World of Midieval fantasy in Chinese armor

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7
10/09/2012 01:31 PMPosted by Fishnchips
A lot of Chinese themed armor.

Ok.

So what's the problem?

Some felt that in a medieval euro fantasy game the Chinese gear stood out like a sore thumb but most agreed that we do not play a medieval euro fantasy game, I was in the minority.
10/09/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Dyschordia

Ok.

So what's the problem?

Some felt that in a medieval euro fantasy game the Chinese gear stood out like a sore thumb but most agreed that we do not play a medieval euro fantasy game, I was in the minority.

Like a sore thumb, huh?

Do you hate everything that is not European? Or just everything that is Chinese looking?
First off I think Pandaria is beautiful and the designers did a great job. However things have been looking a bit strange in Stormwind lately. It is odd being in a midieval European style castle with the population dressed in Chinese clothing and armor. The new threads look great in Pandaria but seem out of place under the turrets or in the Pig and Whistle. I am glad we have transmog in case we want the stats but want to keep the old look.

Does this clash of cultures seem odd to anyone else?

Just think of it as a fashion trend :)
Hate is such a strong word, I just felt like they clashed in this instance. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
The way I see it, Azeroth itself is a big planet, if we take away game mechanics. It is only natural that many different cultures have developed over time, each one different and unique in their own way. Trolls have a more tribal culture, Tauren similar to Native Americans, etc. It would be only natural that there'd be another culture out there that was otherwise untouched until recently that is very different from the usual castles and knights in shining armor.

We've seen how Asian influences spread in clothing and decor when Asia opened up trade in our own history. It was fancy, new, exotic, mystical, yadda yadda. Everyone would want to have a part in it! With Pandaria opening up and joining in the globalization with the rest of Azeroth; it'd make sense that the rest of the cultures would be interested and try the new fashion styles.

I don't really see it as "Warcraft lore is based around so and so themes from European/Western cultures." This is just a newly globalized world, really. ^^
If wow decided to do a space exploration expansion and everyone started walking around in space suits I would find that odd as well, that doesn't mean I hate space.
Your view makes sense zarinda, it just seems to be overwhelming the landscape to me.
10/09/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Dyschordia
If wow decided to do a space exploration expansion and everyone started walking around in space suits I would find that odd as well, that doesn't mean I hate space.

Wasn't Tempest Keep like a big dranei space ship?
Yes but we didn't see an influx of space suits in stormwind.
10/09/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Dyschordia
I would say the vast majority of the armor in the game does not look European.... or even remotely realistic. Imperial Plate is about the closest thing you'll get to a realistic looking European armor set.

Agreed but they went really overboard with the Asian flavoring on the new stuff. It is stylized to the max.

I felt this way about the Firelands patch.

Everything was on fire. Armor. Weapons. Mages. Daily hub. Raid. Fire everywhere. It was Firelands alright.

I'd rather have the pleasant, easy on the eyes Asian stuff instead of fire fire fire.

Also if I recall EQ2 even had an Asian theme expansion, and it's probably more medieval than WoW is.
10/09/2012 02:03 PMPosted by Dyschordia
Yes but we didn't see an influx of space suits in stormwind.

We had motorcycles, planes, and several other things that jarred with a medieval Europe feel, though.
Wait the gear doesn't even look very "Chinese" and also does it really matter the graphics haven't been significantly updated in nearly 8 years, the immersion factor is long gone.
This will be the final expansion for WOW. Asian invasion patches never bode well in these games.
10/09/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Elvol
Wait the gear doesn't even look very "Chinese" and also does it really matter the graphics haven't been significantly updated in nearly 8 years, the immersion factor is long gone.
What? This is just sad. WOW doesn't need cutting edge graphical effects to create an artistic world you can easily get immersed in, unless your sense of immersion is based on some procedural list you've made in your mind of things that are "pro immersion" or "bad immersion".

I am a huge graphics nut, and I play WOW primarily for it's graphics. But I like it for looking hand crafted and artistic, not for it's number of polygons.

WOW came out around the time where you could make something that looked artistic that wasn't limited by it's graphical capabilities, and every expansion has improved upon that. How can you look at Grizzly Hills or the Jade Forest on ultra and not be charmed?