Soldiers of Pandaria : 5.1.0 Arms PvE Guide

Warrior
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
Drunkbeard, why you write guide then get banned?!?! Fool. :P

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Drunkbeard, why you write guide then get banned?!?! Fool. :P

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Cuz I'm sticking it to the man! Coincedently he is not sticking it to me. See what I did thar?
So I just went and got SimCraft, and ran myself through it, and it spit out this as the scale factors:

Str 2.38
Agi 0.10
AP 1.07
Crit 1.04
Haste .61
Mastery .60
Wdps 9.36

Just thought it was odd because crit was much lower than I expected, and haste/mastery were higher than I expected. (also thought it was strange that Mastery was simming just below haste. I knew they were close, but not -that- close). Is this an error with the sim, or is this legit?
Your value for Crit will increase as you get more gear. For your gear level that seems to about the right value. You'll notice a spike once you upgrade to a better weapon. By the time you get to about 485 ilvl 2 Crit will likely be better than 1 Str, but you'll also notice that as your value for Crit increases your value for Haste/Mastery won't really increase at the same rate so they'll seem lower in comparison later on.

Yes Mastery and Haste are for all relative purposes equal in value. Since Haste was so incredibly bad pre MoP I'm actually more surprised that Haste caught up that much as opposed to Mastery. On a personal note I still prefer Mastery but that is sheer ignorance and being stuck in the past on my part. You can use whichever of the two you prefer or simply not change them at all.
I'm bumping this because it should be stickied already. It's also kept up to date and has many useful informations!
This needs to be stuck at the top of our forums already! Great guide dude!
Why is this not stickied yet... Just shows how much they visit the class forums.
So am I reading this right, in that:

If overpower is available (MS/CS on CD) and you have alt least one stack of TFB, you should use HS instead of seeing how many OPs/stacks you can build up?

If overpower is available (MS/CS on CD) and you have alt least one stack of TFB, you should use HS instead of seeing how many OPs/stacks you can build up?

Nope. Pro warrior dps comes from understanding our liquid resources. TfB stacks(and RB charges for fury), as well as rage, are all damage waiting to happen, but as long as you don't cap them(stacks/charges/rage) or let them fall off(stacks/charges), then you want to build them up as high as possible and only spend them when it's optimal. Most of the time, especially with sudden death proccing so often, you will want to use these resources inside colossus smash, but failing that, there are plenty of high-damage windows of opportunity that your rage and stacks are better spent on. A brief two-target phase during a mostly Patchwerk fight, for example, when you can do 50% more damage using SS, or a trinket proc between CS uses when SD just won't proc for you and you need to avoid capping.

Well it depends on the situation. If you're very close to capping your Rage then you will have to immediately use your 1 stack up to dump off some Rage. However you'll see than in the priority list OP is still listed higher than HS w/ at least 1 stack. This is because you generally only want to replace Slam with HS. OP still has chance to grant you more stacks which is always nice.

What I do is continue using OP until MS is back up or until it stops proccing. Once you get no more procs for that cycle then use up your stacks. Best case scenario you will go MS - OP x 3 and use HS once with 2 stacks. However usually it will go MS - OP x 2 and HS with only 1 stack. That leaves you with an empty GCD you can fill with low Rage cost moves such as Heroic Throw, Impending Victory, etc or Battle Shout. And then of course if you get no procs you'll be looking at MS - OP - Slam x 2. And of course you should still always prioritize Colossus Smash and Mortal Strike above OP.

The only time I ever worry about saving up stacks is if Bloodbath or my other major cooldowns are close to being up. Then instead of using my 2 stacks right away I save them up and usually have 3 or 4 stacks ready to go for my next Bloodbath. That also leaves you with a good amount of saved up Rage for Bloodbath so you can go a little nuts with HS which let's you get the most out of your Rage, but that's a different discussion all together.

I hope this is close to what you were wanting to know.
Sticky this already!
Well I'm quitting WoW guys so whoever feels up to can repost this guide and modify it as they see fit, although we probably don't even need an Arms guide at this point. If you want the original version then I can email em to you, but they aren't updated for 5.1 and they don't have the item codes or anything.
Is it just me or is the 2 piece bonus from tier gear super hawt for Arms? 25% extra MS damage sounds ridiculous.
That aint good drunk, everything else seems to be fury-prot or pvp related on this forum :(
@Drunkbeard, if you are still reading: I hope your wow hiatus doesn't last too long. There are always new players looking for advice. These guides help.
I have been wondering if what you said about sweeping strikes and whirlwind when fighting more than 3 targets is true.
"SS is generally not worth using if you are fighting 3+ enemies as the 30 rage is better spent on WW."

My guild is working on the 4th boss in Heart of Fear and I was feeling like ss was still worth hitting even with 6 targets up, so with just 4 it would be worth it for sure.

My WW hits for about 25k average. The question is how many extra attacks is SS providing in 10 seconds for 30 rage compared to the 6 attacks WW will provide for the same 30 rage?
I just reviewed world of logs. For some reason it shows two sets of sweeping strikes so I am not sure if it is accurate.

If it is accurate then with 6 targets up sweeping strikes is providing slightly more damage than 1 WW would. I added up both sets of SS damage then compared that to the number of times I hit SS * 6 * 33333 which gives the average damage that WW would have given.

I used 6 because of hte 6 targets and 33333 because my average WW is 25k and with my crit chance I should get about 2 crits from the 6 attacks. So (4 * 25000 + 2 * 50000)/6 = 33333.
I request that this be sticked because it contains alot of valuable information
I just reviewed world of logs. For some reason it shows two sets of sweeping strikes so I am not sure if it is accurate.

If it is accurate then with 6 targets up sweeping strikes is providing slightly more damage than 1 WW would. I added up both sets of SS damage then compared that to the number of times I hit SS * 6 * 33333 which gives the average damage that WW would have given.

I used 6 because of hte 6 targets and 33333 because my average WW is 25k and with my crit chance I should get about 2 crits from the 6 attacks. So (4 * 25000 + 2 * 50000)/6 = 33333.

I will try to confirm your results for everyone. While writing this guide it didn't even occur to me to test that type of situation. This might be like a week from now lol as I don't have much time because of my current WoW hiatus.
up