Improving Guardian DPS while off-tanking?

Druid
How are you guys maximizing DPS during a raid while not actively tanking? I'm not a long-time bear player, so in some ways I'm still learning the ropes, but I think I have most of it down, just need to maximize out some areas, this being one of them...

My DPS while actively tanking and getting beat on is fine, as vengeance is stacking up and I'll be up around where I should be on the meters compared to the dps of the raid, but during the tank swap cycles where I'm waiting for my turn again, my DPS is taking a horrible beating... like by 50% it seems.

What are you guys cycling to maximize your DPS during these "down" times?

While single target tanking, I'm mostly mangling and lacerating with SD or FR mixed in where needed depending on fight, and rolling my other defensive cooldowns along the way. This gives me fairly good DPS that while I still want to improve, is not my primary concern.

Should I mix this up when not tanking and throw in a thrash upkeep in there and maul as a rage dump if needed (since I probably won't be using SD/FR as much)?

Should I stay in bear as long as vengeance is say > 30, and switch to kitty if still plenty of downtime left?

I hate seeing my lackluster DPS at the bottom of the meters due to this, and I know there's ways I can improve that without too much of an issue.

Should I make sure thrash is part of my rotation even while actively tanking? (It might be, I can't recall off the top of my head and can't login and look at my bindings)...

Thanks!
10/09/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Shelterpets
How are you guys maximizing DPS during a raid while not actively tanking? I'm not a long-time bear player, so in some ways I'm still learning the ropes, but I think I have most of it down, just need to maximize out some areas, this being one of them...
Either use HotW or stay in Bear form. The only big difference is dumping Rage into Maul until you need to bank it for getting switched back again.

Edit:

10/09/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Shelterpets
Should I make sure thrash is part of my rotation even while actively tanking? (It might be, I can't recall off the top of my head and can't login and look at my bindings)...
Yes, you should be making sure Thrash doesn't fall off.