What makes a Mary Sue in your opinion?

Moon Guard
Post Limit:
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
I'm one.
I'm a member of a neutral faction that accepts mostly druids yet somehow a human warrior is an emissary for them along with befriending a sprite darter which would never happen and in no way shape or form should I have a hippogryph. I should have never been allowed in Nighthaven to learn herbalism and alchemy from a tauren, the simple fact I speak Darnassian is sickening to the senses. Worst of all I can speak some taur'ahe.

I'm the worst of the worst.

You should feel bad about yourself. Feel bad now damn it!
I also say pvp/pve achievements should contribute to power level to some degree if the player chooses to use it.

If my main is geared for pvp, I -will- be using that.
I'm one.

I'm a member of a neutral faction that accepts mostly druids yet somehow a human warrior is an emissary for them along with befriending a sprite darter which would never happen and in no way shape or form should I have a hippogryph. I should have never been allowed in Nighthaven to learn herbalism and alchemy from a tauren, the simple fact I speak Darnassian is sickening to the senses. Worst of all I can speak some taur'ahe.

Puhlease. If anyone's going to be the worst Mary Sue, it's me. Systar is a lich-bound pirate queen. Get in line, buddy.
I'm one.

Puhlease. If anyone's going to be the worst Mary Sue, it's me. Systar is a lich-bound pirate queen. Get in line, buddy.

I'm the love child of Chen and Arthas' one night stand while Jaina filmed it.

No. Bjorn. You have been living a lie.

Actually, I am your father.

No. Bjorn. You have been living a lie.

Actually, I am your father.

I KNEW IT! That one night me and you were to together and I felt you up...that wasn't a sword hilt at all! YOU LIED!
What am I reading?
Maybe you're bjorn with it...

Maybe its Mary Sueism

/flutters eyelashes.
if it wasn't a hilt, would that have changed things for you?
10/03/2012 11:10 AMPosted by Noitora
What am I reading?

What? You don't randomly feel up draenei women?

Maybe you're bjorn with it...

Maybe its Mary Sueism

/flutters eyelashes.

Nah, I was bjorn to be wild...
I admit "This is dumb" was overly hostile. Sorry, Systar.

I still stand by my words, though. Roleplaying is about writing and telling a story, at least for me. OOC achievements don't matter. If you want to integrate them, I'm fine with it, but I don't act like people who do so have any more of a right to do so then people who haven't earned 'em OOC. For example:

I think Eldanesh has the same right to be the 'conquerer of Naxxramas' then anyone else.

I think someone who doesn't PVP or PVE at all has the same right to RP a powerful character, and the same legitimacy to roleplay one, as a gladiator does.
whoa let's not get ahead of ourselves here. he is the conqueror!
But does he smite like Mograine, and bring ash?
Doesn't change that she's a horrible character.

Its okay, Karob. We can kill her in our dreams. Kill her good.
Like every Scarlet RPer ever she dies shortly after Tirion. Then Eligor.

10/03/2012 09:10 AMPosted by Systar
Karob, you look sexy in your hat.
/flex
10/03/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Lito
whoa let's not get ahead of ourselves here. he is the conqueror!

Someone disputed this? How dare they!
10/03/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Ferenold
But does he smite like Mograine, and bring ash?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbPYG7no-ww
a character that is deliberately made to draw attention to themselves without actually working on developing the character to make them interesting. why give them a personality when you could just define them as "the half-shaman half-paladin half-mage half-orc half-human half-draenei son of a master assassin and powerful mage"?
I admit "This is dumb" was overly hostile. Sorry, Systar.

I still stand by my words, though. Roleplaying is about writing and telling a story, at least for me. OOC achievements don't matter. If you want to integrate them, I'm fine with it, but I don't act like people who do so have any more of a right to do so then people who haven't earned 'em OOC. For example:

I think Eldanesh has the same right to be the 'conquerer of Naxxramas' then anyone else.

I think someone who doesn't PVP or PVE at all has the same right to RP a powerful character, and the same legitimacy to roleplay one, as a gladiator does.

And that is where we fundamentally disagree.
10/03/2012 12:15 PMPosted by Caristinn
a character that is deliberately made to draw attention to themselves without actually working on developing the character to make them interesting. why give them a personality when you could just define them as "the half-shaman half-paladin half-mage half-orc half-human half-draenei son of a master assassin and powerful mage"?

So I'm really the only one who likes him? He's a nice guy, and it's a damn shame that Blizzard wrote him off. It's lazy writing. A good writer could've salvaged him.
Mary-Sues exist. I even role play with them. Sadly, there is not much you can do about it except roll with it, yo.

What makes a Mary-Sue? Several things, imo. I could write you a book. One trait I find is Mary-Sue-ish is person who makes their character everything ever. They're beautiful but deadly. They're courageous but do fear. They're kind yet cruel. Somehow they are everything and it is kay. Self-insertion is another Sue quality, imo.

But it's whatev'. You do what you want. And if they want to be that, they can.

I find that it brings interesting perspective into my RP and don't really care if they're a mary-sue in the end. RP is RP and I enjoy all creations from whether it's Sue, Stu, or Newb.