What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been & Changes

Achievements
So I found today, after frantically grinding to to 89 finish my last requirement (Coren Direbrew), the achievement, What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been had been changed to waste my several years worth of effort. The only reason I had opted to accomplish this achievement, as you can see by my score I am not an achievement hound, was to obtain 310% Flying Speed. I came back to WoW after a break last year, right after Brewfest and missed the opportunity to complete the Brewfest achievement back then. I spent the last several years accomplishing the other holiday achievements and then this last year finishing off the ones I had yet to accomplish, such as School of Hardknocks the one many PVE'rs know to be the nightmarishly hard to accomplish.

As of the new Mists expansion and the recent major patch the 310% flying award for this achievement has been removed. I waited an entire year and worked hard to get this achievement so I wouldn't have to pay for 310% flying. I seldom get to play very often, and when I play I don't spend my time on the auction house or typically grinding dailies. Money comes much harder when you don't have a lot of time to play.

Why on earth did you remove this Blizzard? I have heard a reason be that it was because of the changes to the achievement system being account wide. Even then, why? If you put in that kind of effort shouldn't your flying just be account wide at that point? Why waste the efforts of us players that have worked so hard? A chumpy mount (I have others that are rarer and much prettier) is not worth the effort put into this achievement.

For the first time in the 7 years I have played this game I am sad and disappointed. As of the changes of this one patch my years worth of work have gone down the drain. Additionally, the class I have been playing consistently, through all of its various changes (my druid), has been rendered unplayble as a feral druid. I am not a rage quitter. I am a dedicated player that has gone through the paces that this company has set. But I have now reached a point, where this game has disappointed me and left me feeling depressed. No game should every make someone feel depressed or waste a person's valuable time and effort. If you want upset your customers, waste their precious time, that is the best way. Games are supposed to be fun. They require hard work at times, but they should always be fun.

I hope that this achievement can be reverted back, I hope that they patch again and my druid is once again fun to play. I regret having agreed to the WoW Annual Pass, because for the first time in years I have a distinct desire to no longer play. I am sad and disappointed by your lack of attention to your players efforts. The fact that you don't care about your player's opinions was obvious when you never fixed the suggestion box in the Mists Beta, in addition to the ignored protests to changes on the forums. Thanks for the fun years worth of play, I have always come back (which is why I agreed to the annual pass, but maybe it is truly time to move on to another game. Something that is actually worth my time and effort, and rewards it.
They actually took away the 310% reward a year and a half (or maybe it was 2 years?) ago. So many people complained that they were in the middle of getting the achievment (IIRC, this change happened in like August?... there were only a few more holidays left for the year) and it wasn't fair to yank it from under them in the middle of the year.

So, Blizz returned it with the warning that it would eventually be taken away again and was only left in to help those people currently progressing on it a little more time to finish it.

Pretty much, you're too late. They extended it by many more months than they even originally concluded that they would have it available.

10/06/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Jaskra
I hope that they patch again and my druid is once again fun to play.

Uhm... if your toon isn't fun to play because you can't fly faster for free... you kind've have some messed up priorities... just saying.

Go buy it. It's not prohibitively expensive at all. You'll make over 7k in quest rewards just leveling to 90.
They actually took away the 310% reward a year and a half (or maybe it was 2 years?) ago. So many people complained that they were in the middle of getting the achievment (IIRC, this change happened in like August?... there were only a few more holidays left for the year) and it wasn't fair to yank it from under them in the middle of the year.

So, Blizz returned it with the warning that it would eventually be taken away again and was only left in to help those people currently progressing on it a little more time to finish it.

Pretty much, you're too late. They extended it by many more months than they even originally concluded that they would have it available.

Uhm... if your toon isn't fun to play because you can't fly faster for free... you kind've have some messed up priorities... just saying.

Go buy it. It's not prohibitively expensive at all. You'll make over 7k in quest rewards just leveling to 90.

Okay, I'm too late you say, doesn't mean I still didn't get screwed. I didn't have much of a choice on that since Brewfest came after the patch, if it had come before I would have gotten it. If I had known, which of course there was no way to know, I wouldn't have bothered getting the remaining achievements I needed this last year. As for accruing gold, I have not made that kind of money getting to 90 you're overestimating the amount awarded for quest giving. All I have spent in gold is on gear repairs (which have been very few), so I'm pretty accurate on the incoming gold. In concerns for buying the flying, I'm not going to buy it, it's not worth the gold. That's why I did the achievement in the first place.

Apparently you misread or misunderstood my statement, I was referring to druid class changes. I even mentioned "class" within the same sentence. My druid being rendered unplayable has nothing to do with flying. There is something seriously wrong with patch changes when tank specialization (Guardian) outdoes DPS specialization (Feral) in damage. Ironically, the Guardian spec is now starting to fail at dps the higher in level it has gone. This amongst other changes have killed my enjoyment of playing her. As I said previously I've gone through the motions with all the other changes, no previous patch or expansion has ever been this detrimental to the play style of the druid. Please read thoroughly before you insult someone, and presume to tell them what their priorities are.
FYI, achievement forum isn't the place to complain about class changes. Please read the forum TOS before you post.

Okay, I'm too late you say, doesn't mean I still didn't get screwed. I didn't have much of a choice on that since Brewfest came after the patch, if it had come before I would have gotten it. If I had known, which of course there was no way to know, I wouldn't have bothered getting the remaining achievements I needed this last year.

Other than ALL the forum posts, blog posts, wowiki posts, etc talking about the changes the first time they were made? Oh yeah, and the blue posts talking about how they were only giving back the reward for a "short time" which actually turned into almost 2 years? "There was no way to know" is completely and utterly false.

As for accruing gold, I have not made that kind of money getting to 90 you're overestimating the amount awarded for quest giving. All I have spent in gold is on gear repairs (which have been very few), so I'm pretty accurate on the incoming gold. In concerns for buying the flying, I'm not going to buy it, it's not worth the gold. That's why I did the achievement in the first place.

*shrug* I barely had 1k in the bank when MoP hit. When I dinged 90 (and took my screenshot) I had just over 8k. All I did was quest with maybe like 8 dungeon runs in there total. AND I still hadn't quested through Townlong or Dread Wastes... so there's quite a few quests left to do and get max amount of gold for them. Not to mention the stupid-easy dailies that are in abundance.

No overestimation here. Especially since Cata levelling from 80-85 netted about 6k as well, I'm still not seeing a problem here. It's ridiculously stupid to make money right now. Everything is overpriced and easy to unload. Hell, golden carp are selling for like 250g a stack on the AH on my server... they take like 10 minutes to catch.

And if it's not worth the gold to you, then honestly it's not worth complaining about. Heaven forbid you hit 90 and find out how much it costs to fly in Pandaria. xD
How many years have the Holiday Meta Achievements been in WoW now..?
Guy is going to be really mad when he finds out being able to fly in mop costs 5k gold. LOL.
10/06/2012 10:32 PMPosted by Buffjob
Guy is going to be really mad when he finds out being able to fly in mop costs 5k gold. LOL.

2.5k but yeah.... lol.
So you're presuming every player has the time to scour the forums? Unless you're reading forums when not playing (This is bordering on obsession folks, at this point you need to get help with addiction. I'm serious the only people I know that regularly read the forums when not playing are addicted and some have quit the game because they finally acknowledged it.), have a question, want to discuss something, have a suggestion, or a complaint people don't typically bother checking the forums that I'm aware of. Most people need some kind of trigger to check the forums, at least most of the people that I have ever met that play. Players tend to prefer to play vs reading about playing unless it's one of these circumstances.

So because I had no cause to look for information on this achievement in the forums how was I to know? The original removal of 310% flying reward for this achievement may have even been during a time I wasn't playing regularly, which has happened over the years because actual life takes you away from the game. The change wasn't even in the recent patch note changes, let alone Beta. I read all of them if I had known there was going to be a change this patch I wouldn't have bothered. Why the hell would anyone check something constantly? For fear it might change? I guess so, but it seems kind of paranoid to do that. You say it's not worth complaining about if it's not worth the money, again, the complaint is about the wasted effort.

I'll see if your statement is accurate at 90, one level to go. I have literally only quested from 85-90, no dailies, no auctioning, no farming, and only 1 dungeon and on rested xp (so you go through less quests). I specifically grinded to 89 to obtain this achievement. I focused on nothing but questing through to that level so that my efforts toward this achievement would not got to waste just because of a level requirement (Coren Direbrew), because of my limited time to play the game.

You previously stated your gold count was just from questing, I state again that is inaccurate and now you have stated that your gold count is actually a combination of things not just quest rewards. You say its easy to earn gold based on this combination. I agree it is easier to earn gold with that combination. Limited time inevitably limits your capability of attaining gold. Plain and simple. I typically have only a couple hours to play about every two weeks. Why would I waste those hours doing something boring like grinding dailies, farming, or focusing on auctions?

As for the flight cost in new expansions for the new zone, why would I be mad? There is always a new price on flying in a new zone. I've been playing for 7 years; I already knew that was coming, duh. It used to be 5000g back in the Outland days. Which was a pain to earn, but back then I didn't have the life demands I have now. I'm not mad in the first place folks just sad that my efforts went to waste.

If you don't have something particularly constructive to contribute beyond roflcoptering at perceived notions about how I may react to something why bother responding to this post? At least Amaranthas had a constructive argument.

As for the class information, the main topic was in fact this achievement. And I did in fact cover it. It was not a post exclusively on the druid class in the achievements forum. Otherwise, yes it would have violated the terms of service. The class changes were side note and point of culmination in my disappointment with this expansion. Again it ties into wasted effort and dedication, to the class and to the game in general.
10/07/2012 12:06 AMPosted by Jaskra
(This is bordering on obsession folks, at this point you need to get help with addiction. I'm serious the only people I know that regularly read the forums when not playing are addicted and some have quit the game because they finally acknowledged it.),

Lol... now who's being insulting? It's not "obsession/addiction" to post/regularly read forums/blogs/websites with information on a hobby that you happen to enjoy in order to learn more about it. Simply enjoying gaming isn't a mental illness and frankly, it's quite insulting to people who actually *HAVE* mental illnesses and serious problems with them. Throughout the years I have regularly at one point or another posted/regularly read forums dedicated to soap, perfume, firearms, military wives and car racing. Am I now addicted to all of those? Lol... *rolls eyes*

Players tend to prefer to play vs reading about playing unless it's one of these circumstances.

Yeah, I think the members that post regularly here are gonna disagree with you there. But whatever... apparently anyone who actually enjoys learning more about their hobbies (as well as helping people out answering questions) is ADDICTED... lol. How exactly are these people who are spurred to post here by some random occurrance going to get an answer to their questions if not for regular readers who take their time to patiently answer and assist them? Oh right... only addicts would know the answers because they play this game too much.

The change wasn't even in the recent patch note changes, let alone Beta. I read all of them if I had known there was going to be a change this patch I wouldn't have bothered. Why the hell would anyone check something constantly? For fear it might change? I guess so, but it seems kind of paranoid to do that.

You say you've been a player for how long??? Lol... it must not have been for very long if you think Blizzard announces EVERY. SINGLE. CHANGE. IN. DETAIL. to the patch notes. I'm laughing so hard over this..... xD

You say it's not worth complaining about if it's not worth the money, again, the complaint is about the wasted effort.

Wasted effort? You got a boatload of achievement points, got to experience almost every facet of gameplay WoW has to offer and a sweet looking mount.

You previously stated your gold count was just from questing, I state again that is inaccurate and now you have stated that your gold count is actually a combination of things not just quest rewards.

I don't think running 7-8 regular dungeons over the span of 5 levels qualifies as making a huge enough discrepancy for you to insinuate that I'm wrong... lol, but whatever.

I typically have only a couple hours to play about every two weeks. Why would I waste those hours doing something boring like grinding dailies, farming, or focusing on auctions?

In order to obtain the things you want? ie - 310% flying. You think getting the achievement now was a "wasted effort"? How about just spending that time getting gold for a "guaranteed effort" at buying the riding skill? It probably wouldn't have taken you anywhere near the same amount of time, casual or not. You can't have it both ways... either you actually enjoyed doing the achievements over grinding gold in whatever fashion or you didn't. If it was only about the reward then grinding the gold would've been way quicker and you'd have your skill already.

Also, if you hate grinding dailies, farming and focusing on auctions, then you're going to hate MoP and should probably just quit now because that's pretty much all you do at level 90.
You probably could have made the gold to pay for 310% in the time it took to write that essay lol
10/07/2012 01:58 AMPosted by Lethalock
You probably could have made the gold to pay for 310% in the time it took to write that essay lol

Some folks write expediently. =P Writing is a forte and fun to boot. ^_~
Wow, I'm afraid you misunderstood me m'dear. I'll re-phrase since I have apparently insulted you and did not mean to. I am not saying that everyone that ever views the forums regularly is an addict. I'm saying that there are some that can become so obsessed that they will use the forums to get their "fix" until they can get play time in. (I.E. they're at a computer or on the phone w/o access to game and just have to have something of WoW). My apologies for not being specific enough. My example was given as such because the people I know who regularly check, and I mean every day for several hours a day, were in fact obsessed. Additionally, I have met many players in both real life and the game who dedicate so many hours that it is detrimental to their health and general life. Ex. Choosing hard core raiding over looking for/keeping a job to the point of going into debt over it. I know people this has happened to. Gaming addiction is an actual addiction. Addiction isn't exclusive to alcohol and drugs.

I did not mean to imply that that category applied to you, Amaranthas; it was written for the people that are addicted to take a look at themselves (anyone can read this post). The hardest part of addiction is acknowledgement, and sometimes a nudge can help plant the seed for people to admit it to themselves. Knowing the game and helping others is what forums are for, using them even regularly does not make you an addict it is dependent on whether or not you're dedicating hours upon hours to it on top of your game play. My point is that not every player, especially casual players, take the time to go through the forums regularly.

Lol, no I don't expect Blizzard to post every single little thing in the patches. I've been around long enough to not expect that. I'm still finding tweaks in the class changes each time I play, and going "oh that's gone" or "huh, this does that now...." My point is it wasn't there either for me to find out.

85-90 leveling for gold, I'm just basing my original reply on your original statement. Questing only, you've now said it was a combination of questing, dungeons, and farming along the way (something about fish). Just going by what you said. *shrug* We'll agree to disagree, I've not seen those numbers, apparently you have.

Yes, I maintain wasted effort, achievement points are worthless. The points themselves mean nothing. Individual achievements (esp. raid challenges) mean you've accomplished an difficult task, those mean something. They have yet to implement a system in which these points can be used. They are a score, nothing more. Perhaps it means more to you, that's you're prerogative, but they mean nothing to me, as evidenced by my score. Most if not all of those achievements were done at level cap, no xp received as such. Additionally, I had already done most of those achievements in the years prior before the system was implemented and had to redo them specifically for the meta. So as for exploring the gameplay avenues, I already did it and had to do it again.

The mount is chumpy, as previously stated I have a prettier and rarer ones. It's hot pink, probably the ugliest (this is personal opinion obviously) drake in the game, I never would have done this achievement if it was just to receive that mount lol. As for building the money instead of the achievements...let's go with that argument. When you've got limited time it goes to other things that are higher priority like professions, dungeon/raid repairs, etc. You know, more useful stuff that truly affects your gameplay, particularly with other players and your guild. Flying; however, it's a luxury item. When you don't have a lot of time to play, it's much much harder accumulate the money and pay for the other things.

As for end game, dear Amaranthas, need I remind you I've been around the block? I've been at every endgame, including Classic. I'm well aware what comes at the end, lol. The game is only as fun as the PVE (In my case I prefer not to PVP) content is entertaining. This of course only lasts for so long. Enjoy your grind (farming, rep, gear, etc) if you find it fun. I'll find other things to entertain me once I've enjoyed the available content. =)
10/07/2012 04:10 AMPosted by Jaskra
Gaming addiction is an actual addiction. Addiction isn't exclusive to alcohol and drugs.

I'm well aware.

Questing only, you've now said it was a combination of questing, dungeons, and farming along the way (something about fish).

No, I simply stated that fish are selling in the AH at a ridiculous amount (as are most other gathering mats). I haven't sold anything at the AH in many months even, simply an observation I have made as to how easy it is to make gold right now. My figures are based entirely on questing with less than 10 regular dungeon runs as I leveled from 85-90. Oh wait, I take that back... I did do Coren 24 times in order to get my trinket and pet. Pretty sure that place isn't a huge fountain of gold either though. All of the dungeons *might* make a difference of a couple hundred gold combined and is pretty much negligible when speaking of thousands.

Yes, I maintain wasted effort, achievement points are worthless. The points themselves mean nothing. Individual achievements (esp. raid challenges) mean you've accomplished an difficult task, those mean something. They have yet to implement a system in which these points can be used.

And they've said repeatedly they won't. *shrug*

As for building the money instead of the achievements...let's go with that argument. When you've got limited time it goes to other things that are higher priority like professions, dungeon/raid repairs, etc. You know, more useful stuff that truly affects your gameplay, particularly with other players and your guild. Flying; however, it's a luxury item. When you don't have a lot of time to play, it's much much harder accumulate the money and pay for the other things.

So you state that you have other higher priorities.... and then complain that your SELF-CHOSEN lower priorities aren't being met? And this is Blizzard's fault... how? The point still very much stands: if it was that important to you to have 310% flying, you would've had it already. Either through a guaranteed conduit such as paying for it. Or through a non-guaranteed conduit such as achievements (which get changed on a fairly regular basis with no notice).

It's been almost 2 years (minus like 10 days) since Blizzard introduced 310% flying for sale. Prior to that, it was only gained for specific mounts through difficult achievements (such as the Ulduar metas) and the WALSTIB achievement. It was not for every mount you had either, just the specific ones that had that speed. When 4.0.1 dropped, it was able to be bought and applied to all of your mounts (argueably to give even more people easy access to a great perk) and when the reward was first removed from the meta. Since so many people complained, it was put back temporarily... that was 2 years ago.

Since they were even introduced Blizzard has bent over backwards to accomodate players in getting this skill. First it was only available to the hardcore elite players. Then in an achievement easily obtained by most everyone. Then available for sale. 5K is not prohibitively expensive in the least for anyone that makes this a priority.

As for end game, dear Amaranthas, need I remind you I've been around the block? I've been at every endgame, including Classic. I'm well aware what comes at the end, lol.

It's not like this conversation has happened before so I'm not sure why you're "reminding" me of a completely non-relevant point? I've been playing since Classic too. Do we get to bake cookies together and watch Dirty Dancing while braiding each other's hair now?
As I said previously, I have a level to go. We shall see if the figures match up. *shrug*

How on earth you can stand fishing is beyond me. O_o Kudos, you have more patience for mundane tasks than I. Most farming, when seldom done, requires Vent or an audiobook.

I am aware they have no intention of implementing an award system for achievement scores/points. As such it's useless, at least to me, as previously stated.

I am well aware of 310% flyings previous lack of availability. And once again I said I am saddened by having wasted my time on the achievement and not receiving the only reward I sought. I never said I was blaming Blizzard for my priorities. You asked me for an explanation for why I never bought it and worked on the achievement instead, I explained. You're presuming too much to say that I blame Blizzard for prioritizing my gold elsewhere.

I reminded you of how long I have been playing because you have responded to me as if I don't know the game that I have been playing these many years and/or am unfamiliar with it or how Blizzard works. In the initial post of this thread I stated that I had been playing for 7 years. Additionally in other replies I have stated I have played for a very long time.Case in point:

Ex. 1: "You say you've been a player for how long??? Lol... it must not have been for very long if you think Blizzard announces EVERY. SINGLE. CHANGE. IN. DETAIL. to the patch notes. I'm laughing so hard over this..... xD"

My Response: "Lol, no I don't expect Blizzard to post every single little thing in the patches. I've been around long enough to not expect that. I'm still finding tweaks in the class changes each time I play, and going "oh that's gone" or "huh, this does that now...." My point is it wasn't there either for me to find out."

Ex. 2: "Also, if you hate grinding dailies, farming and focusing on auctions, then you're going to hate MoP and should probably just quit now because that's pretty much all you do at level 90."

My Response: "As for end game, dear Amaranthas, need I remind you I've been around the block? I've been at every endgame, including Classic. I'm well aware what comes at the end, lol."

My replies and the reminder of the "non-relevant point" have been made to such statements. And my goodness I didn't realize we were on such a close basis that you wanted to bake cookies and braid each other's hair. My my, I haven't seen Dirty Dancing in years either. Shall we make a date of it? *grin* By the way, I am curious as to whether or not your name derives from Amaranth by Nightwish? Excellent band, if you haven't heard of them, if you care for rock at all, it's symphonic metal specifically. =)