Shockadin fits me like a glove...

Paladin
Hi just felt like making this post while the realm goes down for a rolling restart.. I've been gone from wow almost a year and wanted to see how much has changed maybe rekindle my love for the dusty old game for a time as well. Since my return I felt totally lost on the few 85's I have Preist, Warlock, Shammie, and afew DK's here and there. Now don't get me wrong I have discovered that playing Unholy DK is fun in 5 man settings but it wasn't nuff to keep me interested long term. And for my other 85's well maybe it was just a case of to much to learn again all at once. I just simple felt lost playing them anymore. Well having a bunch of heirlooms sitting around I figured on leveling from scratch some of the other classes. So while leveling myself a druid as a Boomkin (Which was mildly fun) A guildie suggested I give pally Shockadin a try. I had a lvl 19 I made to test healer role only which was also nice but probably wasn't going to go for lvl 90 as a dungeon healer wench.. So I did what I could to find out what glyph's, spell rotation, and talents to take for that role. Here is my impression..

Going from 19 to 35 in past two days.. I'am in a lvl 25 guild and have almost complete set of heirlooms so the xp just rolls in all by it's self.. I am by no means an expert on playing Shockdin but here is how I worked out my playstle with it so far..

Spell order.. Judgment, Holy Shock, Crusader Strike, Denounce x2 (HS and CS uselly need to cycle b4 I can hit them again so I use a 2nd dounce as filler), and Word of Glory (with Glyph of Harsh Words making it a nice offensive spell)

Glyph's used... Harsh Words, and Contemplation... I was on the fence over using HW or Holy Shock first but I felt opening up an additional spell to attack was of more use to me first.

Seals... Well to be honest I keep switching between the two I have access to atm.. Truth seems to offer more kill speed, but Insight is nice during heavy non stop fights where healer might be getting bogged down it all depends on the situation I am in..

My gear mostly is heirlooms mainly what I had laying around a mix of both caster and melee really and it all holds up just fine..

Impressions on how it all plays.. Well to be honest I am just in love with Shockadin now Yeah I am sure it might get ugly at later levels all the fun builds seem to in the end.. But If I had one word to describe Shockadin in a 5 man setting it would be Utility Extreme!! Ok that was two words.. I can heal, Mid range DPS, and tank all on same build.. Sure I am slotted DPS each run and I usefully fall in the middle of the pack for tht spot but I am damn hard to kill, I off-heal, and off tank all at same time, the Tank dies boom I cast a spell and I'am now the tank.. The Healer die I focus on my heal spells (With help of Healbot) and most time I just single target dps stuff.. Only problem I have at this point is no AOE attacks to work with.. I've only gotten one remarks from someone who didn't seem to know what to make of me.. I hold my own in the group and take up slack for others just fine I do all 3 roles to some degree each dungeon run its very refreshing and keeps me interested..

I guess if your like me and just came back to check out the game but feel lost as to what to try I would defiantly suggest a Shockadin for a fun interesting play... And my realm is back up.. Peace.. :) (Oh fell free to give me pointers and tips on playing shockie better..)
Holy shock's base damage is insane at lower levels, but it's not like that at 90.
10/07/2012 10:32 AMPosted by Clåre
I guess if your like me and just came back to check out the game but feel lost as to what to try I would defiantly suggest a Shockadin for a fun interesting play... And my realm is back up.. Peace.. :) (Oh fell free to give me pointers and tips on playing shockie better..)

heres a pointer.

shockadin is not viable. it is neither a valid playstyle nor a supported spec.

it might be fun to kill people in low level bgs, but it does crap damage at max level which is what the game is balanced around. and playing shockadin basically means you are not performing the role that your spec was designed to do, which is healing, which means you are bringing your whole team down and basically amount to a waste of space.

if you want to play a caster. play a caster. if you want to play a damage dealing paladin. play ret.
10/07/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Vladja

heres a pointer.

shockadin is not viable. it is neither a valid playstyle nor a supported spec.

it might be fun to kill people in low level bgs, but it does crap damage at max level which is what the game is balanced around. and playing shockadin basically means you are not performing the role that your spec was designed to do, which is healing, which means you are bringing your whole team down and basically amount to a waste of space.

if you want to play a caster. play a caster. if you want to play a damage dealing paladin. play ret.

Ah the things I don't miss about WoW.. The community or lack of.. :P
denounce spam FTW ... LOL. its a joke ^
BAM Holy Prism
Shockadins are very viable at max lvl. If you dont think so you then you dont take full advantage of glyphs and talents. Holy shocks base damage is not great at max lvl correct but it scales with SP soo it is very viable. If you glyph holy shock and have 2piece bonus youll be hitting plenty hard with it. Also glyph WoG. between holy shock and WoG at 3 stack and holy prism i can burst roughly 250k in 3 seconds if i let holy power to 5 then shock,wog,prism,shock,wog. All this and i still have tons of healing power. Dont know about you but this in arena is gonna be very powerful when i can help my dps burn a target, and i talent for fist and have good cc now too. A little research and testing before you speak goes a long way. My gear is crap and can only imagine what it will be like with full pvp gear and pvp power gems. Anyone who says its not viable is very closed minded and has no clue how to fully benifit from there class talents and glyphs.
Shockadins dont need to be viable, she didnt say she was raiding as a shockadin she said as a leveling spec.

Also i have in fact raided as a Shockadin lols LFR.

Shockadin is a very fun and dynamic ability set early on, your heals are undiminished but your damage is alot better than plain holy. Also with the way gear and all works now you are in fact a Holy Paladin with a dps mindset, theres no difference in gear like there was at 60 when you had to choose +heal gear or damage/heal gear that was about 60% of healing potential.

I have personally played Shockadin in every expansion of this game, at 60 it was the norm, at 70 it was devastating when played properly with guaranteed crits and a load of up front burst, at 80 it was more sustained damage less burst it was fun but not a true Shockadin.

I have also played ret in every expansion except Vanilla (heal class......healer.....pidgeonholed) while ret is a VIABLE DPS build it never had near the burst of Shockadin at 60 or 70 (disclaimer at tail end of Xpac when Divine Storm came out Ret was GOD) through and since WOTLK Ret has been the only way to properly do damage as a paladin.

TL:DR Shockadin is FUN, Ret is Viable for raid/instances, while leveling do whatever you want to do or you will not enjoy it.
10/07/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Mermadia
i can burst roughly 250k in 3 seconds if i let holy power to 5 then shock,wog,prism,shock,wog

Yeah, that's definitely more than 3 seconds.
Obviously you don't know what you are doing if you can't get a Shockadin to work properly. While the damage isn't insane it isn't far behind actual DPS specs. Add that to their ability to heal and you get a wicked PvP spec.

it IS actually quite behind most dps specs.

as ret i can do a fairly significant amount of healing. that doesn't mean i think ret is a healing spec.

i've played holy enough from bc era shockadin, prot healing in wolk, and denounce/blazing light spec in cata to know shockadin is not good.

but its cute that you think you are viable.
sorry 5 seconds, and thats a low estimate on damage, still very strong for the healer
Arenas are mostly short battles, mana means nothing. As long as i keep team up what am i doing wrong helping burst the other team? I never said anything about PvE although i lvled holy through MoP and was joke easy and fast. Yall can hate all you want but i promise there are gonna be plenty of times that you get dropped by the pally heals in arena and you can qq all you want and say its not viable.

PS. with avenging wrath cd drops huge on HS=) again do some test on our burst before you open your mouth
You can queue as a Healer and still do DPS. In fact I was beating most people single target up to about level 80. Once you get AW you can lulz at people who scream you are op. That was just PvE though, PvP...well it got nerfed cause it was so strong....holy shock one shotting people >_<.

Keep in mind...after you get to cata zones you will not be in a good spot, mobs will take forever to kill, I suggest getting a ret set together!
I have played Holy up to level 84 and found it only lacking in AOE,
I topped the charts in 5 mans when I put him away at that time.

The problem is that Holy DPS is so gear dependent that unless you really outgear the instance you will lag behind everyone else.

The majority of the people answering in this thread have not actually played holy dps for any amount of time and their opinion is second hand information and rumor.

Just download a meter and keep using it until you see your performance drop.
Oh look it's this thread again.