Windwalker monks

Arenas
Post Limit:
How are windwalker monks going in 90 arena ? are they strong?
If by strong you mean:

-little to no mobility except to run away or miss things that are moving with Flying Buggy Kick of the Unworking Glyph. We don't REALLY need roll to be a charge or shadow step, do we? Oh wait, those abilities aren't counter able by the guy starting to move towards us....

- No proper offensive CDs except brew and a tiger that can be CCed for its entire duration

- no way to break roots

- no way to heal ourselves, expel harm is horrendous. I love watching it get fully absorbed by Necrotic like it ain't no thang

- buggy defensive CDs, diffuse doesn't REALLY need to reflect those DoTs, does it?

- no reliable CC. A blind on a short CD but that has a mere range AND positional requirement and a stun that barely EVER lands if the target is moving. Maybe once for every 10 uses. Pretty much only used as a chain after a disable root

But, hey, our kick is OP and disable is amazing. RsK is ok in terms of damage and that increase is amazing with Xuen. Our tiger is really good when it can connect and can pretty much solo crappy 1800 kids who don't know what frost nova is.

So, sarcasm aside, no. We're not a good class. We're not even a decent class. Anyone who says otherwise is playing at 1800 or is looking at the world through rose colored glasses. I may not be the best player... 2x duelist warr, 2200 every season on warr, Mage and Druid. But I'm decent and I can tell when a class is terrible. This feels like S11 warrior with a little more damage and a little less (ok a lot less) utility. Oh and a god mode cool down (ToK, which I forgot to mention before now, expect a nerd on that.)

Posting on this toon because I forgot the authenticator for my monk account.
Oh, I forgot, we have no passive movement speed increase because that makes sense. This means that the chances are even more slim that we'll ever catch up with anything to snare it.
do they do enough damage to solo an average healer?
If a monk ever killed me solo I'd have to server and name change for shame.

You wont solo an average healer...maybe a semi-retarded one with no cds if he is afk
Went through Maldivas twitch page a bit ago and he had an arena match against a Resto shammy and Windwalker. I noticed a lot of 50k noncrit hits on Maldiva, and the monk almost actually killed him. He couldn't get away from the monk everytime he ported / Demonic gateway the Monk would just roll or the torpedo kick thing and be right ontop of him again.

And the Monk and Shammy were backpeddaling. It seems like Monks are decent to me.
I think it's too early to tell about monks, but they don't seem to be OP like Deathknights were when they released.
Long story short, were complete garbage with no burst, and CC prevention steroid, unlike BM huntards and Avatar Warriors.

and no, we can't kill healers.
Aside from that, if your look at some of our abilities like Zen Sphere, Chi Burst, Chi Torpedo, Path of Blossoms, they are complete GARBAGE.

Zen Sphere and Chi Burst cost 2 Chi (which is a lot) and deals an incredibly retarded damage of 3k out of 300k+ hp that we have now.
Its bad but its not as bad. Damage is really RNG on the same target, same buffs, same set up I've had over a 100k dps swing from an RSK on an Spriest, a 50k RSK and a 156k RSk, no absorbs no CD difference, flag debuff, beserking, ect. That said our damage in PvP only comes from two places, FoF and RSK and RSK needs to crit to be noticeable and FoF needs to hit every tick, and crit to do comparable damage to most classes.

Defensively we're broken. I've had ToK completely eaten through, watched it tick on a DK with no CD's left and be nearly unphased by the dot damage. Its mitigated far too my through resil and this was mentioned early on. Diffuse magic is nice for a quick dispel and damage reduction but with the nature of dots everything is back on you in a matter of seconds with little done overall. Healing wise again it requires crit, but EH can be good but its variance is rather extreme. I've had 100k heals from it and I've had it crit for 40k, no NS no ticket procs same gear. I can usually balance out about equal against your typical non warrior/hunter with EH and Chi Wave on CD but fall behind and die when they pop cooldowns.

I'm going to be pulling together what I hope can be a compiled list of issues here in the next few week once I'm full geared and have had more time on the live version. Basically complaints are:

Aimed Abilities
FoF
ToK
ZS/CW/EH healing
Defenses as a whole
Lack of controlled burst / damage
No Offensive CD's
Xuen targetable.
Gap closing / Roll distance
Lack of base run speed.

Don't think I missed anything but if there are any other complaints others have lemme know and I'll look into it before a full report.

EDIT: Forgot Spear Hand Strikes expensive cost.
I think they wanted to start monks out weak and move their way up. They basically didnt wanna repeat season 5 again. Let's face it DKS when they first came out brought a new meaning to the term broken class.
Its bad but its not as bad. Damage is really RNG on the same target, same buffs, same set up I've had over a 100k dps swing from an RSK on an Spriest, a 50k RSK and a 156k RSk, no absorbs no CD difference, flag debuff, beserking, ect. That said our damage in PvP only comes from two places, FoF and RSK and RSK needs to crit to be noticeable and FoF needs to hit every tick, and crit to do comparable damage to most classes.

Defensively we're broken. I've had ToK completely eaten through, watched it tick on a DK with no CD's left and be nearly unphased by the dot damage. Its mitigated far too my through resil and this was mentioned early on. Diffuse magic is nice for a quick dispel and damage reduction but with the nature of dots everything is back on you in a matter of seconds with little done overall. Healing wise again it requires crit, but EH can be good but its variance is rather extreme. I've had 100k heals from it and I've had it crit for 40k, no NS no ticket procs same gear. I can usually balance out about equal against your typical non warrior/hunter with EH and Chi Wave on CD but fall behind and die when they pop cooldowns.

I'm going to be pulling together what I hope can be a compiled list of issues here in the next few week once I'm full geared and have had more time on the live version. Basically complaints are:

Aimed Abilities
FoF
ToK
ZS/CW/EH healing
Defenses as a whole
Lack of controlled burst / damage
No Offensive CD's
Xuen targetable.
Gap closing / Roll distance
Lack of base run speed.

Don't think I missed anything but if there are any other complaints others have lemme know and I'll look into it before a full report.

You really hit a 156k on a pvp geared priest? I don't think I've hit more than 85k on pvp geared people without zerking or orb in new bg...

In arena/bgs in general I think the lack of run speed buff+ the fact that our serpent kick is buggy and will fly past people. I've tried using with and without glpyh and it doesn't always work as well as I would like.

I wish black out kick had a dps boost, or that I could hit 100k+ rising suns.

I really enjoy karma and diffuse magic ( I like to get dotted, send the dots back to the person, then hit them hard). Fortifying brew is really awesome, and zen med is really nice too in certain situations.

FoF is really easy to get off with pvp bonus.

I also really like transcendence.

All in all, fix some of the buggy moves, + movement speed on talent,+ little dps increase, increase self heal a little and I would be happy.
DKs and Monks can't even be compared. We knew right off the bat that DKs were going to be insane in S5 due to class design and anti-caster abilities so over-the-top that nothing had even been seen like it at the time. Monks just looked like crap the entire time.
10/03/2012 09:28 PMPosted by Ultíma
DKs and Monks can't even be compared. We knew right off the bat that DKs were going to be insane in S5 due to class design and anti-caster abilities so over-the-top that nothing had even been seen like it at the time. Monks just looked like crap the entire time.
Im just saying they are both classes that were introduced with an expansion.
- no way to break roots

- no way to heal ourselves, expel harm is horrendous. I love watching it get fully absorbed by Necrotic like it ain't no thang
I'm afraid you're wrong here, chi wave provides an amazing amount of healing, and tigers lust removes all movement impairing effects as well as increasing your movement speed by 60% for 6 seconds. You listed all the cons, which every class has, some more than others. Don't be so pessimistic.
10/03/2012 06:24 AMPosted by Ilnez
We're not a good class. We're not even a decent class. Anyone who says otherwise is playing at 1800
I strongly disagree, there is a definitive learning curve, and when that curve is surpassed, then we can determine how monks are in arena.
Monks are completely worthless in arenas. Many of our skills are bugged and simply don't work as intended (diffuse magic). We have no god mode cooldowns like half the classes have at the moment (stampede, avatar, whatever the hell locks do that makes them heal for their entire health bar plus absorb everything). Our 4pc PvP bonus is possibly the worst set bonus of all time. Its incredibly situational, seems to really only be effective at overcoming cheat death mechanics, and to my knowledge only the DK and Rogue have those now.

If anyone on the other team roots at all, we are completely screwed. We can break a root once every 30 seconds, so at any point they root us within each of those 30 seconds. While I realize other classes have to deal with this as well... their gap closers actually COUNTER roots, either by making them immune to them or simply just charging the whole way to their opponent (or pulling their opponent to them). Our gap closers are actually countered BY roots. If we are rooted during a roll or serpent kick, we dont finish the move, we stay put right there. That doesn't happen with any other gap closers. DK's with the roots on Chains, as well as frost mages, are impossible to kill.

Path of Blossoms isn't even worth mentioning as a skill. Do people actually use that waste of energy?

Paralyze, while a short CD, can only be used from melee range unless you want to lose out on an AoE stun (than again that stun is only 5 yards so its INCREDIBLY hard to hit with if the enemy is moving). Its also very susceptible to latency since it could look like you are behind them, but the server says you aren't, resulting in a half duration CC.

Touch of Karma is our only good ability in the whole bunch.

I am incredibly bitter as you can tell... I just spent a week and a half playing this toon rather extensively, gearing him out and doing dailies and the like. I have a full set of PvP gear now through battlegrounds. I was VERY disappointed when i stepped into the arena. I absolutely loved the class and its play style until I realized how weak we really were.
Guys, please take note the glove bonus too. Roll/Chi Torpedo/Serpent Kick will remove snare and movement impairing effects.
Monks are are the weakest class in every area in pvp. Every class is better in every way. Monks are a burden to pvp atm. Plain and simple
- no way to break roots

I'm afraid you're wrong here, chi wave provides an amazing amount of healing, and tigers lust removes all movement impairing effects as well as increasing your movement speed by 60% for 6 seconds. You listed all the cons, which every class has, some more than others. Don't be so pessimistic.

Tiger Lust is 100% worthless against good players. I won't bother to go into why..
Chi-Wave is 100% worthless outside of duels and 1v1 BG encounters against bads.

When people say the class sucks they are talking about in the pvp that actually matters now dueling outside of Stormwind or facing bads in random BGs.