Garalon Changes - Raid Finder, Normal, Heroic

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
11/12/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Crithto
Also included in the next hotfix, the Raid Finder version of Pungency (with relation to Garalon's Pheromones ability) will only stack 20 times, and Fury will only stack 5 times.

I knew some sort of change to Pheromones in LFR would be coming (though I was expecting the entire removal of Pungency, to be honest). That's the biggest key to the entire encounter in LFR, and putting a cap on it will probably make it largely doable without intimately knowing how the mechanic works.
11/12/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Crithto
Also included in the next hotfix, the Raid Finder version of Pungency (with relation to Garalon's Pheromones ability) will only stack 20 times, and Fury will only stack 5 times.

So only one kiter is needed now at any given time, and if the stack needs to be removed due to healing issues there's no rush to do it.

Good, that should solve pretty much all the problems with Garalon, same with the Fury only stacking to five as well.
It's still not working for raid finder and the first boss is random on whether or not that groups ID gets to pull it more than once. It's broken, your testers are failures and you need to handpick testers for the next ptr or beta, because getting this many bugs on a live game from one of the biggest gaming companies in the world is pathetic, there are still players out there that want a quality game not just a time sink, wow used to be a quality game but with this xpack... I don't know after 6 years it may just be time to cancel account. Everything in this xpack just seems to try and force the player to take more time to get anywhere. Daily quests being required was just stupid as hell, and you should fire whoever came up with that idea for not doing their job right.
Edit: By taking more I don't mean raid progression, I mean like having to unlock a daily vendor, or try to get a queue for something you need to do more in the game.
11/12/2012 05:59 PMPosted by Omegal
So translation. the fight no longer has any mechanics on LFR.

I'm perfectly OK with this.

I shouldn't have to waste an hour or more of my time because someone is running windows 95 and lagging in the purple zone the whole time.
Speaking of Garalon, I was wondering if it'd be possible to make the purple circle more visible for all difficulties. Not a nerf, per se, but rather quality of life since it's pretty thin and kinda dark - which doesn't go so well on a dark-ish floor.
Sort of, and something we should take this opportunity to clarify. In Cataclysm, cleave-type mechanics double-dipped on damage bonuses, but we changed that universally in Patch 5.0 on a fundamental level. If you go back to Halfus or Wind Lord Mel'jarak, you'll find that cleave effects that derive their damage from the initial hit now only award the bonus damage on the target that is receiving increased damage.

Note that this works both ways. If you Sinister Strike a target that has a 50% damage reduction effect on it, your Blade Flurry will still do full damage to a secondary target, which previously would not have been the case.

So damage modifiers on the original target no longer have an effect, yet... Garalon doesn't take increased damage on the leg if BF is the ability that hits it, and further still, BF damage is reduced by every damage reduction CD I've tested.

Working as intended?
11/12/2012 05:59 PMPosted by Omegal
So translation. the fight no longer has any mechanics on LFR. you don't pass pheramons cause it doesn't matter. you can stand under boss. and not using tanks won't be an issue either. Sound like it's more in line with what you'd expect from a LFR encounter. :)

No. Just no. At 20 stacks it will still be ticking for 30k damage every 2 seconds in lfr. You still can't ignore it. You still have to swap it. This is not heal-able for 5 crappy pug healers. This makes the mechanic slightly more forgiving, but you still can't ignore it.

Honestly this won't change much. This is like every single other nerf they have attempted so far. The only thing this will help is push the groups who were border line over the edge. Groups who don't have 2-3 people step up and take compete responsibility for pheromone swapping will simply be wiping at 40-50% instead of 60-80%. Groups who have 2-3 people to handle the pheromones will still kill it with ease.

In order to truly make this fight lolworthy they need to decrease the base damage of the pheromone to like 5k, or remove the debuff part all together so that one single person can take control of the kiting and not have to coordinate with random strangers to get it done.
Just for clarification, do pets just automatically get the buff, or does the pet, or the person have to be standing in the circle? because caster pets definitely will not be standing in the circles.
Honestly if they want fights to be doable by 25 people who have never seen each other before, or may not even speak the same language, they are gonna have to make every LFR encounter not much more difficult than patchwerk.
11/12/2012 06:50 PMPosted by Alayea
Speaking of Garalon, I was wondering if it'd be possible to make the purple circle more visible for all difficulties. Not a nerf, per se, but rather quality of life since it's pretty thin and kinda dark - which doesn't go so well on a dark-ish floor.

I completely agree with all the floor aoe spam particularly mine it isn't always completely evident. The purple really doesn't pop, it would be nice to see it a less used color to contrast not only with character spells but with the floor itself. Maybe have it radiate so it is visible a few inches off the floor idk.
11/12/2012 06:50 PMPosted by Alayea
Speaking of Garalon, I was wondering if it'd be possible to make the purple circle more visible for all difficulties

This sounds like a very good idea. It's rather low-contrast right now, and anyone with colour vision or general vision problems will almost certainly have a lot more grief on this fight than is really necessary.

Honestly this won't change much. This is like every single other nerf they have attempted so far. The only thing this will help is push the groups who were border line over the edge. Groups who don't have 2-3 people step up and take compete responsibility for pheromone swapping will simply be wiping at 40-50% instead of 60-80%. Groups who have 2-3 people to handle the pheromones will still kill it with ease.

People are usually switching when the debuff is beyond 20, so this actually does make a difference. You won't need to switch it, since the damage will then be consistent and on one person. That simplifies it for the healers, especially since they won't have to deal with random Crush damage more than once every 30s if someone is lackluster at avoiding the circle.
My PuG on Day 1 Downed him after many wipes and changes to strategy. We all pulled together came up with a strat and pulled it off. Even had times during the final kill that we thought a wipe was gonna happen because people were dying with the pheremones and stacks were getting higher.

Our main strategy was 2 Dedicated Switchers. We'd switch at 13 stacks one being a DPS and the other a healer(myself and a shadow priest - Go Priests for being competent) what almost wiped us was by our 4th lap we were 3 rows in and some shaman picks it up off of us and runs the complete other direction then passes it to some warrior who heroic leaps into the middle of a giant group of ground effects and dies. I pick it up off of him but die to all the damage luckily a mage was smart ran over picked it up from me at 30 stacks amd blinks back to the group and finds the shadoe Priest to start switchibg with again.

By then we had it in the bag. LoL those of us who cleared it in LFR pre nerf should get some title like LFR Champion lol
I'd like to report that my LFR group one-shot this boss last night; we got about 4 crushes total and it didn't seem too hard. It was my only run last lockout week.
We have a few updates regarding the hotfixes, and a couple new changes based upon some of the feedback we've received:

• In Raid Finder, the 30-second cooldown added to Garalon's Crush ability didn't properly apply through our most recent hotfix. We've isolated the issue and will apply a new hotfix to address this tomorrow during restarts.
  • Also included in the next hotfix, the Raid Finder version of Pungency (with relation to Garalon's Pheromones ability) will only stack 20 times, and Fury will only stack 5 times.
  • Once the realms are back up tomorrow, classes with pets can rejoice! All class pets will now gain the Weak Points buff in all versions of the encounter (Raid Finder, Normal, and Heroic).

• EDIT: Clarification, not just Hunter pets, but all classes that have pets.

Ok not here to complain or anything, but what exactly is the role here for Hunters with the hotfix (and pets getting the damage buff)? My pet doesn't do splash damage and putting him on the legs just diminishes the dmg the melee can do on the body so putting my pet on a leg doesn't appear to help the raid.

Sitting on the body sucks because I don't have Multi-dots and I don't have splash dmg like Mage Bombs. I don't spread diseases.

We have other classes with better survivability kiting and at the end of the day, it just seems that I'm not helping my guild get this boss down.

edit - sorry if this was the wrong place to post this.
    I'm still having a hellish time with LFR Garalon. I've been in a group trying to take him down for over an hour. We've wiped five times. This encounter could really use a giant nerf.

Please, I'm begging you :( this is frustrating and painful, please help us take this down more easily.

edit: I finally left the group after about five more attempts using different strategies. We never came close to killing him.