N00b to WoW

New Player Help and Guides
Hiya Folks,

I am just coming over from EQ (*ducks*) and I just started wow a few of days ago and purchased the battle Chest, now i have a couple of questions.

1) Mounts. So you have to be lvl 20 to Use a mount, but you can buy amount at anytime is this correct? and why do you have to be lvl 20 to use a mount? I dont understand why there is a limitation on a mount. From what my friend says mounts are only a means of travel.
Im not complaining, just trying to wrap my head around it. Does this apply even if you buy a mount online from the blizzard store?

2) Addons. So certain addons are permitted, as long as it doesnt play the game for but at the same time you have to be wary about keyloggers so how do you know which sites are legit or not?

***and special thanks to BLIZZARD for not having a "marketplace" If i want to buy stuff I will go to the website to buy stuff not this SOE cash cow crap***
1) Mounts. So you have to be lvl 20 to Use a mount, but you can buy amount at anytime is this correct? and why do you have to be lvl 20 to use a mount? I dont understand why there is a limitation on a mount. From what my friend says mounts are only a means of travel.
Im not complaining, just trying to wrap my head around it. Does this apply even if you buy a mount online from the blizzard store?

Try to think of it as that is the level you learn the spell. When you have reached 20 levels of adventuring experience, you understand the mechanics of riding the first tier of mounts.
10/06/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Niconys
2) Addons. So certain addons are permitted, as long as it doesnt play the game for but at the same time you have to be wary about keyloggers so how do you know which sites are legit or not?

The two main ones curse.com and wowinterface.com are safe as far as the addons they have, they check all addon submissions and updates before displaying them to make sure they follow Blizzard's addon guidelines and don't contain anything harmful.

Just don't click on the advertizements you see. Any site with ads on the internet (not just curse or wowinterface) has no say in what those ads are. They are supplied by a 3rd party ad agency, who may not check all the ads they display.

As for riding, the first 20 levels take place in smaller zones relatively close to the nearest capitol city, so you don't really need it. You can't attack on horseback in WoW, it's just a mode of transportation that's faster than running.
***and special thanks to BLIZZARD for not having a "marketplace" If i want to buy stuff I will go to the website to buy stuff not this SOE cash cow crap***

Instead of a cash-shop, Blizzard charges a $15/month subscription for server access. I also feel this way is better because there's no "pay to win" mechanic. In many of those other games, the cash-shop is how you get all the really good gear, so the person who shells out the most money is the most powerful in-game. In WoW, everyone pays the same fee upfront, and everyone has access to the same stuff in-game, it just depends on how much time & effort you put into playing.

Blizzard does have a store that sells in-game items, but they are just vanity things like special mounts that look different than any other mount in the game (they don't go faster or have any features other than a unique appearance).

Also, for a bit of terminology:

In WoW "N00b" is a term for people who are new but don't care to learn and take offense when someone gives them advice (such players often later fall under the "scrub" term)

Newb or Newbie is a term for someone who is new but eager to learn and welcomes all constructive pointers.

Scrubs are players that have been playing a long time, know they are doing things completely wrong, but actively make bad choices because they can. Such players often later complain about being kicked from groups, even though they freely admit that wearing intellect gear as a tank is a bad choice.

Oh, and FYI: Hunters don't like intellect or spirit (they used to, a LONG time ago, but Blizz has re-tooled all the classes and their preferred stats many times).

Go for the leather with agility, hit, crit, haste, and expertise. When you get to 40 you can wear mail (as in chainmail), so go for that with those same stats.

I am just coming over from EQ (*ducks*)

You'd be surprised how many people in WoW started on that game or another similar MMORPG.
10/06/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Avanna
When you get to 40 you can wear mail (as in chainmail), so go for that with those same stats.

agi > armor. So from level 40-50 don't arbitrarily replace your leather that has agi with mail that has less agi. Hunters don't get hit often enough to sacrifice agi for more armor.
At level 50 however, you get a +5% agi increase just by being all in mail armor.
why do you have to be lvl 20 to use a mount?

It used to be 40, but was lowered to 30, then 20. Used to be you couldn't use the mounts of the other races of your faction either, and you had to have special training to ride faster mounts at 60 (now it's 40, but just to ride faster, getting a new mount is no longer necessary). It began as a very special perk, but a lot has changed over the years -- as of MoP, you'll see people trotting around at 20 on mounts that didn't used to be available until MUCH later on, and required a lot of effort to acquire.

This is the patch history, if you're interested: http://www.wowpedia.org/Mount#Classic

Welcome to Azeroth /wave

(I've been playing CoN a lot recently, and getting the itch to try EQ again)
1) because if there were no 'upper levels' for mounts you' have the following problems:

-you couln't afford it.
-you couldn't appreciate it.
-there'd be little point to having it - why not just make everyone run super-fast.
Well then let me correct my self and say Newb. i do have the ambition to learn and don't lose it when people give me advice. Thanks to all of yu for helping me out with my questions and I really do appreciate it.

There's a post above me (Avianna's) that tells you how to obtain Addons. In addition, if you have a Mac you can download the WoWMatrix app from the Apple website. You don't have to worry about advertisements and it makes installing addons a process that requires almost no effort on your part. I'm not sure if there's a Windows version; you may want to google that.
Noob also refers to an experienced player who just makes a newbie mistake not necessarily by choice.

As a hunter you my want to check out Wow-Petopia.com for all your pet needs.

And mounts although just a means of travel have a cool factor going for them as well.
1) because if there were no 'upper levels' for mounts you' have the following problems:

-you couln't afford it.
-you couldn't appreciate it.
-there'd be little point to having it - why not just make everyone run super-fast.

In my opinion, folks should be allowed to purchase mounts as soon as they get out of the 1-10 starting areas. There's absolutely no reason to prohibit mounts once they hit level 10.

- Cost is not an issue and it could/should be dropped lower as it was when they initially moved riding from 40 to 20.

- What does appreciation have to do with it? I used to walk to school. People now take the bus. Why do I care if they appreciate it or not - it's just a lot smarter way to get there.

- Indeed... why not just have everyone run super fast until level 60? Perhaps it's because mounts, and collecting them, add fun?
The one thing I'd say Nok is restricting mounts until at least level 10 helps a player truly feel like they get a sense of their starting area and appreciate the world around you, kind of like what Mists is doing for us without flying mount. This of course might be a race by race thing as some races really don't need a mount early on.