Beneficial priest professions?

Priest
Post Limit:
Well.. I'm somewhat new to the priest class and I was wondering what were the best professions for this class? I know jewelcrafting and enchanting is popular, but I can't grasp the concept of not having mining for jewelcrating, or how that situation would work. I was considering herbalism and inscription but honestly it doesn't really appeal to me.

Help me, pwease?
I have tailoring and inscription on mine. The nice shoulder enchants and the fact we can make our own staff(staves) in inscription is super nice. For tailoring, we can make our own leg enchants and cloak enchants. Once high enough rep for golden lotus. Can make your first purple items. Which is probably a good place to start till you get more valor points kind of a deal.
I like tailor/chant, due to it being really simple to level/it being 2 professions that give crafting bonuses.
Anything that's not a gathering profession (herbalism, mining, skinning) should be relatively equal within a few points.

If your issue is trying to match gathering and crafting, then look to tailoring and enchanting as neither has a requisite but raiding-inappropriate gathering profession, they also both provide crafted items useful to you as a priest.
I'd definitely favor enchanting for one.

Beyond that, I'm not sure you could go wrong with tailoring, jewelcrafting, or inscription. I hear inscription is very high-profit right now, if you're after gold. Or some gathering prof to really earn.

Gold seems more abundant and less useful in MoP than it was in Cata, so that might not be quite the factor it used to, especially as there's no major new gold sink (training costs are the same or removed, and things like reputation and soulbound motes are more important than money).
I really like Engineering for the nitro boost / belt bombs, the glider and the synergy synapse (on-use proc), which are all very useful in Challenge Mode (and Raids, to a lesser extent). Grabbing any 2nd profession that isn't a gathering one feels right.

@Dliver: The Black Market can act as a major gold sink.
Thank you everyone for your input!! I'm considering Enchanting/Tailoring after reading every ones comments. I know for sure I want Enchanting, though I am iffy about Tailoring because personally I'd like a permanent buff vs. the cloak enchant from Tailoring.

Quick question, If I were to go enchant/tailoring, would I still be able to enchant my cloak while the embroidery is attached?
I never chose my professions based on utility but I guess I got lucky and it worked out pretty well, I have Inscription/Enchanting. The epic off-hand and shoulder enchants are really useful.
No you cant enchant a cloak while embroidery is on it.
Thank you everyone for your input!! I'm considering Enchanting/Tailoring after reading every ones comments. I know for sure I want Enchanting, though I am iffy about Tailoring because personally I'd like a permanent buff vs. the cloak enchant from Tailoring.

Quick question, If I were to go enchant/tailoring, would I still be able to enchant my cloak while the embroidery is attached?

No, but the buff is balanced with that in mind though, tailoring tends to average out to be the best option by at least a few points.
I see.. What is your opinion on Jewelcrafting/Enchant? I was invited to this realm by a friend, and this is my only character on this realm (he wants to turn this guild into something) and I'm noticing there aren't any JC's in the guild yet. I've also been told to go JC/Enchant by a few people in-game, but I've also been told JC is quite expensive and it actually isn't good at giving back that gold either.
10/21/2012 06:33 PMPosted by Aeira
I see.. What is your opinion on Jewelcrafting/Enchant? I was invited to this realm by a friend, and this is my only character on this realm (he wants to turn this guild into something) and I'm noticing there aren't any JC's in the guild yet. I've also been told to go JC/Enchant by a few people in-game, but I've also been told JC is quite expensive and it actually isn't good at giving back that gold either.

Not sure about giving the gold back, but JC is expensive. If you are as concerned about gathering proffs as you seem to be I wouldn't recommend it. Inscription should be the absolute cheapest non-gathering proff to level from 0 if you'd rather go that route.
Not sure about giving the gold back, but JC is expensive. If you are as concerned about gathering proffs as you seem to be I wouldn't recommend it. Inscription should be the absolute cheapest non-gathering proff to level from 0 if you'd rather go that route.

I understand
Thank you so much, you've been very helpful!
i think alchemy is cheaper to level. Also, 2 hour flasks are win.
10/21/2012 07:34 PMPosted by Vordea
i think alchemy is cheaper to level. Also, 2 hour flasks are win.

Nope, unless they changed something while I wasn't looking you still need mats from every individual expansion, and without herbalism that means buying whatever is available on the auction house for whatever ludicrous price they are asking. For inscription you can literally just take the highest level inks all the way up via the trade in if the lower herbs are unavailable or more expensive. That's thanks to the ink trade vendor.
Tailoring/Enchanting.

Easy to level... profitable... ring enchants... cloak embroideries...
Well I finally decided to go Ench/Tailoring for the simple fact that I have a lot of cloth already saved up/in the g-bank (to my disposal) and maybe sometime in the future if I dislike it enough, I could always pick up something else. Thank you for everyones input and suggestions!
10/21/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Loratabb
Tailoring is almost mandatory for the 3k spirit proc if you plan to heal.

The only real benefit is that Darkglow allows you to put Spirit on your cloak while normally you'd be stuck with Intellect. But it's not a particularly good place to get the Spirit you need since the Tailoring procs return less than other professions over time (due to proc not precisely matching the ICD), so you'd want to be using other forms of Spirit long before you got the cloak enchant.

Also, once you've geared up enough to get past the early-in-expansion mana difficulties, you'll probably find that the Tailoring proc just isn't very good compared to a steady bonus.

The tailored gear is also BoE, so you can simply buy it off the AH.

Tailor alch will work out well too
A) more mana from mana pots access to better mana pots
B) more stats from flasks
C) Alch is a money maker especially flask spec on my server

The stats from flasks match the benefits of other professions. The mana return from potions comes from the Alchemist stone and the additional mp5 is 'baked into' the costing for the Stone, so it isn't really a bonus - you could easily match its benefits by simply using different, equivalent-level trinkets.

Alchemy also isn't all that great for making money. The profit on crafted gear comes almost exclusively from the non-tradeable components that go into making an item (such as Flasks). For crafted items where all the components can be bought from the AH, normally the cost of an item is less than the component cost on the AH (since the components are more useful than the finished item).

So the value of your crafted items is largely dependent on your daily cooldowns and Spirit of Harmony needs. People pay a surplus for items including these features because they're in limited supply and can't just be bought off the AH to be handed to one of the ka-jillion people who have that crafting skill at 600.

However, Alchemy will save you a good deal of money in terms of raid consumables since your Flasks last longer and you have cheaper potions than the hoi polloi.

For other professions, Blacksmithing is the general "power-gamer" choice. It's expensive to level and provides essentially no item benefits to a cloth-wearer, so you're only taking it for the extra slots. However, those extra slots are about the most versatile profession bonus there is since you can slot anything into them. You don't need to worry about outgrowing your Spirit needs since you can simply slot Spirit when you want it and Intellect when you want it. You can also slot PvP gems (no other profession gives a PvP bonus).

Blacksmithing is also 'future proof' in that it scales with the value of gems, so epic gems give it an edge over other professions.

Engineering is also a bit of a special case. It provides 6 times the bonus with 1/6th the uptime. Since you can control when this occurs, it means you can choose to get a massive bonus when you're doing your most intensive healing/damage and then no bonus when you're just plodding along. It also provides a larger bonus than average-over-uptime strictly dictates since you can blow it at the start of a fight (in a 6 minute fight, you can use your proc 7 times for an uptime of 19.4% - or the equivalent of +373 stats vs. +320 stats).

Note also that you're going to want at least one member of your raiding team to have engineering for Jeeves.

I do like Inscription for the staff, but it's worth noting that - like almost all of the profession-specific gear - it won't last past the first tier of raiding.

Enchanting is a fairly basic profession in that it offers standard bonuses. However, like Engineering, it's a mandatory-one-per-raiding-team profession since you need someone to disenchant drops.

I find Jewelcrafting rather uninspiring this expansion, but it isn't any worse than other professions in terms of bonuses.

Leatherworking is another one of those professions where you can't craft anything worthwhile. However, it inexplicably gives +330 to a stat (over enchant) on wrists. So you get +10 more Intellect than you would with other professions.
Blacksmithing+tailoring. 2 extra gem slots could be pretty big, as well as very good cloak enchants. And being able to make spellthread you need at a fraction of the ah rates. Like 2k each on my server. Or do dailies for golden lotus. Fly down to silken fields. make 200 gold in profit. A lot more if you sell one.

Plus when mana is set, you could have multiple procs. Like a trinket intel proc, cloak intel proc, and weapon proc. All those up and your in the money. And 2k spirit or intel going off for what you always are doing, seems pretty nice to me.