Part 2: NVIDIA driver crashing

Technical Support
Prev 1 17 18 19 26 Next
I'd like to see if any of you are seeing the same behavior with your video cards as I am. I'm on a Dell XPS 15 with an NVidia 540M card. Lots of other owners of this card are having this issue, but I've not seen anyone else confirm that WoW is using or not using the 540M card.

What I've done:
Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z - it's a well respected GPU information utility
Run two instances of GPU-Z
Have first watch the 3d card (Nvidia, AMD, etc)
Have the second the build in card (Intel HD 3000 in my case)
Fire up and play WoW

For me, WoW doesn't even touch the NVidia GPU which explains why I'm getting such crappy framerates and have to run at Low graphics.

Nothing I've been able to do will make WoW use my Nvidia GPU. No other games have this issue, they all run on the Nvidia GPU great, most with high-ultra enabled. I had Ultra enabled before 5.1.

Reply back with your observations. Hopefully Blizzard can use this info to fix this problem for us.
A few clarifications to the above post:

To choose which GPU to watch, select it in the dropdown at the bottom
To see what the load is on the GPUs, choose the Sensors tab and look for GPU Load %
lol i have an asus 660 ti bought my comp yesterday and i am very frustrated with this problem i have tried everything and all i want to do is play the game i crash 5 seconds in
is blizzard basically going to tell players with NVIDIA drivers to play on the lowest setting or go buy a different card? that's pretty sh*t service for how much money people dump into this game.
Huh, still no fix for this issue? I've tried everything I've seen in these threads and still no luck. I don't crash as often with the Beta nvidia driver, but I had to sacrifice frame rates. Looks like I won't be renewing my subscription until I see some sort of resolution for this. I don't need my video card to get zapped because Blizz can't put forth the money they make off us to pay thier tech support to figure this out. The only solution I could find for my PC personally is to revert back to my ATI card on my motherboard instead of my aftermarket nvidia which would force me to play at even more reduced frame rates and settings. I shouldn't have to play the game looking like h e double hockey sticks to gear my toon. Get it together guys and girls.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6573699701#19
Update:

I upgraded from Windows 7 - 64 bit to Windows 8 - 64 bit. Now it seems my GTX 670 works fine with WoW patch 5.1 under DX11 the display driver no longer resets.

I also did not reinstall WoW, I just copied it back over to the SSD after installing Windows 8.

I am using driver version 306.97 it's the same version I was last using on Windows 7 before changing to Windows 8.

Current System Specs
MB - ASUS P9X79 - BIOS 3102
RAM - 48GB - 1600MHz 10-10-10-30 1.5v - 4x8GB G.Skill + 4x4GB Corsair, 2 Kits.
I let Memtest86+ run for over 70 hours, no errors.
CPU - i7 3930k - 6C/12T - Step C2 - 4.2GHz - vcore 1.27v under max load.
I let Prime 95/Blend run for over 48 hours, no errors.
CPU Cooler - Thermaltake WATER 2.0 Pro Closed-Loop Liquid Cooler.
GPU - Evga 670 FTW - Firmware 80.04.4B - Driver 306.97
PSU - Corsair 750W
OS - Windows 8 Pro - 64 bit
that's still bullcrap, again basically asking me to go out and blow a buttload of money because blizz screwed something up this patch. GG
Bump. Ban me Blizz, I don't care. This problem has been happening since MoP launch and only getting worse with this patch. Sad too because this patch was actually pretty fun aside from the stupid rep grinds.
This is still occurring. Still. As in the problem persists. Continuously.

Seriously, are we ever going to get some information on the "progress" of "fixing" this issue, blizzard? Are we ever going to get a fix? Can we, the customers, get some sort of feedback from you on how this problem is being addressed?

EVER?
EVER?
Can you hear me in there?

Just something to let us know that you're still even reading this thread. Just something to let us know that you are ACTUALLY addressing this issue and not just praying it fixes itself?

Anyway, I'm too tired of having to deal with this BS problem. My wife and I have the exact same configurations on our computers (exact same computers) and this happens to her once in every two weeks and for me is like once and hour. Everything checks out the same diagnostically on our computers. Everything.

Please fix. Or at least let us know that you have given up, which many of us believe you have.

But there is good news to you not being able to address this issue in any way, shape, or form. I will now be saving money and moving on to the crappy F2P games that I can run at top graphics and not worry about anything. Oh wait, I can't even run WoW at the worst graphics and play. So, yeah. Its broke, and its on your end.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6573699701#19
Update:

I upgraded from Windows 7 - 64 bit to Windows 8 - 64 bit. Now it seems my GTX 670 works fine with WoW patch 5.1 under DX11 the display driver no longer resets.

I also did not reinstall WoW, I just copied it back over to the SSD after installing Windows 8.

I am using driver version 306.97 it's the same version I was last using on Windows 7 before changing to Windows 8.

Current System Specs
MB - ASUS P9X79 - BIOS 3102
RAM - 48GB - 1600MHz 10-10-10-30 1.5v - 4x8GB G.Skill + 4x4GB Corsair, 2 Kits.
I let Memtest86+ run for over 70 hours, no errors.
CPU - i7 3930k - 6C/12T - Step C2 - 4.2GHz - vcore 1.27v under max load.
I let Prime 95/Blend run for over 48 hours, no errors.
CPU Cooler - Thermaltake WATER 2.0 Pro Closed-Loop Liquid Cooler.
GPU - Evga 670 FTW - Firmware 80.04.4B - Driver 306.97
PSU - Corsair 750W
OS - Windows 8 Pro - 64 bit

edit - 12/3/2012 - I take it back... It finally did happen again in windows 8 with DX11. :(
I'm sick of it. I'm so sick of the crashes. It's been months and still no fixes. I don't suspect Blizz will ever be able to fix it.

So I cancelled my account.

I'm going to play BF3 and Far Cry 3 instead.
I have been having the nvida trouble since mop and 5.1 has brought it back big time!!!
same problem fps to 4fps in bgs updated drivers replaced graphics card. I have now cancelled my account and recommend all others suffering these issues do the same, maybe the only way to get a real fix is to slow down their revenue. As soon as profits go down service issues get resolved very quickly.
same issues occurred at bc, wrath and cata, you would think they would have their !@#$ together after so long........
Can we get any follow-up information from a blue here. This issue needs to be resolved sooner than later.
still the same if not worse, to blizzard execs if you had to pay for your utilities upfront and they only worked intermittently wouldnt you be pissed off? Try fixing the issues ingame now rather than updationg and releasing patches for new content, the fps is a major issue and not something that is the consumers fault but is a game issue
Ok, I have read thru most of the posts and you guys are way over me in computer knowledge.
Without posting all that other information, I'll give you a timeline. I have a Nvidia GTX 460, running Win 7. I have been running Dx11 since Crysis 2 came out. (Sorry Blizz, I do play other games). Anyone who has played Crysis or Crysis 2 knows what kind of demand it puts on your video card. Since downloading the latest Nvidia driver in October, I have no problems with Dx11 with any game until about a week or so ago. Then I started having the same issues most of you are complaining about. The one and only game that I kept having driver failures with is WoW. Crysis and Crysis 2 run fine, no problems with Dx11. As soon as I start WoW tho, the failures start, again only within the last couple of weeks for me. I have tried all the recommended suggestions offered here and nothing seems to work. I even reverted to Dx9 as suggested. Although this did seem to reduce the number of failures, I still had several during a play session. The one thing that I did that I dont remember seeing in all the threads, is roll back the Nvidia driver to the previous version dated 8/2012. So far after 4 days I have yet to see a single driver failure and I am running Dx11 with vid settings at high. I have no clue as to what the problem is or why it took so long for my failures to start compared to the other posters. So long story short, rollback your driver to a previous version. The problem is definitely confined to the new Nvidia driver and WoW in my opinion based on my play experience. Hope this helps.
did that and still have low fps issues, glad you got sorted though :)
Got a GTX650. No issues now.

I will test the other card in a different PC and see what ensues.

Spoke too soon. Same issue--total screen lockup, having to power off--cropped up the first time a 25 man ran past about 20 minutes--what's weird is that after that it started happening in much less stressful settings, like flying over Valley of the Four Winds.

I've been stress testing the new card with MSI Kombuster (and tweaking with Afterburner), and if it's a heat issue, I can't reproduce it out of game. 63-64 C is not an excessive load temp for a GPU.

I find myself wondering if it's power related.
Ok guys, I fixed my problem too the same way Zanis did and still suffered some crashes So not only did I roll back my Nvidia, I also had to change some settings on the Nvidia control panel and lowered some settings in game. I went from 30 fps to 40-47 depending on the places I really don't have any issue other than suffering how the game looks duller graphics wise now. I've had no crashes since then. Here are my current setting if you wish to give it a try.

Nvidia 3d control panel: Manage 3d settings, Global settings tab
-Antisotropic filtering: Application controlled
-Antialiasing-FXAA:On
-Antialiasing-Gamma correction: On
-Antialiasing-Mode: Application controlled
-Antialiasing-Setting should say Application controlled grey'd out
-Antialiasing-Transparency: Off
CUDA-GPUs: All, slicking this line you should see your video card box checked.
Extension limit: Off
Maximum pre-rendered frames: Used 3d application setting.
Multi-display / mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Maximum pre-rendered frames:Off
Texture filtering--Anisotropic sample optimization: Off
Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias: Allow
Texture filtering-Quality: High performance
Texture filtering- Trilinear optimizatioin: On
Threaded optimization: On
Triple buffering: On
Verticle sync: Use 3d application setting. Please not I had to change most of these myself through much troubleshooting and make sure you appl and save the settings :P

Now here are my current in game setting for MoP. Please not I play in a higer resolution than you may be able to so feel free to leave that alone but suffer visual problems if your monitor cant handle the setting.
Display mode: Fulllscreen_ not I play in true fullscreen so my video card changes are more effective.
Resolution:1920 x 1080(wide)
Refresh rate- 60hz
Monitor-Primary
Multi-sampling-4x putting this to 4x after video card changes helped A TON.
Verticle sync- Enabled- enabling this after video card settings help a ton also
Graphics slidebar on low
Texture resolution- Low
Texture Flitering-4x- changing this after vid card settings greatly helped
Projected textures- Disabeled
View distance- Low
Ground Clutter- Low
Shadow Quality Low
Liquid Detail- Low
Sunshafts- Disabeled
Particle density- Good
SSAO- Disabled
Ok now in the advanced settings tab I had to toy with a few things also that helped greatly. They are set up as follows..
Triple buffering-Enabled
Reduce Input lag- Disabled
Graphics API- DirectX 9

Again, I really hope this helps in solving everyone that wishes to try's issues as it did mine. I put a lot of spare time in to trying to figure this issue out. I'm still pretty bummed that I had to lower some visuals but I did gain some frame rates and stopped crasshing in MoP zones and in general throughout the game.
Necromonk--Thanks for the input. I can crank my settings down until the game stabilizes too, and that's what I'm doing. Evidently a lot of the people in the thread can make do that way as well.

The thing is, we shouldn't *have* to. I wager you and I are both two or more notches down across the board from the "recommended" graphics settings the game suggests. We're not getting our money's worth.

Here's a can of worms--has anyone tested using the 32 bit version? The biggest system thing that changed with MOP was moving to 64 bit/multicore support. I have dim memories of lockups back when I tried testing the 64 bit beta...I think I may try that later today.