Guide to Challenge Mode GOLD runs

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 3 4 5 13 Next
Yeah I hero immediately as the instance starts and then it'll be up for last boss (12 min timer so it'll be up).

One other general tip I have to suggest is to make sure you're pre-potting before the first pull of a given instance so you're getting that 1 minute potion timer started, which can result in getting an extra potion use. Same goes for any other case where your potion is available and haven't pulled yet.
10/27/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Gròmmash
I know I've popped horn of winter under the effect a few times.

Oh god, this, I've actually grabbed my hand with my other hand to stop me from using horn, it's such a habit on downtime, including running around
bump
I apologize if this has been answered already: If I get all of one type of medal on one characters, do my alts also have access to the reward (title, mount, transmog gear)? So, if I got gold on one character, could I transmog all my characters with their respective armor sets?
10/30/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Juuhachi
I apologize if this has been answered already: If I get all of one type of medal on one characters, do my alts also have access to the reward (title, mount, transmog gear)? So, if I got gold on one character, could I transmog all my characters with their respective armor sets?

No. Metals are bound by character.
Hrm. Should I remake this thread with a more extensive beginner oriented FAQ section? Really only intended to post videos at first, but seems like there's a lot of questions that aren't covered that people have before setting food inside CMs. Would love to add a link to the cross realm group thread too to increase the odds of people finding other people for em.
Thank you man, I love your videos!
I'm soooo waiting for my buddies to gear up for challenge modes.... lazy b*st*rds...
I wish i had an awesome group like yours
just one question:
Every piece needs to be at or above 463, right? do enchants/gems have any influence? from what i understand hit doesnt get downgraded, does spirit for hybrids???
IMPORTANT: whats the hit cap for challenge modes?? the same as for heroics or the same as for raids??

Thank you for your awesome videos man! i wish you the best and keep em coming!
First off, great guides! My group is working through them right now. We've gotten 3 golds so far and are now working on Mogu'shan Palace.

Do you think that it would be beneficial to take the few seconds to do the defense mechanism on the last boss in Palace? It removes some of the traps and does a chunk of damage to the boss as well (I think, he seems to lose like 10% of his life when it happens).
Thank you man, I love your videos!
I'm soooo waiting for my buddies to gear up for challenge modes.... lazy b*st*rds...
I wish i had an awesome group like yours
just one question:
Every piece needs to be at or above 463, right? do enchants/gems have any influence? from what i understand hit doesnt get downgraded, does spirit for hybrids???
IMPORTANT: whats the hit cap for challenge modes?? the same as for heroics or the same as for raids??

Thank you for your awesome videos man! i wish you the best and keep em coming!

Only hit and expertise don't scale down, I would assume spirit works similarly in that the hit on your character sheet wouldn't change. Enchants and gems are important, of course, gem slots are a good value relative to item budget, which is important when your gear is being scaled.
The hit cap is no different than raids: bosses are 93 (raid boss level) and trash is 92 typically. So you need much less hit for trash than bosses.

11/01/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Ganrokh
Do you think that it would be beneficial to take the few seconds to do the defense mechanism on the last boss in Palace? It removes some of the traps and does a chunk of damage to the boss as well (I think, he seems to lose like 10% of his life when it happens).

I don't think it's worth the movement, but I've certainly seen people do it. I don't think it's a loss, I just never thought it was really a big gain either. Can always experiment with it! That's the real fun of challenge modes :)
Hey, Marza. I'm Kyne's healer in our CM group. /wave

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this information. I would like to add something that might help healers out on their attempts into CMs.

Restorative Amber - The Klaxxi (Honored)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=89230/restorative-amber

Kyne suggested this a bit ago and this has made my life much easier in the sense of regaining mana fast when we have a moment to get out of combat, since those times are pretty rare when your pushing gold times.

The downside is that they are 7G a pop, but if your serious about getting gold...GET THEM! Also, you need to make a /cancelaura Restorative Amber macro, you'll see why when you use them. :D

Thanks again, Marza.
Just wanted to extend my gratitude for these guides, they've been very helpful. Thanks, you're (still) the man Marza
11/09/2012 08:59 PMPosted by Xonk
Just wanted to extend my gratitude for these guides, they've been very helpful. Thanks, you're (still) the man Marza

Hah, thanks Xonk, fun watching you guys on Vizier :P

And yeah, Ambers are fantastic. I suppose that would be something I'd throw into a general FAQ: They're pricy, but they regen mana twice as fast and won't cancel if you get into combat. Literally superior in all ways.
Thanks these were very helpful. Shaman set looks so sick I might actually have to play Elemental in raids again
Hey there. I'm relatively new to challenge modes as a whole and figured asking here might yield me a better answer than my own realm. Could you take a look at my gear and tell me if there's anything I could benefit to use, change, etc? I've gotten up to Thalnos in SM Challenge, but the group went in blind, so not much results were had. The difficulty is definitely something I'm into overcoming, so any and all help and information would be greatly appreciated. If you'd like, you can add my Btag with a note of who it is and we can talk there if it's not a bother: MisterMoxie#1906. Thank you very much :)
11/10/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Ashforde
Hey there. I'm relatively new to challenge modes as a whole and figured asking here might yield me a better answer than my own realm. Could you take a look at my gear and tell me if there's anything I could benefit to use, change, etc? I've gotten up to Thalnos in SM Challenge, but the group went in blind, so not much results were had. The difficulty is definitely something I'm into overcoming, so any and all help and information would be greatly appreciated. If you'd like, you can add my Btag with a note of who it is and we can talk there if it's not a bother: MisterMoxie#1906. Thank you very much :)

I had significantly worse gear than yours, as long as you manage cds properly you'll be fine.
Alrighty, thank you. Any suggestion to spec and the like? I feel as though my DPS could be alot higher than it is, but some fights yield lower DPS due to the mechanics. I just don't want to look like a fool when I get into these.
11/10/2012 10:09 AMPosted by Ashforde
Alrighty, thank you. Any suggestion to spec and the like? I feel as though my DPS could be alot higher than it is, but some fights yield lower DPS due to the mechanics. I just don't want to look like a fool when I get into these.

I changed mine constantly depending on the run, the only things I kept every time were fist of justice, selfless healer, clemency, and holy avenger.

Rotating light's hammer and holy prism based on what the trash pulls are like is really useful, but I mostly used light's hammer.

the best way to squeeze out more damage is to get used to using 2 and 3 minute cooldowns as effectively and often as possible. using a holy avenger to clear trash twice as fast when you know it will come up near the end of a boss fight can be a great time saver.
Once again, thanks for posting all this. Sticky requested.
Bump, seems like we're seeing a lot of 'new' challenge mode help posts lately.
11/15/2012 03:59 AMPosted by Marza
Bump, seems like we're seeing a lot of 'new' challenge mode help posts lately.

And people need to hear your Isaac Hayes like soothing voice.