So lets discuss the new Pet Battle Stones

Pet Battles
From the Patch Notes...

A new item has been introduced that can be used to upgrade the quality of Battle Pets: Battle-stones.

Battle-stones are available in two basic types, general purpose Battle-stones that can be used to upgrade the quality of any pet, and family specific Battle-stones, which can only be used to upgrade pets of a specific pet family.

Battle-stones are available in two qualities: Flawless Battle-stones can upgrade pets directly to Rare quality, while Polished Battle-stones will upgrade a pet to Uncommon quality.

Players will have a very small chance to obtain a general purpose Flawless Battle-stone after winning a match against wild pets; defeating higher level opponents increases the chances of obtaining a stone. These valuable items are not soulbound, and can be sold on the Auction House.

Family specific Flawless Battle-stones can be found in the Sack of Pet Supplies obtained from performing Pet Trainer quests, and are Bind on Pickup.

General purpose Polished Battle-stones can be purchased for 1000 Justice Points.
there are already threads for this, at the top.
I love the Battle stones idea but hate the way they are earned.

I'm not a fan of RNG personally. Especially for something intended to be very casually fun like the pet battle system. I would have liked to seen the Flawless stones earned someway. Gifted for each pet you level from 10 or less to 25 with yourself maybe. Or maybe purchased with a new pet battle currency...Pet Biscuts or something.

I also don't like using Justice points for anything related to pet battles. It forces one into the PvE or dailies to purchase something for pet battles. What about those who only do PvP? Or those who choose to do pet battles at lower levels and not level 90 characters. This could also be solved with Pet Biscuts (or whatever you want to call them :) )

General Purpose stones could be cheaper but the Flawless stones would cost must more.

I'd like to see the "The I Choose You" give a Flawless stone in addition to the gold. It's pet battles after all, make the reward more pet battle centric. Maybe even lower the gold in favor of a couple Flawless. Or no gold at all and 3 flawless and 2 GP.

Also...1000JP to bring a pet to Uncommon? That's a bit over the top. I think many collector's are a Blue and everything else kind of collector. And serious PvP Pet Battlers (those I converse with anyway) are definitely of that mindset for PvP teams.

All in all I think there are some very excellent ideas presented here for Pet Battles but I think the implementation may need to be tweaked a bit.
10/12/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Crimsonmage
there are already threads for this, at the top.

Really? I see no sticky's specifically to discuss the implementation of stones and only one other thread on the front page simply requesting no Epic Stones.

Did I miss something? If so I do apologize.
Maybe there should be a unique currency for pet battles, Trainer Points or something? Earned mostly through battling with other players, but also through battling quest trainers and wild pets. Have pet bandages and battle stones be purchasable with Trainer Points, as well as new pets and any other pet related item they choose to add (*cough* pet equipment *cough*).
10/12/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Wirhl
All in all I think there are some very excellent ideas presented here for Pet Battles but I think the implementation may need to be tweaked a bit.

I agree with you on most points. Personally, I'd like to see the implementation go something like this:

Winning a pet battle gives you a modest chance to acquire some kind of token - following the 'Stone' theme, lets call it a Shard.

A Shard can be used to upgrade a Poor pet to Common quality.
Ten Shards can be converted into a Flawed Stone (like the Motes system), which can be used to upgrade a Common (not Poor!) pet to Uncommon quality.
Ten Flawed Stones can be converted to a Flawless Stone, which can be used to upgrade an Uncommon pet to Rare quality.

End of implementation. Nice, simple, keeps the Pet Battle system nicely partitioned from the PvE/PvP stuff, and provides some feeling of reward from wild battles.
ouch, that stung.
I like the idea of earning them instead of random chance. It feels a little too carrot and stick though. It's a little staggering just how many varieties of spells and pets are out there. I don't think epic stones are needed to lure people into playing more. The system is fun as is. That and I've seen lots of people make very good use of green pets to win. They might be discouraged from that if they think they must have epics.
I really like the idea Rescind laid out. Moderate I'm thinking could be 25% or maybe 30%.

I'm keeping with my food example. It feels more pet centric to me.

Wild Pet battles would Moderately award a Pet Biscuit. PvP Pet Battle Wins would always award a Pet Biscuit. A pet Biscuit can be used to upgrade a pet from Poor to Common or to purchase items from the Pet Trainers like Audrey Hepburn.

Those inventories could look something like this...

Fetching Stick - 5 Pet Biscuits (play Fetch with your pet)
Rubber Ball - 5 Pet Biscuits (allows you to bounce a ball around with your pet similar to the Cloud Serpent game)
Pampering Kit - 5 Pet Biscuits (pamper you pet with special food, a shampoo, grooming and love)
Pet Bandages - 5 Pet Biscuits (same as already in the game)
Growth Hormones - 7 Pet Biscuits (does the same as Papa Hummels Pet Biscuits, enlarges your pet for as long as it's by your side)
Pet Cookie - 10 Pet Biscuits (allows you to upgrade a Common Pet to an Uncommon Pet)
Pet Collar - 100 Pet Biscuits (allows you to upgrade an Uncommon Pet to a Rare Pet)

There could be more achievements added for playing Fetch with so many pets and Bouncing the Ball and Pampering so many pets etc. There could be an Achievement for doing all 3 with 1 pet, 10 pets etc.

You could add achievements for upgrading a pet from Poor to Rare, Upgrading a pet from each family from Poor to Rare. Upgrading x number of pets from Poor to Rare. etc etc etc

There could be more inventory added over time. Throw in a special pet to purchase every once in a while for 500 Biscuits or something like that.

The Pet Tamers around the world, and the daily quests could have Pet Biscuits or even Cookies or Collars included in the reward bags.
I like the idea of the battle stones, and the fact that they can be bought on the AH is also a nice touch.

I really, really hope the dailies are fixed on Tuesday, though, that's the biggest thing for me.
Honestly this is for the casual player, those of us who have spent a fair amount of time gathering pets already have rare versions of everything we like and want to use. It isn't hard to get the achievement for catching 50 rare battle pets by the time you level a group from 1-25. If you find a pet you like, farm it till you get a rare.

The battle stones will just save me some grinding time.
I think the Flawless Battle-stones to raise a pet to Rare quality are a good idea because it will allow upgrading of all the pets that lack rare versions, such as many of the holiday, quest and vendor pets. I would upgrade my Peddlefeet and Mechanical Squirrel to rare if I could.

I don't see the point of Polished Battle-stones to raise a pet to uncommon quality. I still wouldn't want to use a green pet if there was a rare version I could capture in the wild.

I'd like to see the use of a Polished Battle-stone on an Uncommon pet raise it to Rare quality.
Definitely looking forward to them. There are some pets which you just can't get rare versions of (iirc, the lanterns from the Lunar Festival are uncommon, but you obviously can't catch rares versions of them :-P), so being able to have a way to make them rare is a welcome addition. IIRC the actual stones aren't soulbound (though that could change), which means that you're always welcome to farm gold instead of relying on RNG and buy them off the AH.
I can see raising the vender pets to rare that way, I hadn't thought about that.
IMO another dumb down move by blizzard, the fun is FINDING rare pets, I have 466 pets at the moment and I would say at LEAST 2/3 of my pets are at least a rare pet because I took the time not to settle for a poor, commom and uncommon.

That what keeps me pet battling, looking for rares, once everyone has a rare, then there goes the challege and reason to do a pet battle once all the achievements are met.

Stupid move on blizzard part IMO, all this does is help the lazy people out.
IMO another dumb down move by blizzard, the fun is FINDING rare pets, I have 466 pets at the moment and I would say at LEAST 2/3 of my pets are at least a rare pet because I took the time not to settle for a poor, commom and uncommon.

That what keeps me pet battling, looking for rares, once everyone has a rare, then there goes the challege and reason to do a pet battle once all the achievements are met.

You know...I've been playing since hunters had to learn pet abilities to teach their pets, since before all the 60% riding abilities got consolidated into 'journeyman riding', since action bars were something you needed an add-on for - and as much as I enjoy telling the 'across the Barrens on foot both ways' stories and doing the crazy time-consuming things (exalted with Hydraxian Waterlords via two-manning MC repeatedly at 80, anyone else do this?)...not everyone is like me.

This is a game. It should be fun. If 'fun' for you means not using stones and finding rares via battling repeatedly, then good for you. Sell the stones you get and profit on other people being lazy. But your $15 a month isn't any better or worse than someone else's $15, and if fun for them is catching a single pet and then using a stone to upgrade it, then that's only your business if you're selling the stone they buy.

"Lazy" people who want to use pets who currently cannot be obtained at rare quality, yes. It does help them out. Curse those lazy people, and their desire to use different pets.

Anyway, it looks like they'll probably be rare enough that hunting for a wild rare will still probably be the way to go. I do think that they could be implemented better (though I don't think that changing it so you had to upgrade them one quality at a time would be a good call, simply because poor and common, and to some extent uncommon pets are pretty much interchangeable anyway), but the current implementation seems pretty decent overall.
so these are permanent upgrades? It is not like they just last one battle right?
I would prefer a system that allowed me to spend trainer experience to upgrade my pets as opposed to some mystic stone.

Stones take away from the feeling that it is through my abillities and training that my pet is getting stronger faster tougher etc

How awesome would it be to have a diablo style level up process where you click points into health speed attack etc