Garalon Legs

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Is a damaged leg able to mend? Not a broken one, but a leg in the course of being dpsed down?
no
only broken legs mend
Nope only broken. But if you planned on leaving legs low, why would you. All leg damage is basically transfered to the boss but at double damage (since he takes 3% of his life and legs have about 3% of his total life).
11/19/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Wyvernmaster
Nope only broken. But if you planned on leaving legs low, why would you. All leg damage is basically transfered to the boss but at double damage (since he takes 3% of his life and legs have about 3% of his total life).

Its an overall dps gain to not go out of your way to kill all the legs at the start. For example, leaving at least one front leg alive gives one for your tanks to whittle down throughout the fight, and it will also get hit by incidental cleave.

You still kill it by the end of the fight, but its more efficient to let it happen as a natural result of cleave damage as much as possible.

Its an overall dps gain to not go out of your way to kill all the legs at the start. For example, leaving at least one front leg alive gives one for your tanks to whittle down throughout the fight, and it will also get hit by incidental cleave.

You still kill it by the end of the fight, but its more efficient to let it happen as a natural result of cleave damage as much as possible.

This is, unfortunately, a faulty line of thought.

It is better to attack at 200% damage on a leg and do 100% cleave damage to the body, as opposed to doing 100% damage to the body and 100% cleave damage to the leg. It's pretty simple math - you have a period of time where you can do 100% damage or 200% damage; you still get cleave damage either way.

EDIT - If your theory were true, it would technically be ideal to keep 3 legs up at a time for maximum cleave damage. And we all know how this would turn out (very poorly).
11/19/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Asthas

If only tanks could actually hit the leg more than 5% of the time.
11/19/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Wisemuffins

If only tanks could actually hit the leg more than 5% of the time.

If only the fight gave tanks enough Vengeance to do anything really dps wise on the fight.. and no ... his frontal cleave while it hits hard, gives me only a max of 25k vengeance.... which kinda sucks :(

and yeah if he keeps respawning back legs i can't hit those :D
Cant cleave off boss to legs, at least none of the cleaves I see work backwards.
11/19/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Multicidez

This is, unfortunately, a faulty line of thought.

It is better to attack at 200% damage on a leg and do 100% cleave damage to the body, as opposed to doing 100% damage to the body and 100% cleave damage to the leg. It's pretty simple math - you have a period of time where you can do 100% damage or 200% damage; you still get cleave damage either way.

EDIT - If your theory were true, it would technically be ideal to keep 3 legs up at a time for maximum cleave damage. And we all know how this would turn out (very poorly).

It depends on your raid comp but the idea is as follows: Garalon doesn't cast mend based on the number of dead legs. It's something he casts a static number of times throughout the fight. So the number of legs you get is 4 + the number he mends. If you have all your DPS struggling to kill all legs asap you increase the chance that legs are going to spawn in positions that are inconvenient or require heavy movement. And you're putting several DPS on those then your DPS for the raid will be a net-loss even though everyone will enjoy their huge numbers. You're better off DPSing down the inside legs, and possibly the front far leg. The reason being only that these are the most easily reached. You also would want to put the minimum DPS required to keep up with mending, again because making everyone move to unlock the same potential DPS is inefficient and will cost you DPS in the end.
11/19/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Postonforums
Cant cleave off boss to legs, at least none of the cleaves I see work backwards.

I thought blade flurry worked, but I'm not sure if the double damage on the legs was working.

Trying to dps the legs is exceedingly annoying (thing seems to be unavailable to dps about 2/3 of the time or else the hitbox is tiny) so the one time I tried it in LFR I was just hitting the body and assuming the blade flurry damage on the leg would be doubled as long as I stood in a circle. May not work that way though I guess.
11/20/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Tawnos
I thought blade flurry worked, but I'm not sure if the double damage on the legs was working.

Blade flurry works if you cleave off the legs to the boss. Not sure if the opposite is true, haven't tried it.