Let’s Talk About Brawler’s Guild

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 44 Next
Blizzard you've given me a reason to unsub.
No, we're not surprised, but World of Warcraft hasn't traditionally been about solo content, either. Really, it still isn't - while you fight alone at the Brawler's Guild, you're surrounded by your peers. It's, at least in spirit, still social.

The whole thing is very much an experiment.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the feedback we're receiving on this isn't being ignored, and that we're still considering alternate methods of distributing the invitations.

"This whole thing is very much an experiment" Sounds like they're using WoW as a guinea pig to test out new ideas for their new MMO. Let's just hope it doesn't turn into another CRZ debacle on the forums.
11/08/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Darkxkîng
Im sorry but this is bull there shouldn't be invites at all. If you are adding new content you can't limit it to the few people who will spend gold for content. Gold=play time =$. Im sorry i pay for the game to play the content if your going to make me pay for some lil bit of content then i just won't be involved. I love the idea of it but you shouldn't limit it all. If you can't make something that works for everyone who pays for the game you shouldn't have developed it in the first place.What little gold the average player has can't do this. Not to mention the higher the population of the realm the more gold these things will end up being.Get rid of this invitation idea or find a better way to make it work. Don't make player spend gold on a faction to end up spending more time in game. Don't say thats a choice of the player because thats bs everyone who knows about this is going to want to play. You shouldn't make factions into the same concept as mounts and items. Limited to the few but access to all. At least open the faction up in the next coming patch if you insist on staying with ridiculous proposal of paying to play for content we already pay for. Its like a double tax.

If you play the content, you are making gold. You don't have to pay extra to get gold.
What I still don't understand is why it needs to be exclusive. Yes, it might theoretically be cool to have people watch, but that argument ONLY works if it's someone who you care about.

Here's a short quiz to evaluate if I'm going to pay attention:
->If my character is fighting, I'm absolutely paying attention.
->If a friend or guildie is fighting, I'm probably paying attention.
->If a truly world-class, top-level player is fighting a tough enemy, I might be paying attention, might not.
->If anybody else is fighting, I'm totally watching TV while waiting for my queue to pop.

And if you don't think that list is pretty accurate for the majority of WoW players, you're fooling yourself. Hell, it's a pain in the !@# just to get some random person to group up for dailies, even though there's direct benefit to them since you can kill Mogu faster. You really think some random person is going to care about watching me play?
11/08/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Daxxarri
No, we're not surprised, but World of Warcraft hasn't traditionally been about solo content, either.

You're kidding right? Everything in the game, with the sole exception, of raiding is intended to encourage solo play by design. Questing, farming, leveling, pretty much everything accessible to 98% of the playerbase is purely driven by solo play to the point that grouping is actually a detriment.

Even scenarios and heroics, though meant to be group content, have been watered down to the level that running alone is perfectly viable.
It sounded kind of cool at first. Now, not so much.
Just add me to the list of folks disappointed at the missed opportunity for more solo content. I guess I'll just ignore this and wait for that "proving grounds" feature.
World First?
We’ve also decided that attaching a realm first style achievement to the Brawler’s Guild isn’t necessarily the right move. Rest assured that there will be other achievements to earn in the ring though.

Now I'm okay. Still sore about not being able to at least dip my toes into it for a long, long time. But that's alright.
11/08/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Benggaul

Low drop rate from one of these rares would result in them being killed all the time, I think.

I did not say that the invites should drop from the rares. Please pay more attention if you're going to provide criticism.

Yeah, which still results in them being killed repeatedly.
What I still don't understand is why it needs to be exclusive. Yes, it might theoretically be cool to have people watch, but that argument ONLY works if it's someone who you care about.

Here's a short quiz to evaluate if I'm going to pay attention:
->If my character is fighting, I'm absolutely paying attention.
->If a friend or guildie is fighting, I'm probably paying attention.
->If a truly world-class, top-level player is fighting a tough enemy, I might be paying attention, might not.
->If anybody else is fighting, I'm totally watching TV while waiting for my queue to pop.

And if you don't think that list is pretty accurate for the majority of WoW players, you're fooling yourself. Hell, it's a pain in the !@# just to get some random person to group up for dailies, even though there's direct benefit to them since you can kill Mogu faster. You really think some random person is going to care about watching me play?

It sounds like you agree its not worth complaining over the cost of content which doesn't look too promising anyways. I'd say that 99% of the people in this thread still have more raid progression to do so they are not out of content. Not heroic, normal. Myself included.
11/08/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Thanks for expressing your thoughts clearly and constructively, Nessaja. Just to reiterate: we're still considering the possibility of using alternate methods of distributing invitations.

Here's a thing to consider:

You know how arenas have (or had?) "exhibition matches", where you just do it for fun and there are absolutely no rewards at all?

You could consider adding a similar "practice brawler's guild" mode, where folks without invites can run completely instanced copies of it just to try it out. There would be no spectators, no rewards, no leaderboard ranking, no consequences of any kind. But also no need for invites.
11/08/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Daxxarri
Yes, we’re breaking the first rule of Brawler’s Guild.

I'm telling!
Gatting content based on the amount of gold someone has is a terrible idea and sets a precedent that scares me even to think about it.

Youre gona make alot of ppl angry, did it even cross your mind that the majority of the casuals that only search for info about the next patch and things like this once in awhile and dont know all the facts beforehand liek ppl on these forums migth be looking foward this Brawlers Guild (wich is the main feature of this next patch or at least the most anticipated one) only to discover that theyre screwed out of it maybe for over a month (or even more depending on server populations) because they dont have a bazillion gold ?

Odds are this feature that could turn out great will cause a lot of trobles and you are seriously risking loosing massive chunks of subs over it . Im not threating anythign btw Im simply making a statement, Ill still play WoW regardless.

I sincerely think you guys need ot rethink this.
Daxxarri, thanks for the info.

I'd like to suggest an alternative to the invitations. I think most people are put off by the fact that it's ultimately tied to gold. I'd honestly like to see the initial invitation process tied to some sort of world event. For example, perhaps there could be a 48 hour window where all humanoid unfriendly mobs have a very, very small chance of dropping an invitation.

It could be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory style, where there's a set amount of invitations that drop. With each drop, there could be a realm alert. Perhaps something to the effect of "Daxxarri has found an invitation!"

Just an idea.
While I understand what your trying to accomplish I believe you are going about it the wrong way and creating an artificial barrier to content, one so massive that, that in my opinion it rivals some of the BC barriers to entry (Most of the tier six content comes to mind). I would ask that you would really consider seriously other alternatives to getting an invite to the Brawlers Guild, as this was a popular feature when it was first announced. However as it stands there is a good chance that the majority of the people wanting to play this will be locked out until 5.2 or even later considering what rank is required to send out invites and also taking into consideration of the nature of the people who play this game(who can afford these invites).

This seems to be a total 180 from your design philosophy, as I understood it, where everyone has equal chance to see the content, this method of distributing invites is not an equal method. Will future raids be behind monetary curtains? Will the proving grounds whenever they come out be behind the BMAH curtain? How about Pet Battles, or future Scenario or Dungeon Content? Will they too have to be purchased with massive amounts of gold from the BMAH? If your answer is no, why submit the Brawlers guild to the same treatment. This was content I was looking forward to, but I don't have the money, nor do I want to beg people for an invite. The announced methods for getting entry to this content has killed any and all interest in doing this.
What I don't understand is why people seem to feel they deserve Day 1 access to content that is designed to be exclusive. We all pay for the game but many of us don't get to see heroic raids, Rated BGs, rare mounts, etc. unless we work for it. When did we become a communist society that demanded everything be handed out to us, instead of having to work for it?

On top of all this, I think some people see, and many others do not yet know, that this content is just something between dailies and Challenge Modes, neither of which seem too popular now, and I would have to infer they are just complaining because they will not be part of something "exclusive", when in fact it may not even be worth being a part of.
While we're talking gold sinks, let's add some more.

Remember the Shattered Sun Offensive? Probably not, but it was a faction, lot's of dailies, etc etc. One of the quests was "A Charitable Donation", replaced with "Your Continued Support". These quests, you gave the NPC 10 gold, they gave you some rep. How about bringing these back? Make it 500 gold a day, and 250 rep with the faction. Or 1000 gold, and you get the rep/lesser charms you'd get from doing that factions dailies, but you can't do the rest of their dailies that day. Obviously, if you've completed any dailies for them already, you are ineligible for this quest.

How about weekly gold sinks to increase your VP cap for the week? Pay 10k gold, and you can earn 1250 VP this week. A monthly quest, pay 50k gold and raise your total VP cap to 4000 for the month.

While gold is infinitely useful for interacting with other players via professions and the AH, it has very little direct impact on the game. Changes like these would give gold more value, and open up options for players who don't feel like doing 40+ dailies a day.
Why not, instead of making it wealth-based, make it trully random?

For example, you can get an invite in your mail to participate in an underground ring trial where you face someone from the guild, if you win a set number of fights against an NPC then you get to fight another player. Whomever wins 2 ot of 3 fights gets in, the loser goes home and waits for someone to invite him/her.

These invites would have a 3 day expiration, from the moment they are read, and you get them only once so if you miss your chance you have to wait for someone to invite you.