No Background Downloader with Patch 5.1

Mac Technical Support
As Patch 5.1 draws near, we want to provide you all with information on how the patch will become available once it’s gone live. While many of you have become accustomed to preparing for patch days by running the Background Downloader, due to some technical changes, Patch 5.1 will unfortunately not be utilizing this technology. These technical changes will also prevent us from releasing an updated standalone patch. Once the patch is live, you will need to update your game client using the standard World of Warcraft Launcher. We currently have plans for both options to return in future patches, possibly as early as the next major patch. We do greatly apologize for the inconvenience and should anything change, we’ll be sure to notify you immediately. For those not familiar with the Launcher download process, there are three stages:

• 1. Setup (Red) Stage – During this initial stage, core game content is being prepared. You will not be able to enter the game until after this stage has completed. For Patch 5.1 the amount of red data is very small, which anybody who meets the minimum required connection speed should have little issue with.
  • 2. Available (Yellow) Stage – At this stage, major game content is not completely applied yet; however, you will be able to play the game. Your game experience may not be ideal if you play during this stage.
  • 3. Playable (Green) Stage – For this final stage, most of the game content is close to being completely downloaded. You can play the game but you may experience a few issues while playing at this stage.

• Keep in mind that during the second and third stages you are streaming game data in the background if you opt to log in and play. Once these three processes have completed, you’ll be fully patched up and will no longer have to download anything in the background.
    Ok. You guys do such an awesome job on everything else, im sure the download will be spot on!
    Go Blizz!
    11/14/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Brennvin
    ue to some technical changes

Would like to hear more about this.
    So, are you releasing a new new launcher, making some changes to how the Agent works or just... ?

Any idea of the size of the 5.1 patch? Asking due to some people having download caps, and slower speed than some of us.
    The only thing I want elaborated on is the "draws near" part. When can we expect 5.1?
    This is gonna be one sucky patch.
    A patch is a patch is a patch, better try to take a step in the right direction than stand still.
    i don't want it to mess up. last time they did it with optimization, had to re-install the game.
    11/14/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Ishamaell
    Any idea of the size of the 5.1 patch? Asking due to some people having download caps, and slower speed than some of us.

600+ mb according to PTR launcher. However, there is a difference of 1 GB in size between clients.
    600 megabytes sound's good. if it reaches 800 megabytes gotta use a token. darn internet cap (only gotta deal with it for 6 more month's or so) then i can move out of the sticks hopefully.
    Can't wait for the elemental shaman nerf. So looking foreward to it.

Thanks Blizzard you're the greatest.

Fantastic idea nerfing the most underpowered class/spec in the game.

Now our only way to heal in pvp will be nerfed along with our totem use while silenced.

Also can't wait, such bull !@#$. Don't forget the Ancestral swiftness nerf.
    God, shut up whining about unrelated !@#$ you nerds.
    11/14/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Cambra
    Get ready for a !@#$load of issues and not being able to log in for like 18 hours like usual.

My first thought as well. Considering how stable the MoP launch was because of the background pre-patch and background downloader, and how bad previous expansion launches have been without those things...

Blizz, just make sure to tell us a couple weeks in advance. That way I can go plan a trip or something for the day, since I can safely assume that servers won't be back up until at least 3 PM PST and won't be stable until about 9-10 PM. Thanks!
    11/14/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Cadenbrie

i heard some angry BM hunters sabotaged it.
    So you dont nerf priests but you take away warrior silences? total bull!@#$ blizz t-.-