Nat Pagle Friendship - Suggestions

Professions
I've been thinking on this quite a bit the last week or so. I thought about posting last night, but decided to sleep on it, after thinking it through more and more today, I've decided to just post. Quite frankly, the ends don't justify the means. I've been a big in game fisher for years now and I don't have a problem fishing for mats to make food etc. It's actually been really great that fishing can benefit me in a lot more ways than one in this expansion, particularly turning them in for the Iron Paw Tokens.

I'm currently exalted with The Anglers and The Tillers. I have both cooking and fishing at 600 and at this point, I fish purely for tokens to turn in so it is easier to create my 300 stat foods. That being said, I am always trying to max my rep with as many different factions (or in this case, people) in every expansion. Nat Pagle is a different story, however, in that you can only turn in to him 3x a day for 500-550 rep (depending on the race/guild lvl). This would take nearly 3 weeks straight of fishing for ~2+ hours a day.

The fishing, I don't mind... it's the open water fishing that bothers me, for a number of reasons. First, I play on a PvP server and open water fishing means a few things: I can either hope that my 600 fishing is enough (to not get gray items that sell for 5c as well as fish up the quest fish) and wear my weapon to defend against any attacks that may occur, or I can equip my fishing pole and a lure to increase to 780 fishing and hope no one will attack me in the time it takes to fish up the quest item.

Like I said, I thought this through for awhile and I've come up with a few suggestions for ways to adjust slightly, without making it super easy to get the items. I don't mean for all of these things, they're all different ideas that are separate from each other.

- Slightly (only slightly) increase the drop rate of the quest fish
- Allow the quest fish to be caught from matching pools (i.e. Mimic Octopus from Reef Octopus Swarm)

Or you can just make it more worth our time to bother with it (I can max fishing on an alt in the time it would take for me to become best friends with Nat Pagle). Here are some ways to make the end justify the means:

- BoA lures (100+ fishing) that can be attached to a char rather than a pole (similar to the pandaren fishing charm)
- A different colored water strider mount only from max nat pagle friendship and exalted with anglers
- A raft that can be added to our mount spellbook and doesn't need to be refreshed every 10 min (can still be fished from while riding)

I think any of these ways, on their own, could make people who are already attempting to get max friendship with Nat Pagle feel like they didn't waste their time doing it, and could even make more people than just those who are currently working toward it, consider working towards max friendship. I feel like this was the whole intention of adding the anglers and nat pagle to pandaria, attempting to have more players fishing to make it a viable secondary profession. Finding better ways to motivate people, rather than just frustrating them as they attempt to get a book and max fishing on other characters, seems like something that the game needs.

When I think about it, what's the point in getting the book, really? For what purpose do I need max fishing on my other characters if I can simply do the fishing on my main? Make it worth our while and I'm sure you will see more people fishing and working toward best friends with Nat Pagle.

Thanks for reading, please no flaming or whining - if you have other suggestions, that are reasonable, for ways to improve this friendship or things that would motivate you to max this friendship, please post them here.
Even on a PvP server, open water fishing isn't quite as dangerous as you make it out to be. There are numerous places where you're effectively invisible to passers-by and unlikely to be specifically targeted. Even if someone does stumble across you, dying isn't all that big a deal. Keep in mind that many folks have spent hours standing in an enemy city fishing up a quest fish before - finding a quiet spot on an entire continent isn't all that difficult in comparison.

I agree that the +50 fishing book is pretty pointless. The only thing you get from high fishing skill is the ability to fish, so there's no reason to raise it on alts. Even the hat is unimpressive since all it really does is save you money on Aquadynamic Fish Attractors (and, even then, only in the Vale since everywhere else can be fished with the Weather-Beaten lure).
The PvP server fishing was not meant to be any major point in the grand scheme of things posted in my original post. My point wasn't that I would get ganked while fishing or anything, it's just showing the extent one has to go in order to fish up a quest fish is a little ridiculous, especially if that person is going spend hours in a day, every day for 3 weeks fishing... there could be rewards that are more lucrative than leveling fishing on an alt slightly faster.

In the big picture, I could easily spend all of that time instead just fishing in org on an alt and leveling fishing quickly. It's not all that difficult to level with the guild level benefits and such, it takes about 1/3 the time it would without the guild bonus.

The hat seems fairly worthless. I have no interest in putting on a bunch of fishing "gear" to go fishing in open water when I can use my fishing charm and fish what I need from the pools.

Keep in mind that many folks have spent hours standing in an enemy city fishing up a quest fish before - finding a quiet spot on an entire continent isn't all that difficult in comparison.

I've been there, I've done all of that. I've played this game for far too long to not have done something like this. However, being on a rather small PvP server and with the recent addition of the xrealm zones - world PvP is going to become more of an issue, if it hasn't for people on other servers already.

Sure I can go out and sit on my little raft, refreshing the buff every 10 minutes to make sure I can fish, but really? Should I really have to just go hide away in a corner so I can spend a few hours fishing up an item to get a whole 500 rep with nat pagle so I can get a book to level fishing on an alt?

This is my point... the rewards are completely not worth the means through which one has to go to get to the end... Why should I bother? I don't even get a title or something completely trivial for doing this. I get 10 achievement points, it doesn't count toward my 70 exalted reputations (I assume since Nomi and the members of the Tillers didn't).

If you haven't leveled fishing, or just plain hate fishing... what in a book and a hat would motivate anyone to start fishing? I imagine that if you had mounts, or even a cool title available, people would be more willing.

So yeah, maybe PvP fishing isn't a "huge" deal or something... maybe this is all just trivial and no one "has" to do any of it. But what about the people who want to do it, who want to get to best friends with Nat Pagle? Are we just supposed to suck it up and realize after 3 weeks of fishing for quest fish that all our time was wasted in the end because we received literally nothing worthwhile?

tl;dr - I am not here to complain about world PvP while fishing - I'm here to suggest better rewards for the time spent to get to best friends ('exalted') with Nat Pagle
Well, sure it would take 3 weeks of GRINDING, but I've never seen fishing as a profession to grind. It's one of those "take your time" things. Makes sense in a way, I think IRL fishing is supposed to be like that too. I'm one of those people that also like to get everything exalted (don't really care about the rewards though, it's just the completionist in me). But I don't rush rush rush to get it done because that kinda ruins it for me.

But having said all that I do agree that a little extra "something" more would be nice for Pagle. I mean, c'mon, it's PAGLE.... he's legend-wait for it-dary. I remember running all over the world to collect fish for his lazy butt in Theramore back in the day and he doesn't even think of me as an Acquaintance??? Geez, what a douche. ;) The book is stupid, I have absolutely no intentions of even wasting my time with it.

Maybe add best friends with Pagle to the "Salty" reqs and get rid of that god-awful tourney once and for all. Or perhaps introduce another tourney with Pagle that only his best friends get to participate in that meets the reqs for the Tourney achieve. Something that's not on a weekend for godssake.
Can't you just macro equipping your weapon into mortal strike, or whatever you typically open with?
10/20/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Keeblik
Can't you just macro equipping your weapon into mortal strike, or whatever you typically open with?

10/20/2012 06:20 PMPosted by Melite
tl;dr - I am not here to complain about world PvP while fishing - I'm here to suggest better rewards for the time spent to get to best friends ('exalted') with Nat Pagle

lol
^ what they said

But having said all that I do agree that a little extra "something" more would be nice for Pagle. I mean, c'mon, it's PAGLE.... he's legend-wait for it-dary. I remember running all over the world to collect fish for his lazy butt in Theramore back in the day and he doesn't even think of me as an Acquaintance??? Geez, what a douche. ;) The book is stupid, I have absolutely no intentions of even wasting my time with it.

Maybe add best friends with Pagle to the "Salty" reqs and get rid of that god-awful tourney once and for all. Or perhaps introduce another tourney with Pagle that only his best friends get to participate in that meets the reqs for the Tourney achieve. Something that's not on a weekend for godssake.

These are some really good suggestions, I wouldn't mind seeing a new/different tourney added to pandaria, I'm surprised there's not one already!
Would also be nice if they gave him a favorite food he enjoyed, hell, even if it was a feast and he wanted 5!
I would like it if there were more from rep vendors, but I suppose that there will be more reputations as the expansion progresses and a possibility of quests in the next patch (we can sort of count on it, right? No way do both factions invade the Wilds and Nat take no notice XD).

I tried catching his fish, but it's too extreme of a timesink at this stage for me to do any more than casually. I'm quite alright with it being an expansion long grind though, I'm taking rep very casually on one toon only at a time (love the Tillers Goat XD).

As to the PVP situation, I feel for you, you'll have to make do sadly.

The Lure with a chance to catch 2x fish rarely should be a Nat Pagle item, not on an epic long spawn timer from an NPC that is religiously camped (sometimes 24x7) by several people at any one time.
I'm happy to see other people interested in better rewards from him. I don't mind it being an expansion long grind, though I don't feel like the rewards really ... well, reward you for that long grind. If people are going to spend an entire expansion doing this, or just go all out and do it in a month, they should be more handsomely rewarded.
I agree with the tourny for Pagle BFFs. I'd love to have a tournament with only a handful of elite fishers rather than a hundred casuals who just want to try it out and get lucky with the RNG.
This may seem counter-intuitive, but you don't want to buff up your fishing skill when going for Pagle's items. They are actually JUNK, and if you're not catching junk because you are too buffed, then it will take forever to get his items. Also don't fish nodes, like fishing Reef Octopus nodes when looking for Mimic Octopus, that never works. (If you think it did work once, it was prolly because bobber was just out of the node's circle.) And at the risk of stating the obvious, once you reach 600 skill, it is better not to fish Krasarang Wilds for Mimic Octopus. Go to the northshore of Kun-Lai summit; the drop rate of junk seems higher there.

So, don't equip a pole/rod, don't use lures or any other buffs. The items themselves say "Fishing Skill Required (1). That makes them the junkiest of junk. (Which in an odd way, makes them the least likely to drop!) It should only take 15 minutes or so to find an item in the proper type of a body of water. Good luck. (and of course, feedback welcomed) Z

(ZrainD is my level 90 fisherman)

(Post Script -- 11/5/12 -- I have reason to believe this hypothesis no longer applies. So, nevermind.)
Mimic takes forever and a day to fish the other 2 I usually get in 3 or 4 minutes mimic takes hours ugh
*waves to Amaranthas*

Nat Pagle can fall off his rowboat and drown. There should be a daily to rescue him and feed him coffee. It's a wonder he's not all fat and sunburned from just sitting around fishing and getting drunk.

I've caught a few of those turn-in fishies by accident and refuse to actually grind for them. Maybe later, way way later after all the other reps are done. Too busy right now!!
10/31/2012 10:50 AMPosted by Zrainr
They are actually JUNK, and if you're not catching junk because you are too buffed, then it will take forever to get his items

No they aren't. Junk is something you catch instead of fish. The quest items are fish that you catch along with normal fish.

I've caught a few of those turn-in fishies by accident and refuse to actually grind for them. Maybe later, way way later after all the other reps are done. Too busy right now!!

Yeah, that's what I'm doing.
If you work Anglers, Tillers and Cloud Serpents together, they all require fishing at some point. So at least there is that chance, and the Spinefish will make a Alchemist happy, as well as a caster who needs reef octopus*. Lots of good reasons to fish randomly. Especially for Tillers rep food.

*Me at one point
This may seem counter-intuitive, but you don't want to buff up your fishing skill when going for Pagle's items. They are actually JUNK, and if you're not catching junk because you are too buffed, then it will take forever to get his items. Also don't fish nodes, like fishing Reef Octopus nodes when looking for Mimic Octopus, that never works. (If you think it did work once, it was prolly because bobber was just out of the node's circle.) And at the risk of stating the obvious, once you reach 600 skill, it is better not to fish Krasarang Wilds for Mimic Octopus. Go to the northshore of Kun-Lai summit; the drop rate of junk seems higher there.

I believe it's true that you can't catch them from pools, it is definitely not true that they are classified as junk. They're caught alongside actual fish as a second item. I've never seen one caught individually or paired with junk (around 50 catches now)
While it is true that unlike other junk, these items only drop in conjunction with normal loot, it seems empirically evident that if your fishing skill plus buffs is so high that in a given area you seldom fish up grayed trash loot, you will also seldom fish up one of Pagle's items. For instance, if you fish the Krasarang Wilds at 600 skill with a +25 rod and a +75 lure you will almost never get grayed junk OR a Pagle item. Hence I call his items junk.

I would like to hear from players who have fished the Wilds for the Mimic Octopus at skill 600 both with and without added buffs. Good luck. Z

(Post Script -- 11/5/12 -- I have reason to believe this hypothesis no longer applies. So, nevermind.)
I agree with some new items from Nat Pagle the awesome hat /cough and the fishing book are kinda dodgy as rewards.

I would have liked to see him sell the charm/trinket to have a chance to catch multiple fish from one cast that the completely camped NPC panda ghost gives out.

Or even some other fishing goods like a rowboat water mount to fish from.

Or a riding shark water mount that allows fast underwater speed. (like the sea turtle)

Maybe an underwater breathing helmet.

Maybe a "chum bucket" that can be thrown into any open water that forms a pool of fish to catch, usable once an hour or so.
Nice on the suggestions and thanks for the tips, I'll have to try some other fishing places. In general I'm pretty much at the point everyone else is, of not wanting to even bother until I have absolutely nothing to do (i.e. all my pokemons are lvl 25).

If I'm going to fish for my 300 stat food, I'm going to fish in a pool with my pandaren fishing charm (to get more fishes) - I can't see any reason to fish in open water for fun or for goods. My tillers rep and cooking are all maxed, my anglers and fishing are all maxed, the only thing I need is Pagle and it's just a hassle to go out of my way to take care of.

Hopefully someone is looking at this and thinking about adding better rewards that are suited for people who do fish, and will hopefully motivate more people to start fishing.

Thanks again for the support, and keep the suggestions coming.