Free Falling (ooc)

Moon Guard
Post Limit:
Is anyone else excited about this or has been keeping an eye on it?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/10/us-usa-space-skydive-idUSBRE8991F920121010

Yesterday's scheduled attempt was postponed due to weather. Looks like they'll try again on Sunday.

Just kinda hard to wrap ones mind around free falling so fast as to break the sound barrier.

o.O

I know I'll be watching on Sunday. It's all supposed to be livestreamed.

Oh and...

55 story tall BALLOON!
Psht, I can do that...
No, but I will be excited and follow it now!

Imagine that rush!

Imagine that rush!

I'd crap my pants trying to imagine it.

They couldn't livestream me doing it either or else it'd be one constant censor from all the cursing.

Imagine that rush!

I'd crap my pants trying to imagine it.

They couldn't livestream me doing it either or else it'd be one constant censor from all the cursing.

I feel you. I have been skydiving several times and still can't imagine doing this. This Austrian has BALLS OF STEEL!
well one things for sure.. he won't break the sound barrier if he is free falling. humans have a max fall speed, not to mention if he actually did end up breaking the sound barrier he would be dead as soon as he hit the ground.

the human body is extremely fragile to the g force qouta.. basically there is a lot of science that keeps jet pilots alive and safe when they hit the sound barrier a free fall has absolutely nothing to stop the massive amount of g force from smashing this guys brain to the inside of his neck,

not to mention there would be no way for him to use the breathing technique in a free fall...

but aside from all that.. sky divers no matter how high they go.. will never bust the sound barrier, or even go near the speed too
Except that at the height he's jumping from, there is no atmosphere. There is nothing to slow him down until he reaches I think its the troposphere. Once back in the atmosphere, he'll maintain terminal velocity thanks to 'wind resistance'.

It's 120,000 feet. 4x the height most commercial jets cruise at. Much further and the guy might chance running into satellites!
Just learned about in on Vlogbrothers. It's pretty cool, but I'll never be an astronaut or a pilot, so it doesn't really...

Alright, I'm jealous. I should have paid more attention in science and math.
well one things for sure.. he won't break the sound barrier if he is free falling. humans have a max fall speed, not to mention if he actually did end up breaking the sound barrier he would be dead as soon as he hit the ground.

the human body is extremely fragile to the g force qouta.. basically there is a lot of science that keeps jet pilots alive and safe when they hit the sound barrier a free fall has absolutely nothing to stop the massive amount of g force from smashing this guys brain to the inside of his neck,

not to mention there would be no way for him to use the breathing technique in a free fall...

but aside from all that.. sky divers no matter how high they go.. will never bust the sound barrier, or even go near the speed too
You don't... know much do you? Yeah, you should totally keep more up to date.

Anyway, back to putzing around.
Even before I was told I'd never be a pilot because of my vision I never really aspired.

I'm scared enough of being 20 feet high.

I'll still be dealing with air and space; just on stable ground.
Am I the only one terrified he's going to splat?
10/10/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Datocus
a free fall has absolutely nothing to stop the massive amount of g force from smashing this guys brain to the inside of his neck,

I'm assuming his suit has something to do with that.

And, of course, the biggest worry is when his 'chute opens. If he's moving too fast, that will break things. But I'm sure they've found a way to deal with that too.

10/10/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Datocus

Yes, there is. Military HALO parachutists regularly jump using oxygen tanks. There's not much breathable air at 30,000+ feet, where most HALO jumps start.

Anyways... This looks exciting. I've never jumped out of an airplane, but I will soon enough. And a 120,000-foot fall sounds both extremely scary and quite fun.
They need to play Tom Petty.
I wouldn't do it normally.

But I would have a rather visceral thrill if I did decide to. Thumbs up to whoever has this planned.

And good luck.
"It's time for private industry to step up to the plate and get us back into space!"

:(
Private industry going into broader space, a scary scary thought...
Update.

They are in countdown mode for tomorrow morning. Here is their webpage.

/so excited!

http://www.redbullstratos.com/
He's at altitude.

Actually at 121k feet. It's about to happen...

/holds breath
He has landed safely.

I am very happy he did not splat!
That was AWESOME!

/sniffles of joy!