Alpha Models (as options!) for Worgen

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
Seconding this. It might be a little strange to see alpha and the current Worgen alongside each other, but it's a shame to see the variety of eyes and hair the alpha models had go to waste. You can't even change the mane/hair color in Worgen form anymore.
10/20/2012 09:22 PMPosted by Renshaw
I would definitely throw some money at Blizzard for race changes if the alpha models were an option.

I'd definitely race-change my priest.
pandaren look amazing. ujell?
I would definitely throw some money at Blizzard for race changes if the alpha models were an option.

I'd definitely race-change my priest.

I'd likely recustomize my priest back to a female. I changed her to a male because I got tired of having to hide her face. =/
10/20/2012 10:34 PMPosted by Olivia

No, not really.
I do not want Blizzard to even TOUCH the models. I may be the only one to see them to be adorable. Their eyes are mesmerizing and they can be adorable if you pick the right fur colour and hair style. I don't want my Worgen to look wild.

I like her the way she is.

But worgen aren't SUPPOSED to be adorable. They are SUPPOSED to be wild!

That said, this would just be an option, same as older player models can choose their new MOP model or their Classic model.

110% support this. There is no reason they cannot do this, aside from stubbornness. Unless I;m mistaken, the only animation the alpha was missing was the dance, which is not terribly time-consuming to import onto the alpha model seeing as they share a skeleton.

Please Blizz? Please?
10/20/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Garofalo

There were several "wild" faces to choose from with the alpha model.

The differences in eye color were drastic; you had blue eyes that looked tranquil and pleasant, green eyes with a crafty look, orange eyes (that rather remind me of the current eyes, an attempt at sexy...though they did it much better), and red eyes with a hint of "Step a foot closer and I'll bite your head off".

This doesn't have the full faces, but it shows the differences in eyes:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/099/5/3/female_worgen_stuff_by_hitsujifox-d3dl2jo.png

110% support this. There is no reason they cannot do this, aside from stubbornness. Unless I;m mistaken, the only animation the alpha was missing was the dance, which is not terribly time-consuming to import onto the alpha model seeing as they share a skeleton.

They were missing the dance, whirlwind, and several other attack animations. But since it's the same skeleton as the live worgen, they SHOULD be able to just transfer those animations over. I say should because I can do it with my freeware 3D modelling software.
Gimme my dorfs new models please....and tattoos!
Even though there were options for cuter or sexier female worgen alongside the more fierce ones, they still had that predatory focus, and they still looked like they were capable if ripping your face off.

Though I cannot say much about the opinion of worgen being cute, since I'm the type of person who finds animals like sharks, hyenas, and alligators to be cute. XD
10/20/2012 11:56 PMPosted by Gerart

There were several "wild" faces to choose from with the alpha model.

The differences in eye color were drastic; you had blue eyes that looked tranquil and pleasant, green eyes with a crafty look, orange eyes (that rather remind me of the current eyes, an attempt at sexy...though they did it much better), and red eyes with a hint of "Step a foot closer and I'll bite your head off".

Oh yes.... I know. The alpha was way more ferocious in combat anyway because she had that neutral base to work from, so when she was mad, she looked MAD! When the character looks mad all the time (or rather, when you try to make them look mad all the time, femworg fails on this) then when they actually need to look REALLY MAD, it's tough. Male worgen have this effect. Since they're always baring their teeth and growling, it's hard to make them look even more fearsome in combat.

My point was to someone who said the current model looked adorable, and didn't want the alpha model because she didn't want a "wild worgen".

10/20/2012 11:56 PMPosted by Gerart
They were missing the dance, whirlwind, and several other attack animations. But since it's the same skeleton as the live worgen, they SHOULD be able to just transfer those animations over. I say should because I can do it with my freeware 3D modelling software.

Hmm, I could have sworn they had all the attack animations, but then again, my WoW MV stopped loading alpha worgen a long time ago so I can no longer check. I'll take your word for it. Still, as you said, same skeleton. I just hope they don't just transfer the whole lot of animations over, because I much prefer the alpha "jump land" where she uses her hands to catch herself and doesn't almost bonk her forehead on the ground clumsily; and the alpha "omni cast" where she doesn't have an invisible neck brace.
10/21/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Garofalo
Oh yes.... I know.

Heh.

I see you now; didn't check Cogshanks before replying. =P

Hmm, I could have sworn they had all the attack animations, but then again, my WoW MV stopped loading alpha worgen a long time ago so I can no longer check. I'll take your word for it. Still, as you said, same skeleton. I just hope they don't just transfer the whole lot of animations over, because I much prefer the alpha "jump land" where she uses her hands to catch herself and doesn't almost bonk her forehead on the ground clumsily; and the alpha "omni cast" where she doesn't have an invisible neck brace.

True. I'd have to hunt through the list in order to find the ones that were missed.

I reposted the mod that makes alpha females usable through WMV on my DA page:
http://girault.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5eg5pr

They're still in the game files, but they can't be used unless you have the mod because of the way WMV is written.
Male worgen have this effect. Since they're always baring their teeth and growling, it's hard to make them look even more fearsome in combat.

I tend to agree; that's why I'm fond of the alpha male model. They look peaceful outside of combat, giving them more freedom to look mad during.
10/21/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Gerart
Oh yes.... I know.

Heh.

I see you now; didn't check Cogshanks before replying. =P

True. I'd have to hunt through the list in order to find the ones that were missed.

I reposted the mod that makes alpha females usable through WMV on my DA page:
http://girault.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5eg5pr

They're still in the game files, but they can't be used unless you have the mod because of the way WMV is written.

In all fairness, I'm sure my Cogshanks is as stuffed as yours! :P

I'm using that on my WMV, but it's not the same, some skins are bugged and when I need to look at the humans I have to take it out. But it is still nice to have :)
10/21/2012 09:04 AMPosted by Garofalo
I'm using that on my WMV, but it's not the same, some skins are bugged and when I need to look at the humans I have to take it out. But it is still nice to have :)

Yeah. I don't know how to fix that yet, haven't taken the time to learn how WMV is built to see if there's a workaround.
I think the biggest differences from Alpha VS Current models are way, way smaller than you believe. They are literally three, ignoring the hairstyles because those are too easily added into our new models;

1) Eyes.
2) Ear shape.
3) Muzzle Shape.

The eyes and ears could be added into our current face options, but if they added the muzzle shape as a new customization option, It'd definetly fix this. Know how goblins change chin, ears and nose with a click? That could very well be integrated to toggle from Alpha eyes/ears/muzzles to the regular ones we have. Just an idea.
I think the biggest differences from Alpha VS Current models are way, way smaller than you believe. They are literally three, ignoring the hairstyles because those are too easily added into our new models;

1) Eyes.
2) Ear shape.
3) Muzzle Shape.

The eyes and ears could be added into our current face options, but if they added the muzzle shape as a new customization option, It'd definetly fix this. Know how goblins change chin, ears and nose with a click? That could very well be integrated to toggle from Alpha eyes/ears/muzzles to the regular ones we have. Just an idea.

There's several other things, but the face is the biggest one.

Her bust got bigger when they moved to the live model, and her waist smaller. This leads to some of the clipping and general bizarreness issues we see in the current model.

But yes, that's what I'm hoping for. =D
Am I late to the party? I feel like I'm late.

While I would prefer a complete model overhaul, I would be content with bringing back the alpha faces, so this has my vote. I was greatly looking forward to making a female worgen when Cataclysm was first announced, but I was extremely disappointed with the final product.

Also of note, I was doing a little deviantART searching and I stumbled across these images by one frisket17. I think they look amazing and I would love if female worgen actually looked like this.

http://frisket17.deviantart.com/art/Worgen-Fem-Model-3-Chocolate-190490001
http://frisket17.deviantart.com/art/Worgen-Female-Model-2-Silver-184943012
10/21/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Valethria
Am I late to the party? I feel like I'm late.

Never too late to join.

We've had 6 threads on the Mists forums, but since those forums are locked now, it seemed a good idea to move this over here.

It's possible to make it both adorable and ferocious because it has been done on the Charrs which is another mmo game.

They had it with the Alpha female worgen look before they changed them into Divas worgens.

I wear the Female Worgen Halloween mask to pretend I have the alpha look. The female worgen mask still carries the Alpha look for the worgens instead of the current look.

1) Eyes.
2) Ear shape.
3) Muzzle Shape.

There's several other things, but the face is the biggest one.

Her bust got bigger when they moved to the live model, and her waist smaller. This leads to some of the clipping and general bizarreness issues we see in the current model.

But yes, that's what I'm hoping for. =D

Furthermore, the ears changed not only shape but location, and lost the subtle rigging they used to have. Whereas before, the worgen's ears would lay flat when sad/angry or twitch and flick during certain animations, now we just have the magical disappearing ears during combat and that's it.

The eyes are a huge change, whether you like them or not. Eyes are the window to the soul, truly; changing a character's eyes so greatly has a huge impact on the way the character looks and feels, and how players react to the character. Whereas before, we had eyes that were smaller and very animalistic... we now have eyes that are large, humanlike, and bulbous. Before the eyes had a focus point and looked predatory, now they are off-focus and are set in a "prey animal" position.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8071/femaleworgenfacesedit.png

This is a mockup of the Live model with the Alpha eyes. As you can see, far more has changed on the head than just the three things you listed. The whole entire head was remade from scratch.
10/20/2012 10:34 PMPosted by Olivia

Yes...though the only reason why they look so good is because of the mess that happen with the female worgen...they didn't even get them out untill the very very end of beta. So there was nothing they could do but cover their ears as the player feedback rolled in.

so in a way...your welcome :) female worgen were rushed, theres enough evidence to close that case before it even got to court....

But worgen aren't SUPPOSED to be adorable. They are SUPPOSED to be wild

There is a difference between wild and stupid. First off they don't even look like they belong to the same species as the males. They don't even look like wolfs! how can they be WORGen if there is no WORG?They look like a deranged toy breed dog...how is a chihuahua wild? or even close to look like a wolf? Why do they have human eyes? why do their ears glitch around to this day? why do their teeth look like they have dentures in?

Answer? rushed.