So what's the best way to tank

Warrior
I'm doing the Brewfest boss and it seems like I'm taking a ton of damage. What's the "proper" way to tank now? I'm not used to this shield barrier thing. Should I ever be using Shield Block? Or just use my rage on barrier? etc etc?
IDK for that specific fight because I'm not 90.

Generally speaking, Block for melee and Barrier for magic, but it gets more complex than that. If you have only like 2 or so mobs left in a pack, use Barrier as long as they don't hit too hard. Mobs that hit like wet noodles like the tiny sha guys in Shado-Pan should be tanked exclusively with barrier. If you have decent vengeance, pop Barrier and see if its large enough. It is sort of hard to understand, but if you use both enough you can understand a situation you're in and be able to decide which is more beneficial.
It's a high damage fight no matter how you cut it, but it is definitely manageable.

You want to be spending your rage on Shield Block for the most part because all of Coren's damage and most of the adds' damage is physical. Get as close to 100% uptime without overlaps on it as you can. After that, rage can go toward Barrier. If both are up, Barrier will only absorb the parts of the damage that Block doesn't mitigate, so you can stop a lot of damage that way.

A big thing is you need to rotate your cooldowns. Don't save Shield Wall and Demo Shout for oh !@#$ moments - leave Last Stand and Rallying Cry for that, since they have no other use. Use Demo Shout on CD, and Shield Wall if Demo Shout is on CD. Demoralizing Banner if you drop below 50% health.

Coren can be disarmed, and it neuters his damage.
From what I gather there are adds then? Try to fear them.
Make sure you back out for disarm and then charge back in. The fight is a damage explosion regardless when you start being barreled. Best you can do there is spread out from ranged dps.
10/09/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Jorion
It's a high damage fight no matter how you cut it, but it is definitely manageable.

Okay this makes me feel better. He was beating me up real bad, I thought I was using my moves well enough.
10/09/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Jorion
Coren can be disarmed, and it neuters his damage.

This helps a lot.

Also get somebody to Offtank ursula, helps you not get quite as barrelled.