Riddle me this AH gurus...

Dalaran
1 2 3 5 Next
All glyphs in the game require 3 "inks". To think that all scribes farm their inks is naive at best. So lets assume the big glyph makers are using the recent update of ink trading using Ink of Dreams. The average cost of Ink of Dreams is 12g 45s per ink. For further clarification, Green Tea Leaf is the best priced herb on the AH with an approximate value of 13g 68s per ink.

If the existing prices per ink are 12g 45s (straight up ink) / 13g 68s per ink are to be trusted as "minimums", and knowing that all glyphs require 3 inks, this would put a cost of glyphs at 37g 35s & 41g 04s respectively.

Could someone please explain why "any" glyph is for sale for less than "37g"?

All answers will be accepted, but just on basic math why would anyone sell a glyph for less than the minimum?

For one of you super rich players, I purchased the Yak so I'm out of the club, why hasn't someone flat out purchased every glyph under say...20g and forced the market? Why are scribes willing to sell for so low prices when the base minimum is 37g?

Look I get it, we just exited DMF week and everyone was hustling to get their DMF cards crafted but wouldn't that put an even larger drain on Ink of Dreams because of the 10:1 tradein ratio?
Boy your panties are really twisted over this, imma sell glyphs at 5g for funsies now!
10/19/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Cana
Could someone please explain why "any" glyph is for sale for less than "37g"?

Supply >Demand

....why hasn't someone flat out purchased every glyph under say...20g and forced the market? Why are scribes willing to sell for so low prices when the base minimum is 37g?

Some scribes tried that shortly after 5.0.4 dropped...it failed. I had a blast throwing up glyphs at ~50g a pop while they pushed for 500g. Admittedly, a few tried to buy me out but they couldn't handle the volume I SHAT upon the AH. It was fun.
10/19/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Cana
To think that all scribes farm their inks is naive at best

i may not farm the herbs, but if i want jadefire ink, i am not milling greentea leaf, when i can mill khadgar's whisker for a few silver a piece. the person only buying new content herbs to mill is the naive one if ya ask me.
I have more respect for a person who undercuts by half then that guy undercutting by 1 copper, or worse, the guy matching the buyout but undercutting the starting bid so his will list first. So greedy...
some good discussion, i'll hit each one...one at a time.
10/19/2012 04:44 PMPosted by Dcuponoodles
Boy your panties are really twisted over this, imma sell glyphs at 5g for funsies now!

Not really, it just doesn't make sense to sell something for 5g that the masses would have to spend 37g. That is leaving gold on the table.

To each his own, don't get me wrong but there are glyphs on the AH right now for 10s. That just doesn't make sense.
10/19/2012 04:48 PMPosted by Iodine
Supply >Demand

I'll accept the supply > demand only up to a point. You still have to press the button to create any glyph. Why would anyone choose to create a glyph that sells for 5g when the mats add up to 37g. Why wouldn't you just not make that glyph at all? Having a handful of each class, I know there are lots of glyphs that no one would ever use ever...why would you even bother crafting said glyph? I know that TSM is a very popular addon (or so i've been told) and based on 5 minutes of research you can elect to ignore crafting glyphs under thresholds. Why would one choose to craft something 30g or more undervaule?

Some scribes tried that shortly after 5.0.4 dropped...it failed. I had a blast throwing up glyphs at ~50g a pop while they pushed for 500g. Admittedly, a few tried to buy me out but they couldn't handle the volume I SHAT upon the AH. It was fun.

Well "50g" isn't exactly less than 37g. even at 50g you would make a 13g "ish" profit. I have nothing to seay about 50g...what I don't get is the above threat of 5g glyphs. The materials alone add up to larger than 37g.
10/19/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Dcuponoodles
To think that all scribes farm their inks is naive at best

i may not farm the herbs, but if i want jadefire ink, i am not milling greentea leaf, when i can mill khadgar's whisker for a few silver a piece. the person only buying new content herbs to mill is the naive one if ya ask me.

I looked it up, you're correct Jadefire ink is at 7g straight up and 1g 66s if you buy Khadgar's whisker - so yes that's a sweet spot for those glyphs. spend 3g to sell at 5g is a 2g profit - i got no issue with that.

I guess with that, one could take the time to break up their TSM listings and break off Jadefire Glyphs. That's a solid retort, thanks.

This is why I made the post, I was trying to understand what two co-workers were talking about and now I have something to retort on Monday.
10/19/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Febreeze
It's for the same reason you try and sell gems for 200+ gold a piece and people come along and undercut you for more than 50%.

As mentioned by others, I don't think I mind a guy who wants to dominate a market even at a 50% less...as long as I could see they were still making a profit. Besides jadefire (and a few others I quickly took a peek at) most glyphs using other inks actually 'cost' more than 37g simply because the herbs aren't present on the ah. Ink Tradein is the only viable way to get those inks.

I accept the above example (Jadefire), but there are still a lot more glyphs that actually cost more to produce than a simple ink exchange.
10/19/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Dcuponoodles
I have more respect for a person who undercuts by half then that guy undercutting by 1 copper, or worse, the guy matching the buyout but undercutting the starting bid so his will list first. So greedy...

Same as above, if a person has nothing better to do than sit in the ah all day and cancel their auctions over and over then so be it. However, the guys at work told me they just look and see if it's only 1-4 and they just buy 'em out and re-list.

1c, 1s, 1g...100g...do what you will, just don't sell for less than the materials cost to produce, that makes no sense.
As if there is any respect with anything that goes down in the AH.
I'd rather have someone undercut by a copper than dragging the price down and flooding the market to the point where it's not even worth putting things up on the AH anymore.

That's why I moved from the gem market to the fish selling market. You'd be surprised how much people will pay for feast mats.

A valid argument. So many people have it convinced that gems are where it's at. I made more gold in Cata from fishing while watching sticoms than I did at any profession at any point in this game.

here's another protip: Level 85 alts can be flown to halfhill on a 2 person mount and do the inital quests to open the first plots of soil. Take a look at how much carrots sell for. I'm making back my Yak mount strictly off 10 minutes of work up and down all my 85 alts selling carrots and melons. Witchberries sell really well too. I would say: Carrots > Witchberries > Melons...but there isn't one food crop that i haven't been able to sell for a boatload of gold with minimum competition.
10/19/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Febreeze
As if there is any respect with anything that goes down in the AH

I respect.
10/19/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Dcuponoodles
I respect.

10/19/2012 04:44 PMPosted by Dcuponoodles

Big meanie
10/19/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Cana
I respect.

Big meanie

Can't take !@#$%ing while wearing chef's hat seriously... Want to tell get in kitchen make me sandwich.... must resist....