Frost DK rotation/priority is hard

Death Knight
So my main is a fury warrior, and I've gotten used to that priority.

I rolled this DK a week ago, mainly because a friend told me Frost 2H dps was faceroll and i'm doing heroics, and I'm finding the rotation/ priority to be more difficult than I thought. I'm certainly finding it harder than fury warrior, yes because I've played less of my frost DK, but also because I'm finding myself RP starved and watching KM procs. I'm aware that due to new data people are now saying ignore KM procs but yea.

Pretty much I go with Outbreak -> Obliterate til runes are down / HB with Rime -> Frost Strike Spam because I can't do anything else

Is 2H Frost supposed to be easy? Maybe I just dont have the muscle memory yet.
It's just different than fury thats all. Use up Rime procs, *try* to keep KM procs on Obliterate. Frost strike when you're low (not empty) on runes. Since only 3 runes will actively be cooling down at a time, try to keep 2 in stock so you can oblit on an Unexpected KM while dumping frost strikes, but you will normally get some KM procs eaten by FS so don't worry about it.

Cooldowns are another issue but since PoF is just a str gain(and % based to boot) any and all active / proc trinkets and RotFC will help it. I personally like to Empower in Execute but some people find SR to be clunky.
10/28/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Sentimental
I rolled this DK a week ago

You went from 55-90 in one WEEK? Did you sleep AT ALL?
Northrend is really that fast now Sel. I was going anywhere from 30~45 minutes per level from 68 all the way to 81.
Playing DK is all resource and gcd management. It's a bit muscle memory and a lot of resource awareness.
10/28/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Alltruism
Northrend is really that fast now Sel. I was going anywhere from 30~45 minutes per level from 68 all the way to 81.

Are you serious? (I almost never level alts)

And people are complaining leveling took too long? It took WEEKS to hit level cap back in Vanilla and BC. >_>
10/28/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Sentimental
Is 2H Frost supposed to be easy? Maybe I just dont have the muscle memory yet.

No spec is really easy or hard, it's subjective.

BTW you need to pick up Plague Leech, which is more management.
10/28/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Jäckßäuer

Plague Leech makes me moist.
10/28/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Selsix

That's great.
10/28/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Jäckßäuer
That's great.

YOU'RE great.
10/28/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Selsix
YOU'RE great.

Thanks, I get that a lot, especially in BG's.
I like Unholy Blight because it saves me from having to use Plague Strike for ages to refresh blood plague. But in terms of resource awareness and management yea. Any addons you guys using that you could recommend? Im already using Needtoknow to track my diseases and Rime/Killing Machine
Thats just the nature of the class. The only times you will really have an abundance of resources is if you can find a nice fire to sit in with AMS on, or during cooldowns.

While the playstyle hasn't changed, we lost blood tap and rime procs generating RP coming into MoP.

As useless as people thought they were, I kind of miss Butchery and T12-2 piece as well. It made up a combined 1 RP/second. That was a free frost strike every 32 seconds!
10/28/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Selsix

I'll second that. At least for DW frost.

It feels so damn good as DW frost.
Speaking of DW frost used to love it now the master frost is just not as enjoyable :/
No, 2h frost is not ment to be easy, infact it's harder then most specs out there simply because rune management is one of the hardest resources there is, are we overly difficult? no, I would say unholy is the hardest, but frost takes more effort then people give us credit for.

As for your rotation it sounds fine, OB(KM) > diseases > FS(RP capped) > HB(Rime) > OB > FS > Horn.

You won't be able to avoid small downtimes unless you somehow have stupid amounts of haste and the RNG gods decide they like you.
So its ok to have some downtime? I guess it just feels weird, and I find myself spamming frost strike to 0 Runic Power when everything else is down, because thats what you do on fury warrior with heroic strike. Yea sometimes everything will be down, even horn, and then I'm literally auto attacking..
plague leech helps with downtime.
Elitist jerks

Advanced Priority tactics covers it once you got the basics down

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t131138-advanced_frost_priority_tactics_2hand/
The bit about GCD's is particularly interesting.