Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - V

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 16 17 18 26 Next
Just a bump.
Hey Kalg and friends!

Just wanted to make sure before I finalize everything here.. but it's looking like this will be the final build. I'll also probably give windows 8 ga shot since I have to buy new OS anyway.

If you were building this for yourself, would you settle with the FX-6300 or bump to an i5 3570k and z77 mobo? My current build has lasted me almost 5 years, so I've decided it might be worth it to just get the i5/z77. However - only PC game I play and will probably ever play is WoW. I just want to make sure that whatever i decide to do.. raid, pvp, sit afk ;) - that I'll be able to do it on ultra settings comfortably haha.

What would you guys do?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qjs8

Excluded the case because i just bought the Fractal Design Arc case.. which is awesome btw!

Thanks so much for your help!
PSA: I will not be available for about 2 days due to air travel

Circuits:

If money allows, i5-3570k + Z77 would be an excellent choice. However, FX-6300 can do what you need just the same. i5-3570k WILL offer bit more FPS in cities and raids, but FX-6300 will still offer very good FPS.

Consider taking advantage of Windows 8 upgrade offer.
Hi I ordered all my parts except for my motherboard as it is out of stock at the moment,but I would like to know if the Gigabyte GA-990 FXA UD7 is a big gap in perfomance from the Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD3 motherboard
PSA: I will not be available for about 2 days due to air travel

Circuits:

If money allows, i5-3570k + Z77 would be an excellent choice. However, FX-6300 can do what you need just the same. i5-3570k WILL offer bit more FPS in cities and raids, but FX-6300 will still offer very good FPS.

Consider taking advantage of Windows 8 upgrade offer.

Thank you Kalg. I don't think I can take advantage of the upgrade as I'm still using Vista 32bit. I will probably go with windows 8 though.. MAYBE :p

So this would be the new i5 build in mind. What do you think?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rhGC

Thanks again!
I believe the upgrade package is still available to you, it's just the install will have to be a full reset.
Oh cool I didn't know that! Would I have to stay with 32bit or could I change to 64bit, do you know?

Thanks!
If you switch from 32-bit to 64-bit, that's when you would have to do a full-reset.

Sorry for being unclear.
The Windows 8 upgrade offer is a pretty sweet deal. I think it's $40 still, and I highly recommend getting it, especially at that price. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade for $40 with older OS's...newer computers could upgrade for $15. Either way, Windows 8 is worth it imho--Windows at $140 is of course overpriced but Windows is always overpriced regardless of the version. Honestly, if Windows 7 & Windows 8 are the same price I'd still say go with Windows 8. I'm quite impressed with it.

I upgraded straight from Windows 7 to Windows 8 with nary an issue. I didn't even need to do a fresh install. QUITE surprised by that, but then again Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with the touchscreen stuff added on. If you have Windows Vista, I'd definitely still do a fresh install tho, regardless if you're sticking with a 32-bit OS or going with 64-bit. I just don't trust Vista one little bit in that regard (Vista hater here). (Tip: If you do a fresh install after downloading the Win 8 upgrade--and burning to a DVD or USB drive--I read you still will want to run the Win 8 upgrade tool within Win 8 itself for the activation to work. I could be wrong about that, but don't be discouraged if Activation fails during install. Just run the upgrade thing again & you'll be ok.)

Do not fear the Windows 8, for it is quite a good OS, and the start menu button issue really isn't an issue at all. It takes all of about 3 minutes to get used to it, and once you do you will probably really dig the Metro UI thing, tho it will still be secondary to your desktop in terms of accessing much-used programs. And boy howdy it runs noticably faster than Windows 7. Idling I was using about 22% resources with Windows 7, and about 18% with Windows 8. And it boots up really fast too (even without a SSD, you'll probably boot up in like 30ish seconds!)

(And Xbox Smartglass is super cool imho.)
Circuits:

The motherboard does not have proper SLi / CrossFireX speed support, but if you aren't planning to do that ever, then sure. But then again, if you aren't, you can find cheaper motherboards that will fit the bill just fine.

As Lyrenna mentioned, 32-bit to 64-bit direct upgrade is not possible, and will need to be a fresh install.

You want 64-bit anyway, in order to make use of 8GB RAM.
A new update:

Some of AMD's vendor partners are releasing a new graphics card code named Tahiti LE -- which is confusingly named Radeon HD 7870 (may have LE moniker). Despite the naming, it has no relation to Pitcairn based HD 7870, and is actually derived from its bigger brother, Tahiti cores (used by HD 7950 / HD 7970).

Currently, only PowerColor (in the states) will be releasing one.

In terms of price / power, the price is approximately $270 (in Euro) -- which is about $30 cheaper than an HD 7950 but about $40 more than an HD 7870.

Performance-wise, the HD 7870 LE is about 8% faster than an HD 7870, and 3% slower than an HD 7950. Being a Tahiti-derived core, it does OC well, and will reach just behind an HD 7970 stock with its performance.

Disabled shaders cannot be unlocked, sadly. AMD used a different method so it doesn't work.

The card can CrossFireX with an HD 7950/7970, but not with 7800 series.
Is it wise to wait for Christmas/New Years to order parts? Are there usually deals that can be had for good prices?
Yes / Maybe.

Black Friday / Cyber Monday had some bad !@# deals; I'd assume the same with Christmas / New Years sale.

However, I cannot guarantee that they will actually put good stuff for sale. Usually, you don't see good ones on sale.
Circuits:

The motherboard does not have proper SLi / CrossFireX speed support, but if you aren't planning to do that ever, then sure. But then again, if you aren't, you can find cheaper motherboards that will fit the bill just fine.

As Lyrenna mentioned, 32-bit to 64-bit direct upgrade is not possible, and will need to be a fresh install.

You want 64-bit anyway, in order to make use of 8GB RAM.

I don't plan on CrossFire/SLI but I didn't realize it didn't offer the support. The price isn't worth it imo without the option of SLI/Xfire so I will go with something else like ASRock :) - ty for pointing that out.

To fresh install, what do I need? My windows vista CD key?

Thanks so much for your help guys!
You would need the CD
12/07/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Rerdivine
You would need the CD

And with the CD I can choose to change from 32 to 64 bit? Sorry I don't know much about this.

Thanks for the quick response!
To fresh install, you don't need to do anything. Just back up the things you need from your OS drive to somewhere else, put in Windows 8 64-bit DVD, do Custom (Advanced) install, wipe the OS drive (delete partition / quick format), make a new partition (if you did delete partition), and install.
Hey Kalganized, I'm a big fan of what you do. Been reading through all your threads picking up knowledge! All I know about computers (not much) I learned from your posts. Here goes.

I'm fixing on getting a laptop (sick of cords and transport.) I only play WoW really and would like to really max out the settings on it, AA and shadows excepted. I also plan to use it for photo and video editing. How's this build from xotic?

Sager NP6370
- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" (1920x1080)

- 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3630QM

- nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 w/ Optimus Technology

- FREE - 16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)

- FREE - 1,000GB [1TB] 5400RPM [Serial-ATA II 3GB/s]

- Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD (bought on black friday)

From what I've read on here that should get me to ultra, but I wanna make sure before I hit the button. Any advice? I know you've said 16GB of RAM would be overkill, but it's a free upgrade and I assume it would come in handy if I'm using multiple programs and stuff. Any pitfalls with this build? I read that Sandisk has some weird firmware issues or something.

I'm painfully new at all this. Thanks in advance for any help you offer! You're a true patriot.
I would consider MSI barebone based builds and get GTX 675M at least, this would allow ultra with good smooth FPS.

Sandisk is OK. Firmware needs to be updated if available before usage.
I like the MSI builds but don't they usually have really strict warranties against upgrades and such?