Comprehensive Gaming PC Guide Discussion - V

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Post Limit:
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
I'm looking at building a computer here soon I was wondering what your opinions are on this setup, and how well do you think it will run WOW an SC2? I run at 1360x768 resolution due to playing on a 22" Samsung HDTV. I will also be getting Windows 7 64-bit with this build. Thanks for your guide and for your help.

AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6GHz Quad-Core Socket
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX AMD Motherboard
HIS H777F1G2M iCooler Radeon HD 7770 1024MB GDDR5
Cooler Master HAF912 Mid Tower ATX Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" In
OCZ Technology ModXStream Pro 600W Modular ATX Power Supply
24x SATA Internal Desktop DVD Burner GH24NS72 - Bare Drive
Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9130-gaming-laptop-clevo-p151em1-p-4340.html do u think it will run on everything ultra? ( its the same one i linked before)
Luzac:

AMD FX-4100 is based on older Bulldozer tech (Zambezi). They are terrible and must be avoided at all costs. You need to ensure it's Vishera, which have naming scheme of x3xx, IE) FX-6300.

I recommend DDR3-1600.

Otherwise, it looks good. Note HAF 912 doesn't have front USB 3.0 port, while most motherboards nowadays have internal USB 3.0 connector. Try to get a case with front USB 3.0 ports.

Rhorlo:

Yes. GTX 670M will run WoW @ ultra settings (although not butter smooth in very intensive areas).

I'd consider getting this though, if you can spare a little more budget:

http://www.xoticpc.com/forcemsi-16f3-36025-675m-msi-gt60-barebones-p-4883.html?wconfigure=yes
840 Pro is very expensive though.

Alternatively, consider Plextor M5 Pro, which is also blazing fast like 840 Pro.

Does the performance difference warrant the $50 price difference?
Lets see if this looks a bit better, I was choosing the FX-4100 due to it being 89.99 at Microcenter but I priced up the FX-6300 this time. Also put in DDR3 1600 RAM. Also will the motherboard listed work with the new Vishera CPU? Its listed AM3+ an so is the Vishera but just wanted to make sure. How important is the front USB 3.0 ports, is it just preference or should it be recommended because of the quicker speeds with the USB ports. Not sure if you have had any experience with Microcenter but would you recommend their 2 Year Replacement Plan - Carry In for my parts or just use the manufacturer warranty?

Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
AMD FX 6300 Black Edition 3.5GHz Six-Core Socket AM3+ Boxed Processor
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX AMD Motherboard
Manik:

Well, that depends on how much you value performance over cost.

Luzac:

Check individual motherboard webpage for information. That particular Gigabyte motherboard does support it.

Preference; there are rear USB 3.0 ports too. But why not use what the motherboard provides, yeah? :D

Don't bother with those additional warranty thing; manufacturer warranty is enough.

Can you recycle your old hard drive / DVD drive?
Currently running on an old Dell laptop, so unfortunately I do not have an old hard drive/DVD drive to use. But thank you for your help, I will look for a USB 3.0 port case now and save myself some money by taking away those warranties from Microcenter.
I don't mind spending the extra 50 is the performance difference is large enough. Is easy to say that the 840 Pro performs x % better than the other SSDs or are there other factors that make it not so easy?
Luzac:

I'd consider buying Windows 8 64-bit upgrade pack for $40 instead of full Windows 7 64-bit for $100 ($60 in savings!), which is possible if you are willing to do some extra work.

Manik:

The 840 Pro does outperform everything by quite a bit. See this review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6328/samsung-ssd-840-pro-256gb-review
Hey, i have a few questions again :P.
This is what i have setup so far

Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500

ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

And for the OS, do i need to buy Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM or Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Thanks!!
What do you think about the company of sager in general? as in customer support and all those other things
Rhorlo:

Sager is decent, been around as a company for a long time.

Ahtoonlolz:

Looks good.

OEM.

You can buy Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $40 if you recycle old hard drive, or has a way to copy the old drive content to the new drive (then do a fresh install by booting with Win 8 disc)
When you buy a laptop isn't it good to get an additional warranty? Don't the manufacturer's warranties only last for 1 year and after that it may cost you $100 just to get it looked at?
oh I misread, thought luzac was getting a laptop
hey kal

ive recently decided to switch from the build #2 to the trinity build mostly because my budget got tighter aswell as im not after anything high due to my last machine giving my about 10 fps on low settings during normal conditions, so im pretty much fine with the trinity and playing on fair good or high, also it recently broke down so now ive got nothing.

im just unsure on what graphics card to use aswell as the os, still thinking on choosing windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

thanks for reading
The Trinity build does not require a graphics card -- it relies on built-in, integrated APU graphics. If you are going to get a dedicated graphics card more powerful than HD 6670, you may be better off with a different build depending on how much more you are willing to spend on the PC -later-.

As for the OS, if you have XP, Vista, or 7 on your hard disk -- and you are fine with recycling your hard drive, you can buy Windows 8 Pro 64-bit upgrade for $40.
ok thanks cant wait to order this and build it :) thanks for answering my questions!
Kal, I've read your guide and I'll most likely build my own computer, but I ended up coming across this computer and it looks pretty decent. However, i was just wondering what you personally think about it. Only issues I see are that it is a 3570k and does not state if it has a water cooling system for OCing, does not signify if the RAM is DDR3 1600, and it does not state what the PSU is.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iBuyPower+-+Desktop+-+8GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/6979796.p?id=1218818465502&skuId=6979796
ah one more question without the dedicated graphics card would installing the drivers be any different than with one?
Team:

You still got to install AMD Catalyst graphics drivers (12.11 beta is latest).

Arrowsnipe:

Those pre-configured pre-builts sold by retailers often have mismatched / poor quality stuff. 100% of the time, they:

Mismatch CPU + motherboard. Namely, they have unlocked Intel CPUs but they only give you H77 motherboard, which cannot overclock the CPU

Stock CPU cooler

Extremely poor power supply

So don't bother.