So Story Forums

Story Forum
Why do I notice that a rather common theme (In no way am I saying everyone does it, I'm just stating a common theme) among almost any response tends to go along the lines of "X faction is in the right because Y faction is doing blah blah blah." X= Player's faction Y = Opposite faction of player.

And to build off of that, anyone else who seems to state differently? It just starts truly an argument over who can interpret what they want to see better. Considering that that's generally Warcraft lore in a nutshell, all interpretation until a blue makes a detailed official post about it (because we all know that someone will find a way to say "WELL HE/SHE DIDN'T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THIS!" if it's not detailed.)

Now don't get me wrong, in no way am I here to indicate that I like Alliance or Horde more. I think both have their positives, and both and their negatives. The simple question is why do simple matters of interpreting lore (which if you've ever leveled a character through both sides, you'll see leaves nearly no clear indication of how everything happens) end up in full blown arguments over who's willing to debate longer when it comes down to it.
"WELL HE/SHE DIDN'T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THIS!"

Proper accounting is important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KBdBCTvK5zM#t=105s

Always foot your balances!
Correlation does not always equal causation. You see player plays x faction (cause) leads to them believing x faction is in the right (effect) when it could just as easily be: Player believes X faction is in the right, therefore they want to play as X faction.
Both sides are wrong. I can't wait until the extra-planetary, world destroying threat returns for the next expansion. Then we will all hold hands, cross faction communication enabled, ride unicorns into battle, and I will marry Sky Admiral Rogers.

And you are all invited to the wedding! <3
I think it's an interesting microcosm of psychology, it's best not to talk about it here until you get bitter and fed up with every thread devolving into tit for tat and you become a self righteous miser or grinch telling everyone what's wrong with them, like me!

Perhaps it's testament to the attachment Blizzard has orchestrated here between people and the lore, though many of the posters here seem to at the same time deride Blizzard and their lore, especially recent developments, regarding most of it as tacky or infantile beyond their own interpretation of what's worth enjoying.
It's been one of the annoyances of this forum since it's inception.

You just can't be considered a regular here until someone has accused you of bias.

I must seem pretty wishy-washy to some people because in some threads I'll side with the Horde, and some with the Alliance(more Alliance lately since the Horde has been hit with the "idiot villain" schtick).

But the truth is the only "faction" I belong to is Canada.

Oh, and alt-aholics anonymous.

Also it really doesn't help around here that some people actually do some sort of pseudo-role playing when they post, to the point where they seem to be so passionate about hating the opposing faction that they get obsessive about it. In this regard, it's usually Alliance fanboys, which has always saddened me.
I generally think the Alliance is right, even though my main is Horde. I sympathized with the Alliance even back in Vanilla, and it's now gotten to the point where I am openly disdainful of the Horde. Why do I keep playing? I still find it the more interesting of the two factions, and I'm holding out some small hope for the upper ranks cleaning out the corruption.

More to the point of OP, however, is that it can easily be explained by the brand identity of each faction.
Why do I notice that a rather common theme (In no way am I saying everyone does it, I'm just stating a common theme) among almost any response tends to go along the lines of "X faction is in the right because Y faction is doing blah blah blah." X= Player's faction Y = Opposite faction of player.

And to build off of that, anyone else who seems to state differently? It just starts truly an argument over who can interpret what they want to see better. Considering that that's generally Warcraft lore in a nutshell, all interpretation until a blue makes a detailed official post about it (because we all know that someone will find a way to say "WELL HE/SHE DIDN'T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THIS!" if it's not detailed.)

Now don't get me wrong, in no way am I here to indicate that I like Alliance or Horde more. I think both have their positives, and both and their negatives. The simple question is why do simple matters of interpreting lore (which if you've ever leveled a character through both sides, you'll see leaves nearly no clear indication of how everything happens) end up in full blown arguments over who's willing to debate longer when it comes down to it.
lol that's an easy one. The answer is that we're all biased.
I would consider myself an Alliance oriented fellow, though I very much enjoy the Horde for a bit of spice and variety. To me, it's all one story I like to appreciate as a whole, but I have an undying bias for Night Elves and have a hard time getting past this when playing my Horde characters in Ashenvale.

I think going back a long way now, Garrosh was supposed to both drive the Alliance to getting very angry, and he was meant to drive the Horde to being angry with his leadership as well. I think there was a time when Garrosh could have gone either way, but Blizzard literally used the response of the community towards him to see him down the path he's going now.

Most everything in Cataclysm that makes the Horde seem favored over the Alliance is Garrosh being a war monger at a basic level, which is intended to drive the Horde players to depose him I think. So it seems kind of strangely ironic that quite a bit about what Alliance players complain about is something meant to bother the Horde as well.

Then you have the Horde players who just love the faction war and don't really care about who is right or wrong, and they either are fans of Garrosh or support the results of his recent military campaigns while not liking him.

I think Metzen has been too protective actually of the Alliance concerning their righteous saintly virtue for most of WOW's life cycle, which is odd considering the accusations of his Horde bias. He is known for his praise and fanboyism of paladins, Thor, and Malfurion, and I think it's caused him to hold back on seeing the Alliance do some bad and morally corrupt things, like atrocities.

I'm wondering if things are still going to get bleaker still in MOP and we see the Alliance doing more questionable stuff, or if the darkness Metzen said he wanted us to prepare for was the shadow of Garrosh all along.
The Alliance is more justified, more relateable, and more cohesive.

The Horde is more interesting, better designed, and better characterized.

On average, of course.
Long story short? Blizzard wanted to put the War back in Warcraft, and as a result, we just discuss the Lore we do have. Since that lore relates to a completely contrived conflict, the sole purpose of which seems to further the Horde's storyline by allowing a single character to grow into a more complete individual and get the Horde a new Warchief, the options to discuss the current lore are more or less:

1) Complain about how utterly terrible the story is in every way possible.
2) Discuss the Lore regarding the war.

I will say it is rare, but you will find now and then that players on both sides of the argument agree on something (usually the awful condition of the story and how a single character or race dominates the story to the detriment of all others). Its fairly infrequent both sides agree on the condition of the conflict in terms of justification or what have you, much for the reasons you noted, OP. Each side has their own justifications, reasons, and propaganda meant to gain the cooperation of their people and players.

Hope that helped clarify things ^.^
Both sides are wrong. I can't wait until the extra-planetary, world destroying threat returns for the next expansion. Then we will all hold hands, cross faction communication enabled, ride unicorns into battle, and I will marry Sky Admiral Rogers.

Woo, wedding! I'll bring the cake!

On topic, I don't see an issue with the factions working together next xpack. It'd be a bit silly to beat each other up while the Legion invading again.

On topic, I don't see an issue with the factions working together next xpack. It'd be a bit silly to beat each other up while the Legion invading again.

Its a tired old story, repeated far too frequently. This war has left a lot of burned bridges between the Alliance and the Horde, and I don't think its reasonable to expect the two factions to pull together after all of this to fight together.

To be honest... I kind of want the Legion to win this one.

Its a tired old story, repeated far too frequently. This war has left a lot of burned bridges between the Alliance and the Horde, and I don't think its reasonable to expect the two factions to pull together after all of this to fight together.

To be honest... I kind of want the Legion to win this one.

I'm not saying they're going to unite and be bff's, but I would hope they'd be at least willing to fight to ensure their continued survival. Similar to the Alliance quests in northern Hellfire. They blow up the Forge camps to save Thrallmar because the leader there acknowledged that Alliance forces couldn't hold the Portal by themselves.