Returning player, no clue about anything

New Player Help and Guides
I haven't played since vanilla WoW (and 10 day BC trial) and foolishly took a 10 day trial instead of a scroll of resurrection. That being the case, none of my characters even have riding skill and I don't know where to find a trainer (or what to do after that). My two 60s are in the Burning Crusade area in Thrallmar and I have no idea how to get out of there.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
in your first bag you should have a hearthstone... if it's been that long you may have forgotten about it :)
Sadly, my hearthstone returns me to Thrallmar. But I have more energy today than last night so I'm confident I can find a way out of there.
Head for either Shatterath or the Outland side of the dark portal. In both locations you'll find a portal to Orgrimmar.

As a low 60's character, you should be leveling in Outland anyway. WotLK zones don't start until 68. Cataclysm doesn't start until 80, and Pandaria doesn't start until 85.
Welcome back /wave

If you fly to Shattrath, head to the center of the city to find the portal back to Org. If you take a flight back to the Dark Portal, the Org portal isn't too far away, just past where everyone's running around.

Once you return, Org will be VERY different. You'll be down in the Cleft of Shadow, and the zeppelin towers are now right above there, inside the city. The eastern tower still has zepps to UC and Grom'gol in Stranglethorn (which is two zones now instead of one), while the western tower flies to Thunderbluff and the Borean Tundra in Northrend. To get up there, just look for the elevators, there's at least three surrounding the plateau. You'll also find a Flight trainer and mount vendor near the FP, and I'm almost certain the trainer offers regular Apprentice and Journeyman Riding along with the flight options.
Thank you for your help, I was able to get my riding training and now even have a nifty flying mount...and it only cost me nearly all my gold. But no matter.

Can I still make money doing arcanite transmutations or is there some other way I can replenish my gold?
I'd say low level transmutations probably won't make you much gold. You should focus on leveling up and getting to where you can make max level flasks, and also sell any extra herbs you have.

You shouldn't need too much gold while leveling up though.

There is going to be A LOT new to you, which is why I love this forum. If you have any questions about anything don't be afraid to come here and seek soem help.
Click the magnifying glass on your mini-map in the corner. Make sure the "Flight Master" option is set to display. That should help you find a flight master in Thrallmar who can offer you a paid flight to Shattrath.

Since you should be questing in Outland anyway - I'd recommend setting your hearthstone to an inn in Shattrath once you've chosen either the Aldor or Scryers faction. You can get flights to whatever questing zone you're in from Shattrath and Shattrath has a bank and auction house, and all the trainers you need. Also, the big building in the center of Shattrath has portals to both Orgrimmar and Stormwind for quick access to those cities.

I believe you purchase the flying skill and your first flying mount in Thrallmar, can anyone correct me on that if it's wrong?
10/07/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Rhymetha
I believe you purchase the flying skill and your first flying mount in Thrallmar, can anyone correct me on that if it's wrong?

You can (Honor Hold for Alliance), or you can get it back in Org/SW. Both use that rep now instead of having their own rep (while the trainers in Shadowmoon still use the old Thrallmar/HH rep), so it's more a matter of convenience. IIRC you can even get the Flight Master's License and Cold Weather Flying.
10/07/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Gakkun
Can I still make money doing arcanite transmutations or is there some other way I can replenish my gold?

Arcanite is no longer used for much outside of crafting Thunderfury and Sulfuras at this point. The changes to professions with Mists of Pandaria I believe removed the need for the arcanite rod for enchanters. If a lot of people on your server get bored and start farming for the Molten Core legendaries (they can be solo farmed), Arcanite may be worth transmuting still, as it does not incur a daily cooldown. Unfortunately, this will not be happening right now.

If you have the essence of water to essence of air transmute recipe learned, essence of air is used in the +agility weapon enchants used on heirloom weapons and a lot of people are leveling monks that use agility as a main stat. If you can find essence of water cheap it may be worth it to buy and xmute to air, although it depends on your server. (You can look at www.theunderminejournal.com to check your server's AH for the last two weeks to see if this is something that sells, and what kind of prices you're looking at.)

Since you're also an herbalist, I'd also recommend farming herbs to sell on the AH to make up some of your gold. Goldthorn and briarthorn have always been good sellers for me, or just sell what you find leveling up herbalism in Outland!
I do have a bunch of Diablo 3 gold, and I noticed on my realm forum that that can solve my WoW gold problems. It's good to know I can earn gold in-game though.
10/08/2012 04:50 AMPosted by Gakkun
I do have a bunch of Diablo 3 gold, and I noticed on my realm forum that that can solve my WoW gold problems.

That's an unsupported transaction and will likely not go over well, too much opportunity for someone to get scammed, and since it's an unsupported transaction, Blizz won't be able to help you if you do get scammed.

Also, it's in-game for in-game but the games are different, so I'm not sure if Blizzard will see this as gold-buying (a bannable offense in WoW) or not. Especially since D3 allows in-game goods to be bought for real world cash, and then allows them to be resold for in-game gold.
10/08/2012 05:39 AMPosted by Ftyvdryhc
How does that work, I have Diab gold...

I went to his realm forum and saw the thread he's talking about. It's basically a random player with lots of D3 gold trying to find someone to give him WoW gold for it.

This involves both logging into one game, making the first half of the trade, then both logging into the second game and making the second half of the trade. There's too much of an opportunity for one to scam the other, after all, someone has to go first and you have to trust that the other player actually has what they said they did AND will follow through on their half of the deal.
Just questing through Outlands casually from 60-70 will net you 1-2k. If you go for Loremaster of Outlands you'll get close to 5k. Gold is a lot easier to make than it was in Vanilla.
At level 62 you are probably doing the forest right outside of Shattrath, I forget the name now. With herbalism, you should be able to make a bit of gold. Also the random dungeons are probably going strong right now, with pandas trying to level up. You can bet you will get into a few groups of nothing but pandas, and then yourself. It's kind of funny.

When you hit 68, go ahead and go to Northrend.