I'm uhnappy w/ the current representatives II

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
Irrelevant.

Go ask any manager of any store what he/she thinks a customer service reps job is to do in the face of a "rude" customer.

I know my brother would eject people from his store if they spoke to employees the way people on these forums speak to the Blues. There is a line between providing customer service and taking verbal abuse.

Oh, and what Zarhym said about them not actually being Customer Service.
Irrelevant.

Go ask any manager of any store what he/she thinks a customer service reps job is to do in the face of a "rude" customer.

I know my brother would eject people from his store if they spoke to employees the way people on these forums speak to the Blues. There is a line between providing customer service and taking verbal abuse.

So a representative of a company that interacts with customers has nothing to do with customer service? Riiiight...
11/06/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
Everyday I'm sharing with the community on the forums, Twitter, and email my view of things, even as an official representative of Blizzard. I wouldn't love my career so much if I didn't actually believe what I'm saying or have the freedom to share my stance on things, or if my only role was to be someone's mouthpiece. On a personal level, I approach the forums each day hoping I can do some good, share helpful insights or new information, and encourage people to want to come to the forums for constructive reasons -- to speak reasonably and frankly about World of Warcraft with other players and representatives of Blizzard.

Zarhym, speaking as someone who has been growing increasingly frustrated, impatient, and just plain burned out with the forum community, I cannot express how much respect I have for you guys that you can still post, even in response to direct attacks on yourselves, without just blowing your stacks as I would be tempted to do in your shoes considering the kind of crap you have to put up with.

On a less serious note, I eagerly await the release of your book; "Zen and the Art of Forum Moderation."
I'm reopening this thread since it's a broader discussion about the role of Community Managers. Rygarius is right though. We strongly recommend that feedback regarding Community Managers or any of our specific posts be sent to WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com. We want to make sure gameplay discussions remain the central focus of these forums.

Umumaru, you make some fair points about professionalism. I'd rather not break them down to provide feedback on everything said, as I don't think this is a topic that most players on the forums would prefer I spend much time focusing on.

All that said, I want to briefly address this statement:

Their job is to grin and bear it, regardless of how wrong the customer is. They tell them what they want to hear (and let's not pretend that Blizzard doesn't do this to us) so that they go away.

We just don't agree with this. I'd like to avoid a semantic argument so I'll agree that, on some level, the community team is a form of customer support, as much as we're also a function of public relations. But, while we're linked directly to public relations as a communications branch at Blizzard, we're not directly tied to customer support.

One of the biggest components of our jobs is community engagement. We can't effectively be functioning members of the community, relate to the community on a personal level, and maintain a two-day dialog in discussions which largely revolve around subjective experiences and opinion, if our job is to "grin and bear it."

Everyday I'm sharing with the community on the forums, Twitter, and email my view of things, even as an official representative of Blizzard. I wouldn't love my career so much if I didn't actually believe what I'm saying or have the freedom to share my stance on things, or if my only role was to be someone's mouthpiece. On a personal level, I approach the forums each day hoping I can do some good, share helpful insights or new information, and encourage people to want to come to the forums for constructive reasons -- to speak reasonably and frankly about World of Warcraft with other players and representatives of Blizzard.

I'm sorry, but at what point does a blue poster go too far though? I've been seeing and I know that's what spurred this on, a certain EU blue poster who everyone damn well knows who I'm talking about literally take the tone of sarcasm and trolling for MONTHS in well publicized blue posts and yet these are things outlined in the forum guidelines as what not to do.

Can a blue publicly attack a poster? Personal attacks are clearly defined as not allowed on these forums as I've had an email discussion about this with whoever reads the wowreportedpost email.

Can a blue be sarcastic for the sole purpose of demeaning what a player is saying? I'm pretty sure that is clearly harassment if I ever saw it.

Can a blue avidly troll like this individual has done? It wasn't once, twice, three times even.

The fact of the matter is CMs are in fact the face of the forums and I have never once seen this come from any of the CMs on these forums. Every US forums CM I've ever seen post has been polite and consise. The only bit of sarcasm that has ever come out of their mouths(figuratively) on these forums is clearly meant as a jest and definitely not meant to demean a poster which is great and fun.

All I've been thinking now is: Why should we obey forum rules of politeness when a CM cannot and has repeatedly and publicly shown this? Of course I'm not going to suddenly burst into a violent spree of posting like a buffoon, it was more of a rhetorical statement of where do you draw the line? Honestly I'd like to see his resignation.
I love the blues they're witty and kind, they do clear up a lot of things that are confusing. I don't understand why people attack other people who come with good intentions like they do.
Their job is to grin and bear it, regardless of how wrong the customer is.

Pretty flawed view of customer service. In a past job, I've had someone call up and threaten to kill me. Yeah, I'm not grinning and bearing that, sorry.
11/06/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Opolis
So a representative of a company that interacts with customers has nothing to do with customer service? Riiiight...

As he said, they are more public relations. It is not the same people doing both jobs, not in any business I ever worked in.
11/06/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Valenntine
I love the blues they're witty and kind, they do clear up a lot of things that are confusing. I don't understand why people attack other people who come with good intentions like they do.

Because WoW-related information is given to players by blues in a way that's similar to the way that Enron released ledger information to stockholders.
11/06/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Herethebeef

You know what I've noticed? Employees tend to be much nicer to me when I'm nice to them.

I wonder why that is...

Irrelevant.

So the way you treat others in regards to how you expect to be treated by others is irrelevant? You have a fascinating view of personal interactions.

Way way way way back in my days in retail and slightly more recently in my days in nightclub work, I have never ever had a manager tell me that a part of my job was to receive abuse from customers with no recourse. Plus, how one acts in person, where the possibility of physical escalation is there, affects how you would act towards a rude customer.

Ultimately there is no objective criteria, each company sets their own standards. If an employee back talking a rude customer offends your sensibilities, there is nothing Blizzard nor the forum community can do about it. But we are not obligated to bow to your standards either.

Security interacts with customers, but they are not customer service.
Eh, they're not so bad. Considering how much abuse they receive from irate players, I think their patience is to be praised. I do think that Zar's comments from last night that got everyone so riled up were pretty non-constructive and that he didn't take the proper effort to understand the nature of the complaint, but I've been around long enough to know that incidents like that are the exception and not the rule.

Doesn't mean I'm always happy with what the CMs say. Quite the opposite, in fact, but I also know that they're just a liaison for the higher-ups at Blizzard and are only doing the best they can to see our concerns addressed. Basically, I find getting angry at them is shooting the messenger more often than not.
11/06/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Ajulynn

As he said, they are more public relations. It is not the same people doing both jobs, not in any business I ever worked in.

Job titles more of a way to separate pay grades than they are to distinguish actual duties.
I have read a few EU blue posts that seemed a little rude, but the US CMs have always been a breath of fresh air. Sometimes cruelly honest and curt, sometimes a little short, but hardly rude. They call it like it is and people who don't agree call them rude. :(

Zarhym I named one of my floating skulls after you :P
11/06/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Opolis

Right. :)

Zarhym, is not a customer service/support representative of Blizzard. For all your customer service/support needs and concerns, please post and or/read these forums:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011699/

11/06/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Opolis
Job titles more of a way to separate pay grades than they are to distinguish actual duties.

Try telling that to my boss. :(
I cannot imagine having their job. The internet/social media has evolved so quickly. There are many people (fans/mvps/blues) that still manage to put together coherent thoughts and good idea process flow in the mists of "your Mom" and "u mad bro".

Common decency is still found out there, but at times it feels like pearls admit grains of sand.

An earlier poster mentioned GC. I have a new admiration for him. The first week he was on twitter, I wondered if the man had a real life. He cares so much for the fans and this game he was active on Twitter for what seemed like odd hours of the day or night. By doing that caring, he has made himself a target. Maybe that's ok to him.
There will always be a target figure in any popular subject, game or hobby. I can think of other fan sites, and a name pops in my head that represents that category.

There are different styles of moderation out there. Just like there are different perceptions of what is acceptable. Eye of the beholder.
I've rarely seen Blue's act rude. Honestly, when I see it I'll either call them out on it but I don't want a bandwagon on it I mean. People on these forums can be pretty disgusting and vile. And I think it's kind of shameful. I get that people are passionate it but there's a saying *Keep your passion in check*. I'm not overly passionate but then again I'm told to be nice no matter what.

Now do I feel like I want to say "Shut The !@#$ up already"? Sometimes I do but I let it pass and not say a word. It's better to be a nice person then a jerk who clearly cannot handle his temper on the internet. I mean who's the fool, the one trying to be nice or the one insulting Blizzard and or being passive aggressive.
11/06/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Opolis

Really, so you often see PR people handling customer issues at the stores you shop in?

Edit: You don't because PR people usually work out of the corporate offices, not the store locations.
Eh, they're not so bad. Considering how much abuse they receive from irate players, I think their patience is to be praised. I do think that Zar's comments from last night that got everyone so riled up were pretty non-constructive and that he didn't take the proper effort to understand the nature of the complaint, but I've been around long enough to know that incidents like that are the exception and not the rule.

Doesn't mean I'm always happy with what the CMs say. Quite the opposite, in fact, but I also know that they're just a liaison for the higher-ups at Blizzard and are only doing the best they can to see our concerns addressed. Basically, I find getting angry at them is shooting the messenger more often than not.

I agree, I've had patients get super pissed at me because the doctor said they are on a fluid restriction. Or that the nurse can't give them their pain meds for another hour. I'm like, "Sorry I'm just the messenger :( I can give you a hot pack or ice pack for pain, but your Morphine isn't due for another hour D:"