Pet Battles and Roleplaying: Thoughts & Ideas

Moon Guard
There's a very clear difference between using a beast for burden and hunting, and setting pets against one another for gambling purposes.

An example would be pitting the pets against one another for practice and to keep them fit.

I don't see it happening. It doesn't make sense.

Culture and ideas can spread rather easily and quickly. Using my example, tauren train their pets against one another. It eventually develops into some type of spectator sport to pass time and for entertainment while still serving practical use. Adventurers and travelers make their way out into the world and share such a concept. The concept of 'animal fights animal', while much more specific and unique to each culture, eventually becomes more generic as the world opens up.

Creativity seems to be a feasible solution to your dilemma, as it encourages RP and developing backstory and history.
Culture and ideas can spread rather easily and quickly. Using my example, tauren train their pets against one another. It eventually develops into some type of spectator sport to pass time and for entertainment while still serving practical use. Adventurers and travelers make their way out into the world and share such a concept. The concept of 'animal fights animal', while much more specific and unique to each culture, eventually becomes more generic as the world opens up.

I guess I don't want things to be more generic.
10/07/2012 05:47 PMPosted by Ferenold

You can still have both ideas coexist. A widespread version of pet battling, and then a more refined and specific version unique to each culture.
10/07/2012 05:48 PMPosted by Argilla

You can still have both ideas coexist. A widespread version of pet battling, and then a more refined and specific version unique to each culture.

I guess. I'm glad you've recognized that it'd mostly be adventurers and travelers doing it. Given that the definition of adventurer in warcraft seems to be "fantastical and ascending from common sense", I think that makes sense.
I guess. I'm glad you've recognized that it'd mostly be adventurers and travelers doing it. Given that the definition of adventurer in warcraft seems to be "fantastical and ascending from common sense", I think that makes sense.

I proposed the idea that adventurers and travelers would spread the idea, not necessarily be the sole participators. A generic form of pet battling, available to anybody with a pet, could easily appeal to much more than just those 'fantastical and ascending from common sense'. The majority of every race's population? Probably not. But sizable enough to warrant being labelled a fad or trend.
Nothing would stop a common person from doing it either.

Pet battles are a source of entertainment. Someone could see it as a chance to show off their pet's moves. IE: BugEyes the Pug may have been house trained to do whatever he is good at.

Any approach is fine and if you can get RP out of it, that would be fun. Maybe challenge your significant other to a pet battle and loser has to make a romantic dinner or make your guildies duel it out for fun in guild prizes.

Doesn't matter how you go, it is your thing and enjoy it.
I was going to continue arguing but then I saw Venita's post and realized there was no point to it.

Do what you want, and explain it how you want. It's being done and it's out there in the game.
10/07/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Argilla

I proposed the idea that adventurers and travelers would spread the idea, not necessarily be the sole participators. A generic form of pet battling, available to anybody with a pet, could easily appeal to much more than just those 'fantastical and ascending from common sense'. The majority of every race's population? Probably not. But sizable enough to warrant being labelled a fad or trend.

Fair enough.

I was going to continue arguing but then I saw Venita's post and realized there was no point to it.

Do what you want, and explain it how you want. It's being done and it's out there in the game.

This too. You can RP however you want.
It could have been one of those things that has been around for a while, but we just haven't seen it in-game until now.
I find the idea intriguing, much like how suddenly underground fighting became known a bit more thanks to Cata's quests in Redridge. Something that has become more apparent.
I also see ideas where those who oppose the use of animals for such illicit entertainment would be able to get involved.
I find the idea intriguing, much like how suddenly underground fighting became known a bit more thanks to Cata's quests in Redridge. Something that has become more apparent.
I also see ideas where those who oppose the use of animals for such illicit entertainment would be able to get involved.

I foresee D.E.H.T.A. eco-terrorism in our future.

I foresee D.E.H.T.A. eco-terrorism in our future.

Darn skippy, my dear Doctor.
Why are we saying that IC this did not happen before just because we're able to do it in-game now?

Um... I've been having my pets attack people and other pets IC for a while now.
Why are we saying that IC this did not happen before just because we're able to do it in-game now?

I do agree with this as well, Systar. I think that my main point especially in my latter posts was that this shouldn't be something that broke out spontaneously, but instead moreso a smaller movement that's always existed.

I do agree with this as well, Systar. I think that my main point especially in my latter posts was that this shouldn't be something that broke out spontaneously, but instead moreso a smaller movement that's always existed.

Perhaps? Or maybe it's just been something that's always been. Look at how hunters use their pets. They're big animals that they have attacking all kinds of creatures. Also, look at how we've collected pets before the patch. Yes, they've been vanity pets, but obviously this is the world of WARcraft, it's not that preposterous to think it's always been mainstream to treat even vanity pets like this.

Perhaps? Or maybe it's just been something that's always been. Look at how hunters use their pets. They're big animals that they have attacking all kinds of creatures. Also, look at how we've collected pets before the patch. Yes, they've been vanity pets, but obviously this is the world of WARcraft, it's not that preposterous to think it's always been mainstream to treat even vanity pets like this.

I don't think that all vanity pets are going to be thought of as battle-pets, and I'd venture to say that that kind of perception wouldn't even be mainstream. I think that cultures would most definitely keep pets and the like. All of 'em, especially in the alliance, would be conducive to that.

I don't think that all vanity pets are going to be thought of as battle-pets, and I'd venture to say that that kind of perception wouldn't even be mainstream. I think that cultures would most definitely keep pets and the like. All of 'em, especially in the alliance, would be conducive to that.

I don't understand your reasoning that the world of warcraft cultures would not view creatures as trainable battle companions? The whole world is centered around war. It's not just about dueling and gambling, this is also an activity that is Horde v. Alliance.