Ink Trader Exchange Change

Professions
Prev 1 22 23 24 39 Next
inb4 "Oh the Faire just ended? Too bad, well have the ink trader fixed right away now."
I'm not sure how much of a surprise this should be. I didn't use my scribe on the beta, but when 5.0.4 hit the live servers, there was an issue then, wasn't there? The vendor showed the icon and tooltip for Ink of Dreams, but regardless of that, we used Blackfallow Ink to make our purchases for the entire month. We could not get Ink of Dreams in any way.

For all we know, just because the tooltip and icon for Ink of Dreams was there, doesn't mean that it ever was going to work internally for acutally using Ink of Dreams to make purchases at the vendor.

I don't know anything about programming, but wouldn't it be a possibility that it has been "broken" for 6 weeks now, ever since 5.0.4 hit, showing MoP icons/tooltips, but using Cata mats?

*puts on tinfoil hat* Perhaps from a business and customer service standpoint, that is why they "extended" the use of Blackfallow ink. Maybe they already knew there was a problem, and had been working on it. And they haven't been able to get it fixed yet.
2000 inks, 48 darkmoon cards... means 480 inks, means for every 4 normal pigment you got 1 rare pigment, meaning you got a rare pigment of every other mill event for approximately 2000 mills. Yeah, I'm calling BS on this. Rare pigments don't have a 50% proc rate.

Like me, he may have used several hundred Ink of Dreams crafting the new glyphs discovered through the Scroll research.
Of course if you changed the way the ink trading worked and allowed ppl to trade ALL levels of Inks for either their Uncommon equiv or a Lower level ink this kind of problem would never happen as you'd then just be able to add new inks in as they came out without having to change everything else.

Simple :)
10/09/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Nethaera
Unfortunately, when attempting to apply the hotfix, we ran into additional issues in testing. We don't have an ETA on when this will be able to be applied as of yet, but will be continuing to work on it. It's not a cut and dry fix unfortunately. Again, we appreciate everyone's patience while we work this out.

It'd be nice if we could make something useful with our Ink of Dreams. :( The blue shoulder enchants are worth like 30g a pop on my server and even those get undercut.

I'm also guessing the additional issue is just an excuse to put the change in after the Faire.

I have made a scroll every day since launch. So yes, I'm well aware. Know what else I'm aware of? The fact that I have about 900 ink of dreams sitting in my bank, 4 scrolls left and no starlight ink to be had.

lol only 900 i am looking at 1500

Sorry I chose to actually play this toon too instead of mindlessly farming herbs the entire time.
10/09/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Irocain
This is very important for those of us farming Darkmoon cards and the fair is only here for a week. Is there any way blizzard can simply add in one trade in for Ink of Dreams to Starlight Ink, temporally, and then figure out the bugs with the Blackfallow to Ink of Dreams conversion for the rest later?

This isn't your only source of rare ink so stop pretending it is. I have 3 scribes between my 2 accounts and I'm doing just fine without the ink trader.

I've 9 scribes. My IoD stockpile is 10k inks. Your argument is invalid - because nobody said this was our only source. It's just a very limiting factor if you're not small time.
10/09/2012 10:56 PMPosted by Guldun
I'm not sure how much of a surprise this should be. I didn't use my scribe on the beta, but when 5.0.4 hit the live servers, there was an issue then, wasn't there? The vendor showed the icon and tooltip for Ink of Dreams, but regardless of that, we used Blackfallow Ink to make our purchases for the entire month. We could not get Ink of Dreams in any way.

No. The blue post, front page blog posts, and weeks of official communication regarding the transition from BFI to IoD means that it's not working. Honestly - why do you people bother posting in the thread when you haven;t even read enough to contribute something to it?
10/09/2012 11:11 PMPosted by Stede

This isn't your only source of rare ink so stop pretending it is. I have 3 scribes between my 2 accounts and I'm doing just fine without the ink trader.

I've 9 scribes. My IoD stockpile is 10k inks. Your argument is invalid - because nobody said this was our only source. It's just a very limiting factor if you're not small time.

Lol..."small time" eh? Big fella...shrink your head abit.
Calling it now.

They are going to "fix" it right after the Darkmoon Faire closes.

Sounds about right to me
just please fix the problem before darkmoonfair ends
I just farmed 90 motes to make enough to get the 20th god damn scroll for this HUGE waste of time/money inscription staff which I have long since committed to ONLY to find that when I went to trade in my ink that the ink traders haven't been switched.

ASNLKFKLNFDLKFSDKMMVKLANSDVLKMD. I DEMAND REPARATIONS.

And please explain why this staff requires TWENTY daily tokens!? It's going to be useless in a matter of days anyway.
When patch 5.0 came out, wasn't this already at the vendor, but removed so people could get rid of their level 85 junk?

Now when we need/want this feature, blizzard can't figure out how to do it? This makes me a sad panda.
No one is being screwed over. Playing the Darkmoon Faire card production game is always a gamble of sorts for one reason or another. I almost got majorly screwed from cashing in 30 decks a few years back when they changed the DMF from being Monday to Monday to Sunday to Saturday. (They hadn't announced the changeover in any patchnotes. I just happened to be lucky and cash them in minutes before watching the fair mysteriously disappear around me. My competition ...wasn't quite so fortunate that month....sigh...that was a good month. I was the only one with trinkets to sell.)

Serious players in this particular market have been buying herbs at whatever the going rates have been and milling their little hearts out in order to guarantee a supply of Starlight Inks for their card needs since Day 1 of MoP. Those are the players with multiple scribes who've each produced at least 14 cards per character.

Those of you sitting on 14+ Scrolls of Wisdom in your bags went in a different direction, probably milling a bit, using up whatever Starlight Inks you created on shoulder enchants to sell and gambled heavily that the ink trader would be updated for the first DMF allowing you to make use of the Ink of Dreams you've been hoarding.

If the ink trader ~doesn't~ get updated before the end of the fair, the sell value of the cards/trinkets will remain higher longer. Which means that prices for the second fair will have a chance at remaining lucrative. That means you'll all have at least 21 more scrolls to use making cards with prices that will be comparable to this week's prices.

If the ink trader DOES get updated before the close of this fair, I guarantee you that the price for singles, decks and trinkets will nosedive within a day, as supply will outstrip demand, at least in the short term (Actually, demand will remain high but the number of players who can actually afford a complete deck is finite and will still be a mere fraction of the population at this point in time.) The anxious, unwashed masses will treat their cards like glyphs and race those prices into the basement.

Rather than spending all your time here refreshing the page or posting comments berating the efforts of a helpful Blue poster who's trying their personal best but doesn't personally write the code themselves, why don't you all go back into the game, buy some friggin' herbs and mill yourself some inks and produce some cards, so you're covering your bases, in case the vendor doesn't get the hotfix?

Wow you just hit every nail in the toolbox in the head. I've made tons of cash with darkmoon cards without an ink trader. Yes when it's implemented I'll have more starlight ink than I can handle, but even before the change I've been making a profit selling individual cards and decks. And I don't have 6 scribes either. I have 1 scribe and I've just been paying people to use their scrolls and straight up buying cards if I have to. You don't have to phyiscally produce the darkmoon cards to even make a profit.

That being said, I do agree that Blizz handled this extremely poorly and I understand why those of you that chose the "save all the scroll" route are pissed. They should have been far more transparent about their intentions. But you just can't say that you only had one way to make money from inscription and they ruined it, because that is simply not true.
After reading the rest of the replies I just have to add, did you guys not make *any* darkmoon cards with your scrolls? I mean where the darkmoon card prices so absolutely terrible that it still wasn't a big profit to make a card even with the expensive starlight ink cost?

Just as an example of my server Cho'gall Starlight inks were selling for 400g a piece, so I knew it was costing me a base 4k to make a card, plus whatever the scroll was "worth" as a limiting factor. But on my server the darkmoon cards were on average selling for 5k more than the cost of crafting. Of course the starlight inks didn't actually cost me 400g each, I'd get a stack of Fool's cap for 200g and would get an ink out of it (50% drop rate for the pigment btw) not to mention the common ink as a bonus. So in reality (in terms of money spent since I still considered their price as the potential AH sale price) it was costing me 2000g to make 1 card.

Now I should mention I had previously stopped playing and given a lot of my gold away so I had about 20k when MoP started. Anyway I would have a card that cost me (to buy the herbs) 2000g to make. I could on average sell it for 9k. It's not hard to see how great the profit was. After a few card sales I finally had enough money to play the AH a bit, if I saw a low priced card I'd buy and resell. I started offering money (around 2k usually) to *other* scribes for the use of their scroll, and funny enough I had a lot of takers. Still with that extra 2k spent I'd make a big profit on the finished card.

I literally did this over and over for the past week (I only started playing Oct. 2nd) Making 1 card a day, paying other scribes to make one, and flipping cards from the AH. I didn't have 6 scribes, I didn't have 500k to fund me. I did this with under 20k (leveling professions cost some) absolutely NO farming, but a lot of time for sure.

Now one week later that 20k is 300k. I'm not saying that to brag, even though I am proud of it. I'm saying it because there were VERY legitimate ways to make money with darkmoon cards before the ink trader was released. I still stockpiled my common inks that were left over from milling like the rest of you, but the difference is I actually used my (meager) scrolls and more importantly, *other* methods to make money with the darkmoon fair market.

Even if you didn't want to use one single scroll, you could have paid other scribes like I did, or flipped cards on the AH, or even checked the AH everytime someone was looking for trades to see if the card they wanted was cheaper than the one they were offering. Just because you were saving your scrolls for the ink change doesn't mean you had to just sit on the sidelines for the past 2 weeks while darkmoon fair cards were in their best money making phase of the xpac. Yes, Blizz messed up the announcements, but good lord there were SO many other ways you could have been making money in the meantime and it is not their fault you didn't utilize them.
I just farmed 90 motes to make enough to get the 20th god damn scroll for this HUGE waste of time/money inscription staff which I have long since committed to ONLY to find that when I went to trade in my ink that the ink traders haven't been switched.

ASNLKFKLNFDLKFSDKMMVKLANSDVLKMD. I DEMAND REPARATIONS.

And please explain why this staff requires TWENTY daily tokens!? It's going to be useless in a matter of days anyway.
ITT: Herb bots.
lies lies lies it's all blizzard does to us is tell us lies

Think of it as good practice for online dating.

I'd like to point out that its actually less important to craft cards during the fair than it is to assemble decks. As pointed out above, you don't even need to be a scribe to do that. Over the last three expansions I learned one valuable piece of advise that I'll pass on to all of you....

The trinkets sell for at least 50% more the week AFTER the fair closes. So your job should be to assemble sets, convert them and sit on them for a few days...if you want to max out your profit.

Don't have money, you say? Well, why don't you sell off some of those hundreds of inks you can't currently convert to raise some? Its not like they're a rare commodity. But, with the buzz about the ink trader being updated "soon", they ARE in demand. There will always be new herbs hitting the ah. (Heck, after the ink trader is updated, I expect the herb market to fall for two days...you'll be able to replace your sold inks for less than you paid for them.)

As Ponkatoonie outlined above, I too have been paying 500-1000g to scribes to purchase use of their Scrolls of Wisdom. (There are a lot of players who have scribes they rarely play. I point out to them they're not going to be able to make 500-1000g any easier for 2 seconds of work. Most hunt me down daily to see if I have inks to commission them for another day's work.) As a result, between my own scribes and the services of others, I've produced about 150 cards.

If you don't want to part with your precious inks to make gold, go fish or hunt or plant carrots. There are literally too many ways to make money at this point in this expansion. More than I've seen in the last two. It's hard to walk 100 yards in any direction in Pandaria without tripping over 50g.

The cooking dailies require lots of raw mats that are easily obtainable for even a fresh level 85 in Panda-land. Some of these food mats sell for 200-400 a stack. (No I'm not going to list the specific items here. Go do your homework.) Hell, even first aid can be profitable if you know what to sell and where to sell it.