that gets everyone focusing on their own personal progress. I'll take the more relaxed style MoP gives us any day. If people keep burning out on raids because they're setting goals far above the ones Blizz intended, they've only got themselves to blame for it.
10/11/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Zulnakhavik
You CANNOT show up to your guild's progression raids and announce "Can't be bothered with dailies, I'm just gonna wing it during our raids, now give me dkp and loot". Can't do that as a trial or even a "regular" member, you'll get replaced. and laughed at. I can just imagine being asked "hey don't you have any valor gear, what are you doing with your 1000 points/week?" and going "I'm just letting it cap, hey guys I can't spend ANY valor because I read WE DON'T HAVE TO DO DAILIES TO RAID" haha funny right guys? /gkick

This.

If you are in a raiding guild, the following factions are mandatory to get to revered though dailys: Golden lotus, klaxxi, shado-pan, august celestials. No exceptions.

I'm not even in a hardcore guild (only 4/6 first week, 3hr raids 3 nights a week) and even we know that.
The only thing required about dailies in a sense are the charms but that's something you can quickly stock up.

Hey Neth have you guys thought on adding something else to do with the charms or make them stack better?

This is not exact number but I already have over 400 lesser charms. I have weeks of supply and yes I do a ton of dailies. Yet it's going to stockpile more and more eating my bag space.

Is there any chance on increasing on how much they stack even more?

I'm not aware of making any changes to the charms currently. I'll pass along the stacking concern.
Or why not just turn them into a currency like the Elder Charms? Wasn't that part of the purpose of creating the Currency tab in the first place?
Ok, so people don't understand what being competitive in raiding means, whether that is server competition, country competition, or racing for World Firsts.

You need to do the dailies to gain rep for different pieces of valor gear, various enchants, and various patterns. In other words, while is isn't technically "required", you need to do it to be competitive. If our raid goes in with only heroic gear, and nothing we could have bought if we did dailies, not only would we be at a disadvantage as far as gear goes, but we'd be harming ourselves through not having Charms to help gear quicker.

Yes, if you aren't a raider, go ahead do whatever. As a raider, you need to do them to stay competitive.

Compare it to losing weight in order to wrestle at a lower weight level in wrestling, or speaking quicker in debate, or studying for a test. Sure you don't "Have" to do any of those, but you disadvantage yourself by NOT doing so.

Blizzard was plain WRONG about this in 4.3. Sure, we could have turned off the 5% buff, but no one else on the server would have, so we would have been weaker, and they stronger. There was no different achievement, no way to tell if you had done it no-debuff. Simply put, from a competitive standpoint, it would have been asinine to do so.

Oh and the person a few above me is just wrong lol.

AC gear and bracer enchants. SP gear and weapon enchants. Both require a number of days of dailies BEFORE they are even unlocked for another set of dailies.

Not required? Sure, if you aren't competitive. But than again, why do you need gear anyways other than to look good?
With the addition of scenarios, challenges and a whole load of regular quests, it hasn't been really all that hard to get my level 90 druid into heroic dungeons. It took her a day after turning 90 to have the right gear level. However, it should be noted that the dailies do reward Valor Points which why some may conclude that you "need" them to gear up. I do the dailies because I like dailies. Aside from leveling cooking, you can earn rep doing them and you can also earn a little gold but its not worth the effort if you don't enjoy them. You can get 60 valor points for doing one scenario. It would take 12 dailies to get the same amount. I don't know about everyone else but I love this expansion.

Edit for crappy math. LOL
10/11/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Requîtal
Doing dailies are required if you are even semi serious at raiding however if you are not than sure ignore the dailies no will care anyway.

Choice. This seems to be what most people are missing. Or rather...what they're attempting to redefine. Sure is a lot of redefining going on in the game these days.

You have made the choice to be a 'serious' raider. Perfectly acceptable, great even! Raiding is fun. You've chosen a guild that is going to require you to do all sorts of optional things. Okay...that's your choice too. Maybe that's how they define 'serious', and you have chosen to agree with them. Cool. Now, it is more 'efficient' to have 489's to farm 489's (except in the area of sense, wherein that efficiency is completely lost). So to acquire these 489's, you have to do dailies.

Yup...HAVE TO! You have to...because of your choices. Now when you get done, you choose to have extra loot rolls. Oh no, that means you HAVE TO do dailies! Well yes...because you have chosen to have extra loot rolls available for your raid. There is a cost to the benefit. That cost is dailies.

But in the end, the entire chain of reasoning begins with your choices. A skilled raider could simply do dungeon-heroic-raid just like in the days past. That you've chosen to take additional steps to ensure your success is great, because you and your guildmates decided it was needed to be 'serious' and you've chosen to do them. But no matter how much you attempt to redefine reality, the reality is that they are only required to accomplish tasks you have chosen to give yourself.
You don't have to have weapons or armor before entering a raid instance.

Well yeah, I technically don't need ANYTHING to enter a raid, but I'll be completing those raids a few expansions later if I look for ways to gimp myself.
10/11/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Gima
The problem a lot of you seem to have is the "Oh I'll just buy the crafted gear of the AH". You know what that means? Yeah, the dailys ARE required. You're not the one doing them but someone sure is.

Which is fine, cause a lot of us actually want to do them.

They're required for someone. They're not required for you, if you don't like them. You may as well say raiding isn't required when the later patterns that drop there are out. It isn't but someone somewhere is going to do it and get the pattern, that doesn't mean every blacksmith in the game has to raid just because there's an even better pattern for them in there.

The point is you, personally, get to make the decision whether the reward is worth going for. There are alternative methods if you decide they're not. You don't need the crafted gear at all - there's gear of the exact same ilvl in LFR.
10/11/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Cutanaga
You don't have to have weapons or armor before entering a raid instance.

Well yeah, I technically don't need ANYTHING to enter a raid, but I'll be completing those raids a few expansions later if I look for ways to gimp myself.

Replace expansions with weeks.

And if it means you don't have to do dailies, when you don't want to, then just raid the extra few weeks. That way you actually get to spend the time doing what you enjoy, right?
It's real sneaky because the Dailies don't actually function as a gating mechanic, the valor cap does. No what the dailies and the gear behind them actually does do is prod people to get out of org and do these things because the reward is so good they feel FORCED to do it. It's a conscious design decision on their part. Historically dailies have always only granted gold and vanity stuff so now mists comes around and Blizzard want's to carrot people out in the world and this is how they do it... Anybody saying they aren't required or forced is just denying what's right in front of them at this point. The rewards were put their on purpose to get people out of org. They had to be good. Good enough so you feel forced to run these dailies even when the majority of you probably couldn't be arsed to do them anyway. Dailies suck.

This is correct. You don't need to do dailies to get the gear you need to go into dungeons or Raid. I've known of many people now who geared up without doing this (successfully and quickly). There are a variety of ways to get gear beyond the dailies including crafting and dungeon runs themselves.

Most of the items that you can get from the dailies are either available at a lower (read not exalted) reputation or are just not necessary and are more cosmetic or fun items. Just doing the normal quests through the zones can also get you easily into Heroic dungeons and on.

This is simply not accurate or your being just a tad bit disingenuous. The charms for my raid group require that I farm dailies. Same for the patterns. Furthermore let's assume someone DOESN'T raid but still want's to progress their characters. Well then at some point they need to run dailies to gear up because that is one of the few available paths to them.

No their was one way and one way to insure that dailies don't feel required at all and you guys know this. That is to make sure their is absolutely NOTHING on the vendors that could be used for character progression. NOTHING. Not a thing.

Charms aren't required. Like so many other things that OCD, instant-gratifaction people feel they must have NOW, its a bonus.

As for patterns, they are available at lower reps which are easy to get thru normal questing and a handful of dailies.

I'm pushing for exalted with klaxxi because i want the vanity items and simply want the achievement that comes with exalted. Certainly don't need any of it for raiding.
This.

If you are in a raiding guild, the following factions are mandatory to get to revered though dailys: Golden lotus, klaxxi, shado-pan, august celestials. No exceptions.

I'm not even in a hardcore guild (only 4/6 first week, 3hr raids 3 nights a week) and even we know that.

Guildies who cleared all normal this week and are starting heroics half of them never touched dailies.

I don't see how they are at a disadvantage. Do you?

Wait, what? Are you being intentionally dense? There are clear advantages to having better gear in raids, they may not be necessary, but to say that those advantages aren't there is asinine.
Your guild doesn't even have the normal MV achieve pally.

People here are idiots. They don't understand logic. Sure its a "choice". But its really no good choice. That's like saying going to classes in Uni is a choice. DUH, I could skip them all, but why would I?
10/11/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Shanndi

Choice. This seems to be what most people are missing. Or rather...what they're attempting to redefine. Sure is a lot of redefining going on in the game these days.

You have made the choice to be a 'serious' raider. Perfectly acceptable, great even! Raiding is fun. You've chosen a guild that is going to require you to do all sorts of optional things. Okay...that's your choice too. Maybe that's how they define 'serious', and you have chosen to agree with them. Cool. Now, it is more 'efficient' to have 489's to farm 489's (except in the area of sense, wherein that efficiency is completely lost). So to acquire these 489's, you have to do dailies.

Yup...HAVE TO! You have to...because of your choices. Now when you get done, you choose to have extra loot rolls. Oh no, that means you HAVE TO do dailies! Well yes...because you have chosen to have extra loot rolls available for your raid. There is a cost to the benefit. That cost is dailies.

But in the end, the entire chain of reasoning begins with your choices. A skilled raider could simply do dungeon-heroic-raid just like in the days past. That you've chosen to take additional steps to ensure your success is great, because you and your guildmates decided it was needed to be 'serious' and you've chosen to do them. But no matter how much you attempt to redefine reality, the reality is that they are only required to accomplish tasks you have chosen to give yourself.

I chose to log into the game today. Is Blizzard really telling it's customers don't log in you have the choice? Did I have a choice in taking that 5% dps talent in the old school talent trees? Well blizzard didn't think so then that's why they reworked the system to offer me choice now. They apparently just forgot about that principle when they made these dailies.

Guildies who cleared all normal this week and are starting heroics half of them never touched dailies.

I don't see how they are at a disadvantage. Do you?

Wait, what? Are you being intentionally dense? There are clear advantages to having better gear in raids, they may not be necessary, but to say that those advantages aren't there is asinine.

To say those advantages are required is just as asinine. The choice is yours.