Spirit / Mote of Harmony.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 12 Next
[quote="70032256454"][quote]
Ok and show me one post in here that mentions crafting with them and doesn't mention making money from it.

If you want one, you've got one. I don't give a damn about gold, I've got plenty for my purposes from Cata. I have dual crafting professions of Tailoring/Enchanting, as it is right now the only use I have for SoHs is to trade for Golden Lotus to my Alchemist to make myself flasks.

What I want is a reason to use them for my crafting professions and as it stands right now the only pattern I have that even uses SoHs (imperial Silk Cooldown Shortcut) isn't worth it because a) I have plenty of Imperial Silk laying around, b) it's more useful trading SoH's for Golden Lotus which I send to my Alchemist for making flasks for personal use.

If they wanted to make SoHs BoP to support crafting that's fine, but they should at least make it so that they're useful for all crafting professions. Right now Blacksmithing, and Leatherworking and to an lesser extent Inscription need SoH's for their crafting while Tailoring, Enchanting, Alchemy, Jewelcrafting have limited to no use for them.

I don't mind if they're BoP to help support crafting, but if that's what they're going to do then give me an actual use for my crafting profession, trading them for mats to send to an alt is not using them for my crafting. I don't want to see them BoE ever, BoA would be fine at least that way my Scribe could get some use out of the 43 of them I have sitting in my bags right now.
You have to love the disingenuous statements by Blizzard with more spin than anything I heard last night watching the election coverage.

They are soulbound for one reason only, to throttle the influx of high end crafted items into the game while they are highly relevant and thus extend the life of the current content.

Blizzard knows there are plenty of Harmony being gathered or grown that have little value as they cannot be used for anything other than the purchase of some small amount of trade materials.

They also know if Harmony were a non soulbound item, there would be a mass influx of high end crafted items such that many players would be over gearing content right at the start with many completing it faster than expected along with the associated complaining that it was too easy.

I think a better alternative to this soulbound Harmony mess would be to simply put a cooldown on the creation of high end crafted items. Players could still trade mats between each other and alts, and Blizzard could still throttle the influx speed of crafted items.
11/06/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Arkthan
Making them BoP is a good way of showing others that, you as a crafter, have made an awesome item for yourself

Thank you for responding to this post. It is nice to see a blue reply to threads. Now comes the arguement. We havent had an item that impresses people with our crafting since specializations in BC. Bring back one nice item that is BOP, hard to make, reasonably stated, with no game changing proc, and upgradeable. Then we can impress people with our professions. barring that, at least let us learn the old smithing and LW plans again. Sad that tailors got to keep their plans plus they became BOE while we lost ours.

I agree very much . . . nice to see a blue post -- too much lurking, not enough feedback/involvement. I know they open themselves up to criticism by posting but at least it communicates to the player base they really do read the forums and care about whatever issue/complaint or new idea compliments are being made. Yes, I know they say they treasure player feedback and read the forums but with such a low profile forums have the appearance of just being a rant-fest among players.

And I agree even more with the main point . . . raising the barriers to craft is fine as long as the reward at the end is better by the same proportion. The devs could do better by giving the item a more inspiring unique skin and/or ability for a crafted item that can be useable and improved on each new expansion would help elevate the prestige of the profession. Making crafted epics BoA is a step in the right direction but I think even more could be done to make crafting professions truely valuable and rewarding.
Meh, when I get around 20 Spirit of Harmony's I buy a bunch of Golden Lotus and I turn them into various Flasks making around 10k.
11/07/2012 03:36 AMPosted by Griselbrand
Making them BoP is a good way of showing others that, you as a crafter, have made an awesome item for yourself. If you plan on selling the crafted item, it allows you to raise the value and demand even more of a profit.

Now that is what I have a beef with it's not that they are BoP is that the item you make from them is LFR quality... I think the Ilvl should be higher making it way more attractive to the noncrafters to buy

Yes, exactly.
I have some characters who have no use for harmony.
I use their harmony to buy stuff off the vendor for my alts who do craft (usually Golden Lotus, of which my alchemist can never have enough, although I foresee a time when trillium might also be useful and desirable).

It can be a little frustrating when an alt I don't play needs harmony to make something for an alt I DO play... and I have to "waste" time playing the crafter to get the harmony...

But on the other hand, I have spent so many hours farming mats among my alts for one thing or another... it seems kind of silly for me to complain now, when this has always been the nature of professions.

At least in MoP, I can just grow the harmony if I really don't want to play that alt - or I can do quests without subjecting anyone else to the badness that is my undeveloped crafter alt and still have a chance to gather the harmony I need - unlike in Cataclysm, where I actually had to get the crafter alt up to heroic dungeon standards to have a 1 in 5 chance at an orb. (Not that those standards were unreachable, but they represented a lot of time and effort invested in an alt I had never really intended to do group content with, which made it annoying and frustrating.)

In comparison, this really isn't so bad.
Yeah trading them for items is good i guess but for me i dont need money and mainly like the idea of using them for pretty purple items haha.

be good to have the choice thats all.

When selecting two gathering professions, there is going to be some understanding that you won't be making gold from crafting, at least not on that character. Making them BoP is a good way of showing others that, you as a crafter, have made an awesome item for yourself. If you plan on selling the crafted item, it allows you to raise the value and demand even more of a profit.

As others have mentioned though, there is always a chance they'll become BoA or BoE in the future but no promises. :P

is this a joke??? the crap we craft is replace as we level... who wants to spend gold on items that will be worthless in a level or two... what a terrible idea...
This is the expansion of cry babies. jesus.

first it's "I don't want to be forced to do dailies, even though not doing them does nothing to hinder my progression, sure it makes it easier if I do them"
now it's "waaaaa, spirits are BoP, they should be BoE/BoA because I'm lazy"

now this is all blizzards fault, they gave you everything in cata and now like spoiled children, you are crying about it when they take it away.
11/07/2012 08:40 AMPosted by Salloreon
now it's "waaaaa, spirits are BoP, they should be BoE/BoA because I'm lazy"

I have two crafting professions and my current best use of them is to be lazy and trade them for golden lotus to send them to my Alchemist to make myself flasks. What I want is a reason to actually use them for my professions.
Im glad that when blizzard puts something that you must work hard for into the game, people complain.
QQ Guys,
keep spirits the way they are.

Just like with mindless dailies, endless grinding isn't "working hard".
11/07/2012 01:41 AMPosted by Eliarana
Just running around killing mobs for regular quests yesterday, I got enough motes to make 5 SoH on my Warrior, he's 87. I can only imagine that you have no luck, because this has been my luck on ALL toons I have leveled so far. I usually have 10+ by the time I hit 90. I got 70+ motes just from doing My GL/Klaxxi dailies.

Please, that is complete bull!@#$. I had 3 total by the time my death knight hit 90, and I did the majority of quests in EVERY zone. This has been the same experience for EVERY person in my guild. Not one single raider had an overabundance of spirits available by the time they hit 90.

Same goes for every person on my friends list.

As for the GL/Klaxxi comment, yeah right. I may end up with 10 or so after completing both factions, but 70? Stop being facetious.
Yeah trading them for items is good i guess but for me i dont need money and mainly like the idea of using them for pretty purple items haha.

When selecting two gathering professions, there is going to be some understanding that you won't be making gold from crafting, at least not on that character. Making them BoP is a good way of showing others that, you as a crafter, have made an awesome item for yourself. If you plan on selling the crafted item, it allows you to raise the value and demand even more of a profit.

As others have mentioned though, there is always a chance they'll become BoA or BoE in the future but no promises. :P

Question: is Enchanting considered a Crafting profession or a Gathering profession?

I was disappointed to find out that there is nothing special to use Spirits of Harmony on in the Enchanting profession. I have more mats than I know what to do with, so spending them on crafting mats is rather disappointing.
11/06/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Brennvin

I just wanted to mention a compromise that I think could work -- have the spirit of harmony vendor sell an item that's either BoA or BoE and which contains three motes of harmony (or however many you think are appropriate -- the point is for this transaction to be "lossy").

That way, it's always best to earn them on the character that will actually use them, encouraging people to go out into the world, but there's at least some way to funnel them from an alt that doesn't need any more to an alt that needs a bunch (at a loss).

As a crafter I have to say that Wrath had it right. Being able to sell our special high level cloth on the AH led to me making more money from crafting because I had a steady income from selling the materials and people who wanted things crafted would buy the materials needed and ask in trade for the item to be crafted for them.

Since cataclysm Tailoring has been a 'in the red' profession for me because I have nothing to sell on a regular basis as the crafting orbs and now Spirits of Harmony can not be traded (for most of the expansion) and neither can the Dreamcloth and now the Imperial Silk, so if I am to make anything it would cost a lot of resources on my end, and I have to risk the chance of not earning anything from the item in the end if it doesn't sell.

Ultimately it's about choice, by making materials BoP you limit choice to only selling big items at a high risk with (possibly) high reward to the crafter, whereas before you could also participate in the lower risk but regular income from trading in specialty materials. This also means that alt crafters have more use because while they may not get access to the latest and greatest patterns (because they're not main raiders) they can still earn their keep by producing special crafting materials to sell on the AH.
No no please PLEASE leave things as they are now, while I can still make a fortune off the AH.
11/07/2012 03:56 AMPosted by Eliarana

Mkay;

I realise you think I'm functionally illiterate, but when people refer to the worth of an item in relation to what they can be sold for due to "flooding the market" that typically says "They're talking about gold" to me.

Ok and show me one post in here that mentions crafting with them and doesn't mention making money from it.

*raises hand* I'd love to be able to make Sapphire Cubs and Jade Owls for my RL friends. I don't want to make them to sell. I want to do something nice for people I care about, and I can't because motes are BoP.

Thats not true at all.

Tailoring is a gathering profession and so is Engineering. Both are very profitable from crafting.
Making them BoP is a good way of showing others that, you as a crafter, have made an awesome item for yourself. If you plan on selling the crafted item, it allows you to raise the value and demand even more of a profit.

Not really becuase most of the time the mats cost way to much and to be in the same market as the rest of the people you have to sell it for nothing. Unless you got a toon with every proff. its kinda tough to make good money from the purples you can make.