Lets talk Rotations Afflic and Demo

Warlock
i have been out of the loop for awhile, can you fellow locks fill me in on what do you think are the current best rotations for Afflic. and Demo

ps - where the hell did shadow bolt go? or is it only a lvl 90 skill i cant find it in my spellbook

pss - do we still let dots tick till the very end and then refresh?
10/13/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Souldiesel
ps - where the hell did shadow bolt go? or is it only a lvl 90 skill i cant find it in my spellbook

Demo has shadowbolt afflic does not.
Right now I'm more in favor of Demo for PvE, it just does more DPS for me. Like Xoxoqtqt said, Shadowbolt is in the Demo tree now. I'm no pro, and my rotation may be WAYYY off, but I do something like,

Curse of Ele. > Corruption > Hand of Gul'dan > Shadowbolt spam to build up Demonic Fury. All the while you have to watch Corruption and drop a Fel Flame to renew it. Use Soul Fire when Molten Core procs. As soon as your Demonic Fury bar is full, pop Metamorphosis and make sure Corruption is still on. Then, put Doom on, drop Chaos Wave, and spam the hell out of Touch of Chaos. I save Dark Soul for these Demon Form DPS bursts, and I save Molten Core procs while in Demon Form for when these bursts are over, and only use Soul Fire in caster form.

I'm not exactly good at wording things lol, so that seems like a lot, but it really isn't. I usually pull about 45k-48k DPS on heroic bosses. That may or may not be good, but I can only get about 38k-40k with Affliction.
Thanks appreciate the demo tips

anyone with a good rotation for afflic.? do we still let all the dots get off all the ticks then we refresh?
Affliction Single Target

CoE - Soulburn:Soul Swap to put up all 3 dots - Haunt - Malefic Grasp - keep Haunt up....at 20% and below, replace MG with Drain Soul. During Execute phase, only SB:SS when Agony ticks its last tick...you don't want to clip Agony. Keep Haunt up as much as you can....although on single target it likely won't happen as you'll be out of shards.
you have to watch Corruption and drop a Fel Flame to renew it.

Bad! Fel Flame is ONLY used while moving, for all 3 specs (ok, Destro has some legit uses for it to quickly generate shards in certain rare circumstances, but not on a patchwerk fight). For basic Demo, just refresh Corruption normally by recasting it. For advanced Demo strategy, swap to Meta form, pop Touch of Chaos 2-3 times to bump it's duration back up, then swap back out.

Also, Chaos Wave is a no-no in Meta form, it's on the same CD as Hand of Gul'dan, and denies you the Shadowflame DoT (only useful in AoE burst situations). Just drop Doom and spam Touch of Chaos. Also, the idea isn't really to burn yourself completely out of Fury. Demo swaps back and forth pretty regularly to keep Corruption and Doom active, the only time you burn tons of Fury is when Dark Soul is up (preferably with other cooldowns as well). Lastly, avoid using Soul Fire in Meta form except during the execute phase , as it's cost in Fury is insanely high. Those Molten Core procs are better spent in caster form generating tons of Fury.

On the Affliction side, Haunt isn't possible to keep up 100%. I usually burn myself down to 1 shard, then save up to 3, burn down to 1, repeat. Try to clip it so your next Haunt lands within the last 2 seconds of the prior debuff, as that will give you a full 8 additional seconds, AND the second Haunt will gain the 25% damage buff. This way I can always get at least 1 Haunt buffed by the prior one's debuff, while still leaving myself a shard's worth of wiggle room on either side in case I need to Soulburn something or I get a lot of procs of Nightfall.

Also, ALWAYS ALWAYS clip Agony. Unlike pre-5.0, Agony's ramp mechanic is based on stacks, which do NOT reset when Agony is refreshed, only if it falls off the target. Letting Agony fall off the target loses about a third of the damage for the next case of Agony. You NEVER want to let it fall off if you can help it. UA and Corruption are less of an issue, but it's still better to clip than to let fall off. Also remember that at 90 we have Pandemic, so you can refresh any of your DoTs if they are less than 50% of original duration (~7 seconds on UA, ~9 on Corruption, ~14 on Agony) at no DPS loss.

During the execute phase for Aff, you'll have enough Shards coming in to have 100% uptime on Haunt and probably enough to use Soulburn Swaps to maintain your DoTs as well.
Why would not use Fel Flame to keep corruption up? Recasting uses the same GCD, but you get the extra dmg with Fel Flame. That seems like a no brainer... However, switching back and forth for Doom + Corruption I had not thought of. I need to do some more testing.
Why would not use Fel Flame to keep corruption up? Recasting uses the same GCD, but you get the extra dmg with Fel Flame. That seems like a no brainer... However, switching back and forth for Doom + Corruption I had not thought of. I need to do some more testing.

Because using Fel Flame adds 6 seconds and a small amount of damage, while recasting it using the actual spell adds 18 seconds. You'd have to use 3 Fel Flames per 18 seconds to keep Corruption up, while you only have to use 1 Corruption. The damage of those 3 Fel Flames is not superior to the damage you'd deal with 2 globals worth of filler, for any spec.
Ah, makes sense. Thx :)
I feel gimp with aff also. On the stone guardians, I can sit around 45k or so while I watch wars and dks running 70 to 80...at least with demo, I know I can get good burst out every 30 seconds or so.

Been playing around with my hit but nothing pisses me off more than being SS starved and then your haunt missing....I've heard lots, for the first raid boss at least, not using haunt at all but just dotting up both mobs and mging the focused one. Will have to play with that this week I guess.
Affliction is the best pve spec atm but is also the hardest to play effectively so most warlocks will not play it, or play it with little success. I don't play demo very much, but here is what i do for demo :

Demo : pop into metamorph and throw on doom, leave metamorph, coe, corrup, hog, shadow bolt spam, refreshing corrup and doom as needed, molten core procs take priority over shadow bolt as well.

Afflic : coe, haunt, sbss dots on, mg, refresh ua and corrrup with casts, drain soul under 20%

Afflic tips : don't be afraid to use all your soulshards, haunt must be active as much as possible. Don't put haunt on if any dot has under 7 seconds remaining or it will be a dps loss. Under 20% hp refresh dots with sbss and use haunt as much as possible, but pay attention to when your drain soul will tic, you don't wanna cancel it to put on haunt if it will tic again in under 1 second.

That's about all I got atm.

EDIT : Also, a big key to soul shard management is just playing smart which comes by knowing fights. For instance : don't sbss dots on 2 stone guardians right away because you don't know which one will be dragged away, you might waste a shard if you do so.

Going along with every other fight, just don't use a haunt or sbss dots on something if you know the boss might become immune soon and a second thing will come out you must kill.. things like that. Just play smart and be smart about your management of shards.