Paragraph Roleplayers.

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
Paragraph rpers make me fall asleep.
@Thane

A guild recently ran a fight ring that a good amount of people attended. Then a guild named Greedyfingers came and decided to fight also. That's fine. When one of their members got up to fight, he was gone for like 10 minutes. People were getting frustrated, waiting for their turn to fight. Then after a while a post came up. A HUGE POST. At least 8 paragraphs. The ring master told the man to shorten it a bit because we have people waiting to fight, and it's kind of a pain to read all of that. At that moment, everyone in GFE all said "WHY DONT YOU GUYS JUST BE PATIENT!?", and then they started this huge OOC argument. Sometimes they bring themselves into valued RP and ruin it but their annoying, pointless posts. I'm sorry if you're also one and don't understand other peoples points of views, but it's really irritating.

Hi there. I was at the event mentioned. I personally believe that, since it wasn't our event, we shouldn't yell at you guys to be patient. That was our bad. My fellow guildmates may or may not agree with me, but I guess that's what happens.

That being said, I'd like to personally apologize for my guildmates actions.
I'm a para poster. I don't go on about how beautiful anything is either.

The way I see it is: The more detail I can add in to something someone else can't LITERALLY see on the screen, the easier it is for them to imagine it in their mind. Granted I don't go into detail about how one hair is out of place or anything like that. I usually fall short on physical appear details as my character looks the same as his avatar. With the exception of some easily summed up details that WoW just can't add onto it.

Beyond that, I do post small though when needed. /says and nods. Etc. But, if you're a story teller like I've started to become, you kinda have to have the ability to add more detail. Simply put, how good would a book be if you couldn't see or feel what happened to the very people you bought it to read about?

If I can't see it playing out in my head like a movie, then why am I watching/doing it?

Edit: I typically do 2-3 para's. Sometimes reaching higher depending on what's needing to be done. Especially if I have alot to react/answer to.
11/12/2012 07:19 PMPosted by Thanë
To imply someone's RP style is "ruining RP" is so silly to me. If you don't like how someone RPs, don't RP with them.

Unfortunately, the type of RP people are describing here is happening in public where you can't get away from it. For instance, I'm sitting in front of the Blue Recluse, chatting with friends and sorting out my RP from the random chat occurring around me, when bam! Several (yes, several) full emoted paragraphs suddenly flood my chat box because someone decided to simply light a cigarette.

Does it "ruin" RP? No. But it is frustrating. Do you put the person on ignore? You can't really ask the player to tone it down, because they'll get offended and drama. I suppose you could move out of emote range, but then one could argue that you have every right to be there as much as the next person.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are some valid concerns, and it's not necessarily people just being RP snobs :)
@Thane

A guild recently ran a fight ring that a good amount of people attended. Then a guild named Greedyfingers came and decided to fight also. That's fine. When one of their members got up to fight, he was gone for like 10 minutes. People were getting frustrated, waiting for their turn to fight. Then after a while a post came up. A HUGE POST. At least 8 paragraphs. The ring master told the man to shorten it a bit because we have people waiting to fight, and it's kind of a pain to read all of that. At that moment, everyone in GFE all said "WHY DONT YOU GUYS JUST BE PATIENT!?", and then they started this huge OOC argument. Sometimes they bring themselves into valued RP and ruin it but their annoying, pointless posts. I'm sorry if you're also one and don't understand other peoples points of views, but it's really irritating.

When you run a public RP and open it up to other RPers, I guess you put yourself at the risk of being exposed to different RP styles. It sucks that they started an OOC fight when they could have just left the RP, but if you want to avoid being around different types of RP then only keep it between you and your friends that you're comfortable with. To be honest these always sound more to me like the people complaining don't understand other peoples points of view, or aren't very open to anything outside of their own way of doing things. Especially when other peoples styles are initially equated to doing it "to be annoying" or taking pride in "ruining RP".

You have tools at your disposal to block out the things you don't want to see.

11/12/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Vandrysse
Does it "ruin" RP? No. But it is frustrating. Do you put the person on ignore?

Absolutely.

Put them on ignore until you leave. It's not like you need to keep them on ignore. You can place them on and then take them off afterwards. Or place your own RP in Party/Raid chat if it's difficult for you to keep things separated. (Speaking of "you" in general.)
I ERP in paragraphs, because in ERP, details are everything. And girth. But mostly details.
The way I see paragraph RP abused in public spaces -- note that I'm not talking about ALL paragraph RP -- generally leads me to believe that the people writing it are oblivious to the joy of discovery for others. Depending on who's behind the keyboard, I see the 'show and not tell' thrown right out the window. I suddenly get people's thoughts written all out for me, thus robbing me of the chance to piece the mystery together and doing serious damage to my level of engagement all in one fell swoop.
I only have a problem with people who feel a 'need' to write paragraphs, and so they end up being needlessly wordy or awkwardly repetitive in order to fill that space each time it's their turn. You kind of know it when you see it; they take time writing things that have absolutely zero impact on the post or the character or the roleplay or -anything-. I wish I could think of an example but eh.

I just write however much is necessary. If I'm performing a complex action, or introducing a new object (or something) that requires description, then it will end up being long. If I only have one line of simple dialogue to say, then it will be one line. I only describe things in great detail if I'm imparting that information to my listener for the first time; once it's in their mind's eye, I don't need to keep giving them the same details over and over again unless something changes.

TL;DR, I don't think it's a good idea for people to designate themselves as 'paragraph roleplayers' and force themselves make EVERY post that way as if it's a high standard. I think it's as restrictive as if someone decided to always post in one sentence or less.

Personally, I avoid being excessively wordy in public/crowded spaces as much as possible anyway, just because it feels awkward and rude. I guess others bother me less because I have Elephant to keep track of things, but if I only had the chat window, I'd probably get lost, so I can see where people are coming from.
astrid's highlights of reasonable, well-made points for the thread:

The amount doesn't matter, it's the quality and some people don't realize that. You came across those apparently. There's nothing wrong with detailed RP as long as it's done right.

^this

Does the story call for it? Cool.
Are you abusing purple prose? Not cool.

this^

11/12/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Kynak
I type very quickly, often times one line. But I do 4-6 of them. I just find it flows better, and people are able to interrupt properly. Just like in any real conversation.

th^is

11/12/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Electraa
ten paragraphs flood my box

11/12/2012 07:10 PMPosted by Philomene
hold other people's chatboxes hostage

11/12/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Feets
suddenly my chatbox is filled with 3+ posts

^this^

11/12/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Kynak
it makes sense is in combat, where detail actually helps the situation

this^^

11/12/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Exalius
posting many, many paragraphs for simple actions can be a bit much

^^dis

Not everyone uses it to describe one thing stretched out. I incorporate narrative meant for the reader/RPers

a bit o' dat^

I find one-lining pretty boring and having the limited text space makes it hard to get everything out in one hit at times.

^some o' dis

To imply someone's RP style is "ruining RP" is so silly

^lotta this^

write what is necessary to get a post across, whether it need 2 sentences or 2 paragraphs.

~^mostly this^~

if you're all literally referring to people who write 10 actual paragraphs, or anyone who does more than a sentence for anything. But my impression is a the latter whenever I see these. Mostly because I've never in my WoW experience seen someone try to push 10 full paragraphs into the chat box.

((the former, not the latter, I've seen it aplenty myself, and it also appears to function as a mark of pride for the proclaimed para-rpers to push out as much content, regardless of relevance or quality, in one go as humanly possible))

I've always had fun RPs on here

fun!?!?! dis^^^^^^

11/12/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Dinthoqaf
The way I see it is: The more detail I can add in to something someone else can't LITERALLY see on the screen, the easier it is for them to imagine it in their mind. Granted I don't go into detail about how one hair is out of place or anything like that. I usually fall short on physical appear details as my character looks the same as his avatar

Honestly I've tried the paragraph-style, super mega ultra RP and it was rather mind-numbing. I can be quick with the quips and responses, even if they're rather verbose, but most of the time the people pumping out these mini-novels in a public square are ut tt tterrrrlyyyy sl o oooooowwww aaas mooolaaaasssesssss s ss ssss--zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ahem, so, yeah, at that point it just gets frustrating to participate in. If they're quick on the keys with the 6+ paragraphs of text? That can be even worse because guys, hey, my chat box is only so large and I don't know how many times I've ever had to stop, go back, scroll up and find the missing block, or just whiff it entirely and never see/respond to it--which in the latter case, if I can miss an entire, large chunk of your post and it doesn't interrupt the all-around flow of the exchange, then does it need to be tossed out there into the 'verse?

ETA: generally I find that 'paragraph rp' is highly situational and while clearly is suffering some abuse it's not something that should be shunned for existing (because it can be awesome), but, as with all things, should really partake in moderation.
My issue with paragraph RPers is that our chat boxes have limited space. Forum RPs are great for paragraph RP, but in game where there is a limited space to type something, just keep it simple. The most important thing is that the other RPers and I understand what is going on and we give each other something to respond to.
I love reading and writing, and RP online is pretty much the perfect venue for creative writing. Not everyone uses it to describe one thing stretched out. I incorporate narrative meant for the reader/RPers, not the other characters (since a common complaint I've seen on these forums is usually "I can't read your character's mind". No duh.). Because if you don't find a character interesting, what point is there in RPing with it?

At least that's my feeling on it.

WoW I do see isn't great to foster this. I find one-lining pretty boring and having the limited text space makes it hard to get everything out in one hit at times. The WrA forums are also the first place I've ever encountered where RPers will snub at another person's writing style. It always baffles me how people involved in an activity that is based on reading and writing, don't like it when people write or they have to read... It was pretty off-putting when I first rolled here to see threads like that on the old forums. I write what is necessary to get a post across, whether it need 2 sentences or 2 paragraphs.

Bolded emphasis my own.
I prefer para for forum and IM RP, in game it's a bother. I've been rping with friends when para RPers arrive and flood my chat box with multipara posts and I loose my friends replies.

I'm not expecting them to stop, and I don't want to ignore them because that's just stupid.

In the busy inn is not a good place for para.

Just sayin'.
Also, a large problem with paragraph-style RPing in game is that most of the time there's not really much given to respond to, so, Jillybosteve o'er there goes on for 20 minutes about this that and the other thing about and around him in a staggeringly large emote, but only devotes perhaps one sentence to material I can reply to. So, you get 7 paragraphs from Jillybosteve and then my post is like, "Yes, I've been to Darnassus."

Needless detail, I think, is the issue at heart.

If you're gonna flap your gums that long, be entertaining or relevant at least.
Part of the reason I RP is for the sake of seeing interesting writing. Style is as interesting to me as content. But it's hard to see that if everybody is taking a minimalist approach.

And yes, overdoing it is also a problem too. But it's the kind of problem that I encounter so rarely that it stands out; in contrast, the minimalists all sort of muddle together, no matter the characters.

Edit: In addition, "Omit needless words" is a nearly useless piece of advice in fiction. Who determines needless?
I won't say I dislike para-RP, but it becomes an issue if the person that's doing it either goes overboard with details or is a slow typer. The latter is an issue that doesn't matter so much in a forum setting, but if it's taking you 5+ minutes to come up with a reply to something that a person has said or done, that becomes an issue. It's a matter of consideration for the other party at that point.
I can do either, but in my experience, unless the other person is just really good at succinctly getting their character's personality across and thinking on their feet, brevity tends to leave me hungry for more.

Most of my RP is done over aim and fairly descriptive, which is probably why.
"Omit needless words" is a nearly useless piece of advice in fiction. Who determines needless?

IDK if that's aimed at my

Needless detail,

or not, but, it's not that there are too many words, it's that there's an overflow of detail that is entirely pointless, and/or things that can clearly be taken in without needing input--IE: I know we're in Stormwind and it's day time--I don't need a reminder.
I sometimes am a paragraph RPer, but at MOST I think it was 4 paragraphs a handful of times.

Usually it involves explaining something, or a situation where my character would monologue, and then I throw emotes and details in.

I do think 7-8 paragraphs in a crowded, public setting is a no-no just because it is kind disruptive. But for those who stick to 2-4 I really don't care, and often find their method enjoyable. People who only reply in short sentences with little to no detail often leave me floundering in trying to figure out how to respond!

I think the main important thing is to make sure others have a chance to RP. Even though I usually have a couple of 2-3 paragraph chunks in my RP, that is between sections of one-liners and quick emotes (wink, smile, etc) which allows others to get their own character moving in the story. Some may find my wordiness annoying, but often I feel it is necessary (describing actions that hint at mental states, quick descriptions of emotional states that hint at bigger things about the character, etc). Basically, stuff that I find that makes a character interesting and unique.
11/12/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Astrid
"Omit needless words" is a nearly useless piece of advice in fiction. Who determines needless?

IDK if that's aimed at my

Needless detail,

or not, but, it's not that there are too many words, it's that there's an overflow of detail that is entirely pointless, and/or things that can clearly be taken in without needing input--IE: I know we're in Stormwind and it's day time--I don't need a reminder.

Aimed more at Strunk & White, the chief purveyors of that perversity, then at yourself, but it could also just as easily be aimed at other empty writing and RP platitudes that get tossed around in threads like these. "If the story calls for it" is another one high on my list of teeth-gritters.
description in writing of any sort is like spices in cooking

too little keeps it bland

too much is overpowering

moderate