Blizzard: Just admit botting is a problem...

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 Next
11/11/2012 03:46 PMPosted by Usheneon

Bot programs or /afk bot scripts are a problem, and we know it's gotten worse in Battlegrounds with the release of Mists. We're working with CS and the development team on this. It's unacceptable. We know it. You know it.

If you know it's a problem, start banning those who bot permanently.

Uh, they do. But most of those botters aren't using their original accounts to do it.

Besides, what takes the time is not finding out who is botting. It's finding out how they are botting and fixing it.

It's like an arms race. Blizzard figures out a way to tag the bots, fixes it and bans the bots. Then the guys making the bots figure out a different way to do it, and the cycle starts over again.
Fix.
So if they are looking into the issue how are company's like this still around, which they state as their product does:

"In games, bots are programs that perform tedious, cyclical tasks automatically, while the bot owner is not able to execute these tasks because is not physically present or busy doing something much more enjoyable. Bots automate the tasks of grinding levels, farm skills, gold and honor points."

And in thier forums they do state:
"For one i would like to WARN, all players/Consumers/Users of any type of bot or cheat, that just by doing so you break the ToS/EULA provided by World of Warcraft / Activision Blizzard, So use at your own risk, HOWEVER we do supply our own Warden which we truly believe is full proof, An explanation can be found below by the Founder & administrator: Sundark"

http://thenoobbot.com/

So they are not just breaking the terms of service but they are making money off this, hell its even a registered company. It took me 30 seconds to find this in a google search for gods sake..
Stopping the bots ingame is a short term soloution shutting down the people that create and sell said bots like this site (as I am sure its not the only one) would be better.
Slap them with the Lawyer Bat! Make an example of one so the others wonder if its worth it to do it again.

But hey its just my humble opinion that I am tossing out there, take from it what you will.

Bot programs or /afk bot scripts are a problem, and we know it's gotten worse in Battlegrounds with the release of Mists. We're working with CS and the development team on this. It's unacceptable. We know it. You know it.

Would like to see stricter deserter penalties. 3 kicks in 1 day = no more bgs for the rest of the day

GG then. i get kicked frequently by !@#$%^-s that get mad about losing, look at their map and report people at the spirit reser for being afk. i cant get to a new target fast enough to keep form being kicked. i had to wait 30 minutes to an hour to rejoin a bg, i'd probbly quit and go play something else. i've been here through thick and thin.. but if it gets too thick i probbly wont be around.

So if they are looking into the issue how are company's like this still around, which they state as their product does:

"In games, bots are programs that perform tedious, cyclical tasks automatically, while the bot owner is not able to execute these tasks because is not physically present or busy doing something much more enjoyable. Bots automate the tasks of grinding levels, farm skills, gold and honor points."

And in thier forums they do state:
"For one i would like to WARN, all players/Consumers/Users of any type of bot or cheat, that just by doing so you break the ToS/EULA provided by World of Warcraft / Activision Blizzard, So use at your own risk, HOWEVER we do supply our own Warden which we truly believe is full proof, An explanation can be found below by the Founder & administrator: Sundark"

http://thenoobbot.com/

So they are not just breaking the terms of service but they are making money off this, hell its even a registered company. It took me 30 seconds to find this in a google search for gods sake..
Stopping the bots ingame is a short term soloution shutting down the people that create and sell said bots like this site (as I am sure its not the only one) would be better.
Slap them with the Lawyer Bat! Make an example of one so the others wonder if its worth it to do it again.

But hey its just my humble opinion that I am tossing out there, take from it what you will.
it may nto be as simple as that. it took blizz a long time to prosecute wowscapes owner. only reason that ended so fast was because she thought it would go away since the community fell to shambles, and she stopped fighting in court. next thing you kno, she goes to jail for like 5 years and fined 87 million for 3 million she made in profits off her "service" Lol. the ideal thing to do is, to get hold of one major player that deals in what they are tyring to shut down. and they have to hit them hard legally where it hurts, and then other companies doing it will have to shut down. problem with them going after private servers the only thing they hit was the software used, and many other communities were reverse engineering something new every year, so its hard to keep the legal process up to date. one method might be outlawed by law, but the other methods were safe/gray area's.... however, targeting boting software aught to be an easier target, as the purpose of a bot is clearly and completely against TOS/EULA.

i would assume the best thing to do if they cant find the creaters, is to use legal resources to shut down every hosting site they can directly, untill they can pin point the originators of the software.

regardless, its not an overnight problem that can be fixed. it can take alot of time. can take years even. the good news is, you can still outplay a bot or fight them without knowing they arent human, and people that get caught are permanently banned.
being removed from a bg 3 times in a day isnt exctly fair - as people get reported afk while dead or defending a base and removed from bg's for playing correctly...
If they just got the ip address wich i know they have all they would have to do is lock it out of there system it cannot be that hard, ive been serching for them on my realm cause are ah is really bad on prices an i mean bad, im want to find them an report report report.
11/09/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Cyprux

Would like to see stricter deserter penalties. 3 kicks in 1 day = no more bgs for the rest of the day

Yeah, 'cuz that can't be exploited. At all. Anyone NOT in full-PvP gear gets kicked every time they're in in favor of the "Hardcore" PvP'er who's just basically ground their way into their gear? Nah, that's not possible.

Wait...
How hard is it to add a captcha at the start of a bg, every single bg. I would rather have to type some word into a box at the start of the bg than deal with the mess that is a bg with 1/2-3/4 of either team being bots.
Just want to add a "yes please" to doing something. How about a multipronged approach?

- Botting is a bannable offense. If you caught someone botting nodes you'd ban their account, right? Why not the same for BGs? At least a ramped up policy to people figure it isn't worth exploiting for a bit of free honor and xp you could get by playing.

- Auto-afk detection. So without a bot someone can join and just sit there. That's basically silly. The game should be able to detect someone just sitting around in a bg providing zero input. You should get a counter the moment you're not doing something, even if that's turning and looking around.

Combine strict anti-bot response with auto-afks so people who don't bot but don't play don't get rewarded, and bgs might be playable. It's really exceptionally bad in the 85-89 bracket, where it seems like I see some idiot running back and forth in circles doing nothing half the games, to say nothing of AFKers. And, no offense, but the average bg player may not even understand how to identify and remove afkers; even when I see people hanging out in the cave in AV, and name them in /bg a couple times on the ride north, it's less than 50/50 they'll get kicked. I afk them but apparently no one else cares (or understands). Which is fairly crazy with 40 people.
blizzard implimented a warden program to stop bots but hackers and cheaters have found away to make the warden none afective i found this bit of information online about a noobbot

TheNoobBot include an anti-warden tool, a "Stop bot if" tool, that includes : time spent, number of blockage, number of PMs, teleported, full bag, X levels reached.
It can record PMs in their logs.
What I'm most confused about is; are Blizzard able to do anything about the actually sites offering things like bots and/or gold? I know people that use sites like (which later led to a few of my friend's accounts being hacked due to key loggers in the program they DL'd) so if I'm so aware of these sites, and the people that use them, why isn't the company running the game they're abusing?

Its this crazy concept of you know, foreign countries. I know I know. You`re probably American and don`t realize that there is a whole other world out there and they have their own laws and enforcement and shockingly American laws mean diddly squat to them.

Oh and you better delete that web link you put on there. Believe it or not but hackers and botting ALWAYS starts with idiots like you and your friends who go to these sites. If you morons just wouldn`t go there then all these problems will lessen or maybe even dissapear.
NECRO!!!!!!
04/03/2013 11:57 AMPosted by Eutychus

Its this crazy concept of you know, foreign countries. I know I know. You`re probably American and don`t realize that there is a whole other world out there and they have their own laws and enforcement and shockingly American laws mean diddly squat to them.

Oh and you better delete that web link you put on there. Believe it or not but hackers and botting ALWAYS starts with idiots like you and your friends who go to these sites. If you morons just wouldn`t go there then all these problems will lessen or maybe even dissapear.

I cant figure out why people still believe that Blizz is against botting. Is it because they disables following in bg's? It's called lip service and yes it works everyday out in the real world.

As far as i know each bot has a $15 a month subscription fee

$15 is $15 is $15 is $15 is $15 is $15 and all this helps the bottom line.

If unsub tomorrow all it takes is ONE bot to fill the $15 dollar gap.

Bots put food on the table for Blizz employees the same exact way that we rl subcribers do.

Conspiracy theories are only relevant with some sort of proof of ill-intended action (or if you're just trying to hurt their reputation). None of that exists, so it's really not worth thinking of. If you ever personally dealt with a multi-million/billion dollar business, particularly one that caters to millions of consumers, you'd know they have to tread lightly on more variables than anyone here could even think of.

To the dirty orc that brought this topic up though, don't necro without real cause to lol.
Hopefully they'll be a little more diligent than they were with botting in Diablo 2 : (
NECRO!!!!!!

Funny thing is, he isn't the first to necro it. The person right above him necro'd it in February, but got no bites.

Must have been a particularly busy forum day for no one to notice it.
04/03/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Slamabull
NECRO!!!!!!

Funny thing is, he isn't the first to necro it. The person right above him necro'd it in February, but got no bites.

Must have been a particularly busy forum day for no one to notice it.

Necro has odd rulings. This is still an unresolved issue with a blue post in it, very grey area to me when it comes to necros.

Somewhat on topic, why would people think that Blizz is ok with bots? Bots overall cost them money so even if you are incredibly cynical towards Blizz you have to at least admit they would fight them for financial reasons.