Disc is GUTTED -- This must be fixed NOW.

Priest
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
10/06/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Eldil
If the team responsible for the ridiculousness that is discilpine in MoP were my employees, I WOULD FIRE THEM

I'd probably have a good hard look at them too, mainly because far too many things were clearly overlooked that should have been quite obvious. Feels like there is no QC attached to them, or no one ever asks *why* are we making this change? What is the goal? Are we achieving it? And then, "what are we breaking?"
Bumpage...
GC already commented priests are fine, no changes inc.
so we should shut up and take it......No Thanks bro, take your defeatists attitude elsewhere
10/06/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Eldil
So how do you compensate? The ONLY WAY to maintain mana regeneration now is to SMITE HEAL, which has always been mediocre to terrible for throughput.

This ! Gj Blizz

Not credible enough you wrath-baby.

So has countless many of us who regularly browse these priest forums; not relevant.

He started in Wrath? He didn't get to experience Domo dropping the hunter leaf for 7 weeks in a row... Farming FR gear... Wiping on Vael @ 1% for weeks...

Those were the good ole days.

In the OP's defence. Wrath was when Disc was actually viable as a raid spec (no, Pain Supp in BT for ONE boss does not count). So it probably doesn't matter whether he started from Vanilla or TBC. He was there when it actually mattered as for as Disc is concerned.

In Vanilla, disc was the 'dump your mandatory 14 points here until Inner Focus' spec for regen whether you were holy or shadow. And there would always be ONE priest pigeonholed further into it for Divine Spirit (21 if I remember correctly). It was never a 'real' option.

In TBC, Disc was your 'PvP' spec after the changes and little else.

Didn't really matter if he started playing then.
10/07/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Zamboozle
Didn't really matter if he started playing then.

You're too reasonable for this thread.
I think the raiding data, which shows priests severely lacking, will spark a buff from Blizz. Their precious raiders must be made happy.

then, strictly as a side effect, we'll be stronger in pvp.
What I dont understand blizzard did, most of all, was the mana pool cap ... why limit players that get better gear?
I really didn't like Disc at first (in MoP). I've been a disc only for a while now, and was relatively sad to see some of the changes. However, I have noticed that smite healing really has helped me with my mana issues and my smite's, as of last night, were critting upwards of 120k. Now, my crit chance isn't too high, so that doesn't happen often enough, but it really is a viable way of healing.

Even the changes in Cata were difficult to get used to. After going through wrath where it was as easy as shield spam, it was nice to see the spec change up a bit. Give it some time, give smite healing a shot, and gem/chant for spirit. That's what I'm doing anyway. Granted, I'm not a world top player or anything, but I am one of the best disc priests on my server, and disc is starting to work for me again.
can someone explain what "smite healing" means? as far as I can tell, you cant cast smite on a friendly.... it stacks evangelism, but then what?
can someone explain what "smite healing" means? as far as I can tell, you cant cast smite on a friendly.... it stacks evangelism, but then what?

The dmg dealt is converted to heals on friendly targets.
The same thing is happenign with Holy too...all priests have major mana cost problems, very little regen and they are so behind with healing output, blizzard is blind not to listen to fanbase and do something about it...
10/07/2012 10:35 AMPosted by Bahrana
So how do you compensate? The ONLY WAY to maintain mana regeneration now is to SMITE HEAL, which has always been mediocre to terrible for throughput.

This ! Gj Blizz

This. Pls make Smite healing go away. We don't like.
10/07/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Teonen

This ! Gj Blizz

This. Pls make Smite healing go away. We don't like.

Who's this we?
Quite honestly, you're feeling something that you're still not quantifying that well.

Disc is broken as a spec because the design intent for this expansion was flawed, and thus never fully implemented. So just like at the beginning of Cataclysm, we're a spec that's just been cobbled together of bits and pieces of old things and a few new shinies to go with it with no real direction or cohesion.

The design goal has always been 'Discipline = Absorbs!' but the real problem with that is they're too afraid to actually let us do it, because absorbs can be incredibly potent and are too hard to balance. So our main tools, which are what we are designed around, are heavily regulated. PW:S not only has a cooldown on use (WS) but now has a heavy mana regulator on using it too often (Rapture). Spirit Shell has a low cap. PoH's DA can't benefit from crit anymore. The entire point of our spec's existence is throttled.

Our healing utility was to be secondary to this point, so we have the lowest througput per mana of all healer classes. Now because our absorbs are so heavily strangled, we're trying to rely on these mediocre heals and failing.

THAT is the real problem with Discipline. Pretty much the same thing as the beginning of Cata.

Atonement isn't anything more than a shiny, an afterthought, not a core mechanic. Smite is actually the least mana efficient heal in the game, so please don't rely on that to save your mana.

The very point of our existence in the game needs to be unthrottled more than a little, and/or our actual healing needs to be boosted. We can't continue living with the least of both worlds, the balance is extremely skewed. But it has always been Blizzard's way to aim low and buff later than to have to start with nerfs. Patience will serve everyone well right now.
I just hit 90 yesterday. I used to LOVE disc healing in late BC and throughout all WotLK, but I switched to Holy for Cataclysm. I thought I'd try Disc healing in MoP, but....I think I'll be going back to Holy.
@Khendra

Yeah, you're right. I, too, think that their design intent for disc is flawed and they're all over the map. If it were me in charge of it I'd come up with something more comprehensive, thematic, and purpose-based, but frankly I've lost any hope that the Bliz design team is capable of that.

At this point I just want the capability to be competitive and to innovate my way to the top of the charts the way I did in Cata. ...I want a spec with a minimum of potential and flexibility, and right now I don't even have that.