Ultra Settings w/ Shadows Ultra

Games, Gaming and Hardware
I can only find threads about new desktops and what to get to make WoW run on Ultra graphics all the way around, but they always say "assuming shadows is on low."

What PC on the internet can handle TRUE ULTRA SETTINGS with shadows on ultra? Basically just clicking the graphic slider in WoW over to Ultra, and clicking "Ok" and run the game at 75-100+ FPS? I do not care to build my own. Just looking for a guaranteed pre-built that can achieve this goal.

Is it possible? Link me a computer from CyberPowerPC, iBuyPower, or Alienware that can handle true ultra settings @ 75-100+ FPS constant, no matter where you're at in the game.

BTW - I know the "human eye can't actually see 100 FPS" but when you put the settings on low, it says 100 FPS because it's easily streaming the graphics. I want to see a PC configuration that can say 75-100+ FPS in the BUSIEST of server times and populations in the most crowded cities on ultra without choking unless it was the internet connection's fault. Again, is there something out there for this? Or am I dreaming?
None. Hardware isn't going to overcome engine code problem.
Wow. I had a weird feeling it was impossible. What's the next highest build you can recommend to fulfill all my needs in my OP minus the shadows then? At least keep ultra on in heavy population and graphic intense areas like MoP has but without shadows and still maintain that constant 75-100+ FPS? Or is this still a engine code issue?
If you turn on anti-aliasing, it's not really going to work out in extremely crowded areas @ 1080p.

If you don't though, it's possibility with high-end GPU.
3570k @ 4.4Ghz + 680 Lightning @ 1202

All ultra except shadows high. Vsync off. AA maxed. 1080p.

I get around 100 FPS most times but I can drop to 45ish during a 25 man raid finder AoE phase or a graphically intensive boss ability. With ultra shadows I think it hits around 30 or lower. Not much more you can throw at it especially since this is only at 1080.
QuIte sad a game has graphics settings that it can't even support itself if you had a rig to handle it.

Ether way, I'm still not good at picking fine details out. Anyone know a computer from the 3 companies I posted in my first post (no matter the price) that can handle the most ultra settings at all times above 75-100ish FPS?

Just shoot a few links to builds here and I'll go buy one, install WoW and sit in Stormwind on a Tuesday night with ultra settings and hope I got my money's worth.
IMO, the engine simply doesn't scale well beyond a certain point. With mid to high-end graphics card, you will see what Vaerwind is seeing. In other words, whether you have GTX 660 Ti or GTX 680, you will see the same FPS more or less.

And as I mentioned, there's no such PC. Raids and extremely crowded areas will bring FPS down to below 75 FPS no matter what, even if you had $10000 mega PC. You need to stop looking for 75 ~ 100 FPS @ ultra settings (not including shadows) at -all times-.
11/17/2012 12:57 AMPosted by Zinuh
Wow. I had a weird feeling it was impossible. What's the next highest build you can recommend to fulfill all my needs in my OP minus the shadows then? At least keep ultra on in heavy population and graphic intense areas like MoP has but without shadows and still maintain that constant 75-100+ FPS? Or is this still a engine code issue?

I wouldn't call it impossible. I'm sure 60fps could be maintained at with all settings maxed out in a very crowded area with the world record 7.1ghz i7-3770k.
11/17/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Zachoff
I wouldn't call it impossible. I'm sure 60fps could be maintained at with all settings maxed out in a very crowded area with the world record 7.1ghz i7-3770k.

No, as stated before, it is an engine code problem. Regardless of how capable your processor is your frame rate will be extremely hindered by the ridiculously badly optimized Shadows in World of Warcraft.

It is the same sort of thought process with CPU/GPU bottlenecking, where improving a certain piece of hardware won't grant you any performance benefits as one piece is unable to process all the workload the other is dishing out, in layman's terms.

I have an AMD Rana X3 2.7GHz CPU and a HD 7850. $50 processor and $250 GPU. I get 150FPS in WoW when there aren't many players nearby but turn Shadows up and the FPS will nosedive to 25 in areas like Stormwind.
If you can run ultra--shadows lower--in a 25 man raid and keep it at 50fps, that's about as good as it gets right now.

Presently, with an i5 2500K and a 580GTX I can get about 45fps +/-5 in 25mans at 2560x1600. I'm pretty happy with that. I'd like a little more, but I'm still waiting for big Kepler.

I don't have any real issues in towns. Sometimes if it's REALLY crowded in, ummm, our panda townhouse in whereverthehellitis, I'll see dips down to about 35fps. Generally, though, it's 45-55. If there's less than about a dozen people standing around, it'll stay a solid 60.
IMO, the engine simply doesn't scale well beyond a certain point. With mid to high-end graphics card, you will see what Vaerwind is seeing. In other words, whether you have GTX 660 Ti or GTX 680, you will see the same FPS more or less.

And as I mentioned, there's no such PC. Raids and extremely crowded areas will bring FPS down to below 75 FPS no matter what, even if you had $10000 mega PC. You need to stop looking for 75 ~ 100 FPS @ ultra settings (not including shadows) at -all times-.

^
Basically, WOW's engine is old. Its newer features were "tacked on" to said old engine, causing bottlenecks. The shadow engine particularly is *extremely* inefficient. You cannot overcome these bottlenecks by throwing more powerful hardware at it.
11/17/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Listerine

No, as stated before, it is an engine code problem. Regardless of how capable your processor is your frame rate will be extremely hindered by the ridiculously badly optimized Shadows in World of Warcraft.

It is the same sort of thought process with CPU/GPU bottlenecking, where improving a certain piece of hardware won't grant you any performance benefits as one piece is unable to process all the workload the other is dishing out, in layman's terms.

I have an AMD Rana X3 2.7GHz CPU and a HD 7850. $50 processor and $250 GPU. I get 150FPS in WoW when there aren't many players nearby but turn Shadows up and the FPS will nosedive to 25 in areas like Stormwind.

7.1ghz is nearly double the clock rate of most cpus. This would lead to a direct near-double increase in performance. There is no specific function that limits the fps to 25, it is just horribly unoptimized to the point where the cpu is zigzagging through what could be done easier in a straight line.
We won't see 7.1 GHz usable CPU clock for a very long time however. Sure, we can reach it -- and break it, but it's not stable for normal usage purposes... not to mention needing constant LN2 (or other exotic cooling), AND 99.9% of the time, all except 1 core is turned off... and we all know how well things perform on a single core, even if it was 7 GHz.

By the time we see 7 GHz as a standard clock, WoW would probably be long gone as one of the "ancient MMORPG".
We won't see 7.1 GHz usable CPU clock for a very long time however. Sure, we can reach it -- and break it, but it's not stable for normal usage purposes... not to mention needing constant LN2 (or other exotic cooling), AND 99.9% of the time, all except 1 core is turned off... and we all know how well things perform on a single core, even if it was 7 GHz.

By the time we see 7 GHz as a standard clock, WoW would probably be long gone as one of the "ancient MMORPG".

For some of those overclock jobs, even liquid nitrogen wasn't enough - it wasn't cold enough to provide sufficient cooling, and liquid helium had to be used instead.
If you turn on anti-aliasing, it's not really going to work out in extremely crowded areas @ 1080p.

If you don't though, it's possibility with high-end GPU.

hey had to find something without a post limit xD. I was wondering if my Rosewill RD500-2DB Power Supply will be enough to power this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617 . I need to buy a new GC since mine blew a capacitor and i've been playing on my laptop for the past 3 months and now my laptop is starting to bog from overuse. I hope you can help!
If this 500W is a decent unit with 80 Plus certification, it can easily power an HD 7850
@Zinuh, ibuypower and cyber power are the same people, and they have horrible reviews... ( http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7586_102-116362/ibuypower-a-good-company/ ) and Alienware is overpriced. Even if your not looking to make your own, you get way better parts for cheaper, at least look into it.

@Cleavage - That can run your GPU but it wouldn't hurt to bump up to a 600 PSU on Silver + Certification ( Preferably gold ) and if you go for the 500 you really would want gold. If you get a new PSU Try a PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, or FSP one, they are the best ATM.

-The world record OC is 8.45ghz on two cores with liquid helium. The highest you could actually maintain would be 6'ish ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nKQ5uDA8TM )
Mine does and it's just a laptop, not a desktop. Everything completely maxed, I get 80-100 fps. Even in org on a high pop server, it never goes below 70.

I have not tried raiding on it yet. I also use the razer game booster anytime I play a game. On rift, I get minor hiccups and I keep everything on ultra but turn down ground clutter and that keeps me in the 40-55 range.