Cross-Realm Zones Update

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 226 Next
10/30/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Kwanyi
It applies to everyone, I assume. But hey, if a lackie gets it, opens it, burns it... how does he... or you know? O.o

Registered mail. I'll know when they get it.

And in most cases, it's a Federal level offense to open mail not addressed to you.

10/30/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Mishotem
Is there 1 server of each type in each datacenter? Then there's enough. They don't NEED to merge for holidays or fishing tournaments.

When the goal is to shut down as many unnecessary copies of zones possible, then no, thats not enough.

10/30/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Skytail
I've always said that the sharded server system is one of WoW's biggest and most intractable problems. "Oh, you play too? What server? Crap. Not mine."

Every single MMORPG until just recently has followed this model. Changing it *now* would ultimately be the end of the game, as it was not designed for it. This is a compromise. For the most part.

It'd also require a recoding of the entire thing. Which, if it's anything remotely close to EQ2 in this regard, would be rather difficult.

I spoke with Ttobey, the senior animator at SoE on EverQuest 2. One of the things that he said in regards to why they can't make deep level changes easily, readily or at all, is that the design team changes and the code changes so much that they can't even *find* the original code to work with. This is likely the reason we cant have legacy or progression servers as well.

10/30/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Skytail
I don't really see what all these man-hours spent coding and debugging CRZ are really trying to achieve here, UNLESS it's a precursor to a one-server, instance-based setup a la STO/CO and some other modern MMO's.

Star Trek Online? That thing's still going? Figured they'd have shut it down by now. ESO is also going that route. Thing is, most games that do that a) Aren't this size, and b) are all hosted in one datacenter. If they're going to a megaserver design, they'd best predict and anticipate a consolidation as the population will likely shrink. Significantly.

They're trying to achieve the ability to shut down 200 of 250 copies of zones like Desolace.
10/30/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Snow
HOW are you planning to address the FACT that many of us chose realms based on having a certain population, and we're now having all of Illidan dumped on us?
GC said in an interview that low population was not a supported play style.

They probably ought to quit using "high," "medium" and "low" to describe server populations then.
I'll just point out once again that this game is designed in such a way that having more people around you while you level will always be a negative. Whenever I see someone when I'm out questing, I avoid them, and CRZ doesn't change that. I just have more people to avoid now. Waiting on mob spawns or competing for herb nodes is not interesting socialization and does not improve the game experience in any way.

I'm also distressed that Blizzard didn't bother to fix the numerous bugs before letting it go live. What happened to your famous reputation for polish?

I don't really see CRZ as a game-breaking issue, but it's not something I ever wanted or ever will want, and I wish we could opt out of it.
I really like the feature so far but I would like to address something I haven't seen talked about. I play with my friend from work who is brand new, and everyone in our experience has been from cross servers so it has been working perfectly for us, however, we play way off peak hours for basically all of the US, so even with the within 3 hours timezone rule, its still fairly empty.

I propose making it so you always see the time of day relative to you in particular, like a phase, just for the time of day in game. That way we can play with people more than 3 time zones apart, and it wont break immersion.
Waits for the small but vocal army that will claim there is no CRZ feedback ever because it's feedback they don't appreciate.

Thank you Rygarius for the update. Hope to see more soon.

Amen
I like how CRZ is done in Pandaria. It's completely passive and only works if a friend invites you onto his server. That is absolutely fine. That individual accepts that he is going on another server and is actually informed of this when he goes to click accept. When it is on ALL THE TIME, this is no toggle or opt-in or opt-out. It's on, all the time and for no real benefit. Sure, I get to see four more people while leveling instead of two. Big whoop. I also miss a lot of rare spawns, rare pets to tame, rare battle pets to tame and a whole lot of other things that I would be in fair numbers but aren't.
10/30/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Rollo
They probably ought to quit using "high," "medium" and "low" to describe server populations then.

This term is generally referred to as the server selection.

but hey, think about opening day on WoTLK just about every server was high or at least medium.

It is basically an artificial launch day every day !
I think a few make a great point regarding paid server transfers, and now they're sucked back into people from the same realm they left. If blizzard is not going to give people the option to opt-out then they do need to start refunding people money for their paid server xfer's. If not I can certainly see from a legal standpoint that many people may have a valid claim against Blizz if not a class action!!
10/30/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Ohmai
I don't want my latency increasing because they stick me on a different server in a different time zone either :(

Your latency should *not* be increasing because they stuck you on a different machine in the same building that has the time zone set 2-3 hours behind you.

10/30/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Ohmai
I would have thought marking the envelope 'Private and Confidential' should do the trick then again if it's anything like over here they would still ignore that

If I have a lawyer mail it and they ignore it.... It's still a federal offense to open mail that isn't for you without authorization.
10/30/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Snow
HOW are you planning to address the FACT that many of us chose realms based on having a certain population, and we're now having all of Illidan dumped on us?
CRZ is not a supported play style to a lot of players.

Optout option is still the fix: Players who love it keep it, players who dont get rid of it.

The real reason why they're keeping it is probably because they are or trying to save $$$$.

If you really want to know if players enjoy it or not then make a poll and let us vote, blizz.
Waits for the small but vocal army that will claim there is no CRZ feedback ever because it's feedback they don't appreciate.

Thank you Rygarius for the update. Hope to see more soon.

Amen

I'm more annoyed when they don't give feedback on important aspects of it.

You know, like "enforcing the player in game code of conduct".
Just wanted to take this opportunity to tell blizz I HATE CRZ. One of the worst ideas you have implemented. This has everything to do with less hardware to maintain and little to do with making the game feel like an mmo.

I spent the last several days trying to level my DK's mining and had thought at one point you decided to remove nodes from a zone or 2 due to 0 nodes being found despite constant and thorough sweeps. The competition for gathering is either ridiculous or spawn rates are a joke.

While I was near storm peaks I thought I'd give a look to see if ol time lost was flying about and all I see is about 20 alliance all camping him from multiple servers.

Stop CRZ now plz! Let's just pretend this bad idea never happened.
10/30/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Rygarius
There are technical limitations preventing multi-passenger mounts from holding separate characters when crossing a zone boundary. Unfortunately, this isn’t something that we can quickly or easily fix.

So we just have to suck it up and deal with it. That's unfortunate, and bleeds away a lot of the potential for this style of multi-player interaction. I understand the arduous process of coding so this wouldn't happen and empathize to the techies for it.

I'll say this. This is what I posted in the "report bug" a few days ago when trying to carry some guildies through the candy bucket achieves, and having to turn around and pick them up 70x (did both Kalimdor & EK achieves) got a bit taxing on the patience. But its good to know the issue has been addressed, although I don't have to like the answer. Thank you. :)
10/30/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Rygarius
we’re happy with how CRZ is populating the leveling areas with other players, and helping to once again foster MMO social experiences in the 1-85 content.

Except that CRZ does the exact opposite- the fact that you're unlikely to ever see most of these other players again reduces them to "just another green name" or "just another red name", there is no "Hey, I remember questing with you the other day" or "My friend so-and-so is in your guild, do you know him?" or "That's the guy who attacked me while I was levelling yesterday, let's get him!". These are the sorts of things that make up the "MMO social experience" and CRZs only make these sorts of situations less likely to happen.

It was fine for raids and 5-man instances since most people were more interested in actually running the instances than sitting around spamming trade to find a group (though the negative aspects of grouping with players from other servers are still there as well, such as the rampant ninja looting), and the players who *DO* want to run with people from the same server still had the option to do so. With CRZ, there is no such option, and that's what most players are angry about.
I think I'm seeing the problem well, you complain about harrasment and ganking, but in the end its us who make the game experience.

Technical problems as some of you have posted are valid and should be addressed by Blizzard asap, I totally agree with that, behavioral problems aren't.

The problem with players misbehavior is not a Blizzard issue, can they help to minimize this, yes, they can with proper feedback, ask for better tools to report and stop this people.

Don't forget this is an MMO, its targeted for large groups of people.

I really wish people could point Blizzard in the right direction, because technical issues and player behavior are 2 different things.
Have you considered doing 3.5 hours instead of 3?
I assume the reason that you right now have the limit at 3 Hours is so that people on the west coast and east coast of north america can play together but in fact people on the west coast say British Columbia , California, Washington etc can not always play with people on the east coast say the Province of Newfoundland in Canada who are in fact 3.5 Hours time diff then the west coast.
If they put CRZs in Pandaria, I will most likely be done. Doing dailies on a high pop server is bad enough, adding in other servers to the mix will make them a nightmare and we'll have griefing all over the place. I was already griefed when leveling my monk with stupid CRZs with level 90s camping quest givers, I won't tolerate it with the new stuff.

CRZ is not a supported play style to a lot of players.

Optout option is still the fix: Players who love it keep it, players who dont get rid of it.

The real reason why they're keeping it is probably because they are or trying to save $$$$.

If you really want to know if players enjoy it or not then make a poll and let us vote, blizz.
Tell me how players will have the intended competition for rares if they are allowed to opt out of it.
10/30/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Rollo

It's probably more of a warning of how difficult it will be to recruit for your raiding guild now.