What's a hardcore casual raiding guild?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
11/19/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Balkoth
But if someone told you "yeah, I spend 1-2 nights a week playing a video game with some friends" would you think "Whoa, that guy is a hardcore gamer?"

My team probably raids about the same amount of time as yours or less, I wouldn't put casual anywhere near describing us, I think a better description for both our guilds is "semi hardcore" then you would have the world first guilds being classed as "extreme hardcore"

Also, no, we don't have a specified attendance percent. In fact, we have a player out of town right now for a month.

Sure and my team has had issues like that as well and its fine as long as there is good communication, that doesn't mean that we won't look at replacing someone who can't make 30% or more of the raids suddenly or are consistently very late because of other commitments, not doing so hinders progression and causes frustration and burnout especially if someone is in a core role.

I think hardcore is more of a mindset and not able to be defined by a certain amount of game time per day/week/month of course not many seem to agree which is fine, trying to mix casual and hardcore in the same description doesn't make sense to me at all.
the point is less about what "hardcore casual" is and more that the guild being quoted in the picture is not it. unless they've raided one time since the expac hit. which they haven't!

edit for unfortunate line breaks.

This lol.
11/19/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Sabod
I think hardcore is more of a mindset and not able to be defined by a certain amount of game time per day/week/month of course not many seem to agree which is fine, trying to mix casual and hardcore in the same description doesn't make sense to me at all.

No its just a lack of sufficiently descriptive words in English.

Hardcore is a a mindset, and the ability to actually perform to that that mindset. You can your as hardcore as you want but if your not killing heroic bosses before nerfs your not. On the other hand someone like us who historically have killed 1- to half of heroic progression before nerfs/end of tier don't regard ourselves as hardcore and we are not.

Casual guild. They may raid sometimes, but not every week and with more frequent changes to the roster.

Casual raiding guild. This more fits us. The important part being we raid. With the exception of 1-3 week periods pre and post expansion we have raided every week since MC. But we only raid in raid hours. if the raid is planned to finish at 5pm it may finish before 5pm but it virtually never finish after .

Casual hardcore. Heroic progression but again fixed and fairly short raid times.

Heroic progression. They concentrate on heroics, more raiding time, raids are extended past finish in the name of progression.

Their are probably a few other variants as well, root problem being the overuse of a few words to cover many things.
My team probably raids about the same amount of time as yours or less, I wouldn't put casual anywhere near describing us, I think a better description for both our guilds is "semi hardcore" then you would have the world first guilds being classed as "extreme hardcore"

So...

us = semi-hardcore?

3-4 nights = hardcore?

world top 50 = extreme hardcore?

Sure and my team has had issues like that as well and its fine as long as there is good communication, that doesn't mean that we won't look at replacing someone who can't make 30% or more of the raids suddenly or are consistently very late because of other commitments, not doing so hinders progression and causes frustration and burnout especially if someone is in a core role.

Sure, but it's not a specified amount, more if we think it's a large enough problem.

I'd agreed hardcore is more of a mindset, hence the description

hardcore mindset
casual raid times