Is Guardian viable for 85-90 questing?

Druid
I started level at launch and I noticed some bears gathering up mobs while my feral kitty self focused on a few mobs without dying.

I reach Townlong Steppes and the fudges just hit hard. Sure, my gear is a bit outdated seeing how I'm keeping up with two whole different specs, but I'm just starting to wonder what the heck I am doing wrong. I attract mobs like moths to light and I cannot keep myself up on "group" mobs since my realm is "dead" considering 90% are gone three days after launch.

I'm soloing by myself since I couldn't come on at times to level up with others. Dungeons are slow and they hardly give a lot of experience - enough to be decent though.

Long story short... A friend suggested I should go Guardian. "You might not be able to kill fast, but you'll have more survival." I usually kill fast so I can be hit less. If bear form means I can take some stronger beatings I'll go for it. I leveled a Guardian before so I can easily slide into tanking and using bear form.

The question is...How efficient is it and will I be able to handle the two level grind?
Yes, but you'll want to pull at least 3-4 mobs onto you at a time so you can build up vengeance.
Otherwise, you're kind of wasting the survival aspect of it.
Yes, but you'll want to pull at least 3-4 mobs onto you at a time so you can build up vengeance.
Otherwise, you're kind of wasting the survival aspect of it.

That is a good point. I'd very much like to be able to handle a decent amount of mobs on me since I do tend to attract more than one or two wanderers nearby.
Guardian operates best when killing tons of things at once. As long as you remember that, and to heal yourself via FR, you'll be fine.
It's definitely possible I leveled the majority of 85-90 as guardian spec and it felt a lot easier and quicker then either cat or boomkin.

Just make sure your not over cautious and it should be fairly efficient. I would run in and aggro as many mobs as possible and start aoeing while moving towards more mobs to pull with faerie fire. Make sure to use berserk whenever possible and spam mangle to quickly kill groups.

The other benefit to guardian levelling is any melee who try to gank of a similar level just can't break through your survivability.
Thank you ^_^ I'll try Guardian right away~

One more thing... Should I reforge my gear often if I decide to tank for the heck of it and for more survival or leave it the way it is?
I leveled as Guardian. I tried feral once at 89, but it felt way too squishy for my taste. I probably wasn't playing it right. Anyways, Guardian is easy. You'll never die, and the killing isn't *too* terribly slow. Generally you'll fight groups instead of singles.
10/08/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Solarbeam
Should I reforge my gear often if I decide to tank for the heck of it and for more survival or leave it the way it is?
I didn't reforge my gear until I dabbled into MV with a PuG.

Especially as secondaries are much closer than they were in Cata, there really isn't any need to reforge until you start raiding / challenge dungeons.

In general, I found leveling as a Cat much easier - the problem with Bear is that the places where you can pull 4+ mobs quickly are rare. Often they are too far apart and start evading. Or there are too many other players, so that it takes so much time finding enough untagged mobs that you could just have killed them one by one as Feral.
I hit lvl 90 on my druid like 10 minutes ago. I was guardian spec the entire time. I leveled way faster than my rogue or my mage. Its definitely a good spec to level as.
I levelled entirely as guardian and primarily through questing.
I leveled to 90 as a Guardian. But after that, when I leveled my Retribution Paladin, I found that levelling as DPS is still faster. The main issue I had with leveling as Guardian is that there were a lot of cases when the mobs were too far apart to do a mass pull. (Or there were a mix of ranged and melee mobs in the area.) I would waste time gathering them up instead of just killing them on the spot.
I started off leveling as guardian then switched back to feral. I'm sure I was just doing it wrong (keeping up SD is a pita :(), but honestly I felt more squishy as guardian. As feral, I'd just HT every PS and I kept myself up fairly proficiently and killed fast to boot.
I leveled 85-90 guardian as well. It's true that there are many areas where enemies are too spread out to effectively group pull, but once you hit 89 you should immediately begin questing in the Dread Wastes. There are many areas in that zone where the enemies are more compact, and aside from that you have the option to get an enhancement that sends in an NPC ally to cleave any time you have more than 1 enemy on you. This can happen once a minute and it does a significant amount of damage to everyone on you, so that speeds things up considerably. There are other enhancements that are maybe more useful for other specs, but I found that combo to be very efficient.
Ok last night I switched to Guardian after getting my butt spanked with my Boomkin. I like it a whole lot better but I would honestly like to start tank instead of being one of these fools who roll Guardian just to quest and thats it. Do you old time tanks have some suggestions to me. thanks in advance.