How well can pally solo old raids?

Paladin
Post Limit:
Not talking about the faceroll level 60 stuff that everyone could do at level 70. Can Pally solo stuff like BT, Sunwell, Hyjal, or even ICC or Cata raids? Also for some can you do them as Ret or do you need to be prot for most?
I did sunwell (minus kalecgos because he can't be solo'd) as a ret. Some fights (okay, most fights) required I go prot, but I still used my ret gear. The only fight I ret'd was felmyst...and the trash.

The twins were an absolute nightmare and I conclude that I was just a bit lucky. I've tried to do them again a number of times and it's damn near impossible to duplicate my results. They each have a 6 second "stun" on separate timers that causes you to wander through fire for half the fight. Get two of them in a row at a bad time and you just watch your health swindle from 75 to zero as you wander aimlessly.

If anyone has tips for soloing the twins more reliably, I'd love to hear em.
And what kind of gear was all this in? Greens/blues from quests? Heroic loot? Any epics/raid gear?
Hyjal is easy, even at 85. Only the first boss is in any way dangerous.

I don't think you could solo BT. You could probably do the first few bosses, but the rest are blocked by Reliquary of Souls which requires lots of interrupts.
I know no one is better than DKs but are Pallys at least better than Hunters or Druids?
10/06/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Liliana
I know no one is better than DKs but are Pallys at least better than Hunters or Druids?

My friend that I do old raids with is a druid, and since 5.0.4 when he tanks Onyxia or Malygos I have to use Flash of Lights on him, whereas when I'm tanking them I don't need any outside healing. He's a better player and better geared than I was when we were doing them at 85. (Those are the only two raids we've done since 5.0.4 that do any sort of significant damage, so it may not be a totally accurate portrayal.)
10/06/2012 07:24 AMPosted by Liliana
Not talking about the faceroll level 60 stuff that everyone could do at level 70. Can Pally solo stuff like BT, Sunwell, Hyjal, or even ICC or Cata raids? Also for some can you do them as Ret or do you need to be prot for most?

Haven't tried at level 90 yet, but to give you an idea, at level 85 in almost full H Dragon Soul gear I found Black Temple to be quite soloable up until Reliquary and I have been in the habit of taking down Prince Kael'thas weekly to see if he would be so generous as to share his favorite Phoenix (but to no avail). I never attempted Illidari Council by myself because the fight is literally endless if you can't interrupt most of the Priest's heals (which I knew I couldn't). Hyjal is way easier to solo than BT.

Unfortunately, there are some fights that just require additional people because of certain mechanics. Sunwell, BT, and others, all have encounters that will just stop a solo-er cold no matter what class you are. At 85, I found that Northrend 10 man raids were pretty easy as a Ret, so I imagine that a fully geared 90 will push them over without breaking a sweat. I found myself needing a healer friend for the 25-man versions of those raids, especially post-5.0 after Last Word was removed from our toolkit. Keep in mind that a low-geared level 90 is actually worse at soloing old content than a high-geared level 85, so save yourself some frustration and get up to at least 90 heroic dungeon gear first.
Generally speaking, if you couldn't do it at 85 due to mechanics you probably can't still.
As of yesterday with 476 ilvl, i solo'd a full clear of ICC, including LK (as ret). It requires you to be fairly tactical and to think on your feet, especially on fights like valithria or Blood Queen that require you to squeeze every little bit out of the class, but it was a great experience. If you have any ambitions of solo'ing ICC, go for it. Cool gear for transmog, and its just fun to solo kill LK. You may have trouble with saurfang though, he heals quite a bit. Good luck!

P.S. I did 4 fights on heroic. Marrowgar, Lady Deathwisper, Gunship and Blood Council.
They way up'ed the damage of rocket shirt jumping and full heat cannon blast, so its fairly easy. Just pew with the cannon till its frozen, jump over, burst down the mage, jump back, rinse and repeat. It will be close (my ship had 19k hp left) but a win's a win.
How do you solo Brutallus? He hits me super hard and ends up killing me when im ret..
12/01/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Indie
How do you solo Brutallus? He hits me super hard and ends up killing me when im ret..

at that ilvl it will be hard. its kind of a dps race with healing phases...

I go sacred shield and HA. with the glyph of avenging wrath for healing

Start fight, ramp up goak and inq. Blow ha and wings and wreck him for 20sec.

After that survive as many slashes as you can until you are in trouble (6-10 stacks prob will be max). Divine protection and dev aura reduce damage taken by these.

Pop divine shield to wipe the stacks and hope you can drop him before the stacks get too high again.
As of yesterday with 476 ilvl, i solo'd a full clear of ICC, including LK (as ret). It requires you to be fairly tactical and to think on your feet, especially on fights like valithria or Blood Queen that require you to squeeze every little bit out of the class, but it was a great experience. If you have any ambitions of solo'ing ICC, go for it. Cool gear for transmog, and its just fun to solo kill LK. You may have trouble with saurfang though, he heals quite a bit. Good luck!

P.S. I did 4 fights on heroic. Marrowgar, Lady Deathwisper, Gunship and Blood Council.

Edit: Even with 2 people our encounter reset every single time. Just bugged out mid fight and ported us to where we are supposed to get on the ship at.
my sunwell solo vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg6CUEVrKks
all ret, even brut
I soloed BT in Ret, it's not impossible but it's highly annoying due to a lot of the mechanics.