An explanation for Tyrande in Mists

Story Forum
Okay, I lied about ignoring Illidan: Chasing after him by herself at the Broken Isles would have gotten her killed were it not for him choosing to spare her.

Maiev chased after him. Not Tyrande. Tyrande and Malfurion both arrived later. I guess I'm not remembering this mission, but I don't recall it happeneing.

After Malfurion and Tyrande helped Maiev destroy the Naga base on the Broken Isles Malfurion noticed that Tyrande was no where to be seen. Tyrande deciding to follow Illidan in an attempt to stop him and while killing his naga guard was captured by Illidan. Illidan in turn told her to leave him alone as he had no desire to hurt her.

Let's not forget trying to fight an entire Scourge force basically by herself in Lordaeron. That got her swept downriver and nearly overwhelmed by the Scourge... until Illidan saved her, again.

You...You can't go and call someone reckless and remove all context. That wasn't reckless.. That was her intentionally fighting the Scourge forces so Keal'thas and the rest of the Alliance forces could get away. She was buying time, and purposely giving her life to save more.

Tyrande was certainly bad !@# in that moment, Starfall was destroying Scourge forces left and right....it wasn't unit bridge collapsed that she has ended up down river. Plus don't forgot about the Night Elves she saved.
Tyrande has been reckless, yes. But she's also been characterized as being fairly powerful in her own right. My personal issue with the scenario isn't that it's "character assassination" it's that she looks reckless AND feeble at the same time. We're living in a fantasy story where a damn orc can kill demons until they're stacked sky high and scratch Sargeras' skin. It's not infeasible for Tyrande to be able to take on a few orcs by herself with Elune on her side.

My problem with it is because it portrays Tyrande in a unfavorable light. Sure she really wants to go in, but she whines about it like a child instead of DOING something about it. She doesn't hop on her tiger and start killing off grunts, she just pouts and cries to Varian that she wants to attack RIGHT NOW like a child crying for an icecream cone. Tyrande has been characterized as reckless, but not necessarily as an impotent pouting child.

It just could have been written better. You could show Tyrande doing some badass stuff and doubting Varian could do anything to impress her 10k years of experience. But then he does and she's like "I was wrong about you, we would be proud to fight alongside you." etc etc.
11/18/2012 11:20 AMPosted by Ferlion
First off, she was, as mentioned, working under information that the orcs were demon tainted, and the humans were helping them.

An assumption without gathering more data? Kind of the point I'm making. And it leads to her forces getting devastated by the scourge. Also like I said, even after she finds out that the humans are fighting the Legion and Scourge as well she continues to fight them

Maiev chased after him. Not Tyrande. Tyrande and Malfurion both arrived later. I guess I'm not remembering this mission, but I don't recall it happeneing.

This is after Tyrande and Malfurion arrive. The mission is 'Balancing the Scales' in TFT... basically the night elves slaughter the naga and Tyrande sees Illidan, so she chases after him, gets netted by Myrmidon, the two of them talk for a moment and then he leaves.

You...You can't go and call someone reckless and remove all context. That wasn't reckless.. That was her intentionally fighting the Scourge forces so Keal'thas and the rest of the Alliance forces could get away. She was buying time, and purposely giving her life to save more.

I'm not ignoring context, you can try to buy time without charging onto a bridge to face them all down by yourself. And we're not arguing whether or not it was a noble act, it certainly was, it was just rash too.

Lets see.... She didn't have a suicide mission against Azshara. In fact, Azshara never saw combat. The closest Tyrande had was when she was captured by Satyr, who were at the time a relatively new enemy. I'll have to look up the situations regarding it, but as I recall it had little to do with her being reckless.

Azshara never saw combat because Tyrande never got that far. Her forces got slaughtered by Azshara's guards.
It wasn't reckless. She had plans, fall back plans, a leader in line for the Night Elves in case she failed, a vision from her goddess, AND the ability to hold of the Nightmare, and the only other known thing that could do that was an artifact by the son of her goddess. Or do you not remember the whole thing where Tyrande not only place Shandris in charge, but appointed her the new leader if she were to fail? That's, again, not reckless behavior.

Oh, yeah she had backups in place in case she died or was lost, but she still in the end (well, I guess sort of in the middle) she abandons her more immediate plans to chase after Furion, leaving her companions behind in the process rather than attacking as a group.
11/18/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Ferlion
The entire bell being stolen at all from Darnassus is a stupid thing. It should have never been revealed to be in Darnassus by a Night Elf TELLING the Horde. In words. With vocal noises.

...Seriously that's how we know that Bell is in Darnassus?

I always figured since Jaina was involved with hiding it then the more aware members of the Kirin Tor and Sunreavers were able to correctly guess why Jaina was getting involved and a Garrosh loyalist later informed Garrosh.
An assumption without gathering more data? Kind of the point I'm making. And it leads to her forces getting devastated by the scourge. Also like I said, even after she finds out that the humans are fighting the Legion and Scourge as well she continues to fight them

It's been confirmed as Word of God that Cenarius sensed the demons on the Orcs.. It's 100% accurate information. The enemey of my enemy is most certainly not my friend. It's foolish to join forces with people you don't know or trust in war time scenarios, because you end up watching your back to often.

I'm not ignoring context, you can try to buy time without charging onto a bridge to face them all down by yourself. And we're not arguing whether or not it was a noble act, it certainly was, it was just rash too.

Not in that situation you can't. There was an army right behind them. Like, a few hundred feet.

Azshara never saw combat because Tyrande never got that far. Her forces got slaughtered by Azshara's guards.

Tyrande never led an attack into the palace, again, from what I recall. She didn't see Azshara OR the inside of hte palace until she was captured by the Satyr. Unless your possibly using the old WC3 version, which is non-canon in favor of knaaks works. Also, being beat in combat=/= reckless.

Oh, yeah she had backups in place in case she died or was lost, but she still in the end (well, I guess sort of in the middle) she abandons her more immediate plans to chase after Furion, leaving her companions behind in the process rather than attacking as a group.

Her group was dead weight. They couldn't fight the Nightmare. It was a big deal that she could.. It would be reckless to STAY in the group.

...Seriously that's how we know that Bell is in Darnassus?

I always figured since Jaina was involved with hiding it then the more aware members of the Kirin Tor and Sunreavers were able to correctly guess why Jaina was getting involved and a Garrosh loyalist later informed Garrosh.

Yeah, and the sad thing?

Kosak was saying that bad !@# night elven woman would be in 5.1.

That's it. A Night Elf sentinel telling the Horde where the bell is.

Which is what has the Night Elf fans so pissed off. At this point, its hard to argue Blizzard not straight up lying to the face if it's fans.
Yeah, and the sad thing?

Which is what has the Night Elf fans so pissed off. At this point, its hard to argue Blizzard not straight up lying to the face if it's fans.

....I'm assuming the Sentinel gloats that the Horde would never get the Bell form Darnassus.

If that's supposed to be the bad !@# moment....Kosak needs to be reminded that gloating doesn't necessarily equal bad $%^.
Yeah, and the sad thing?

....I'm assuming the Sentinel gloats that the Horde would never get the Bell form Darnassus.

If that's supposed to be the bad !@# moment....Kosak needs to be reminded that gloating doesn't necessarily equal bad $%^.

Yeah. She's all like.

"You may have killed me, but it's to late. The bell is already in Darnassus, far beyond your reach now"

Yeah. She's all like.

"You may have killed me, but it's to late. The bell is already in Darnassus, far beyond your reach now"

Orcs: And we would of gotten away with it to if it weren't for those meddling Elves!
And their owls, to?
Yeah. She's all like.

Nothing says badass quite like compromising major security secrets without any prodding.
11/18/2012 01:01 PMPosted by Ferlion
And their owls, to?

Owl:Hooooooooo!!!!

She basically says that her death means nothing and the Bell is in Darnassus and the filthy Horde will never get it, before flopping over.

I suppose what makes her badass is that she's elite and does some spins and stuff. So... I really don't know what Blizzard thinks. That Night elf badasses are nothing before the Horde? Yeah, that sounds about what they're trying to get across. (By the way, the Alliance never gets to see this Sentinel in action as far as I know. The extent of her involvement is being killed by Ishi and the player and telling them exactly where the bell is).
Well, that's nothing new. The big badass worgen stuff was never seen by the Alliance either, so hey.
Well, the Worgen did kick plenty of !@# in Gilneas. They didn't get to see Ivar until Shadowfang, no, but they did crash a Horde airship into their own offensive line.
11/18/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Ferlion
Well, that's nothing new. The big badass worgen stuff was never seen by the Alliance either, so hey.

It's pretty systemic. The Alliance never looks good unless you play Horde.

The Horde always looks good though (because we're just that fabulous).
11/17/2012 07:30 PMPosted by Skytotem
Back in WCIII, it's not like Tyrande was a bastion of patience and understanding. She saw something she didn't know or understand, and if she could kill it, you can damn well bet she had a bunch of sentinels kill it. Argument with a few Wardens? Time to cut a bloody path of destruction through their ranks.

They attacked her first....

Because she had clearly stated that she was going to free the second greatest traitor in night elf history. The warden's only job for he past 10,000 years had been to defend him and keep him imprisoned. Tyrande chose to free him knowing that they would fight anyone breaching their prision. She made the choice to free Illidan knowing that she would have to kill night elves to do it.

I deffinatly call that brash, and reckless.
11/17/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Drimka
Tyrande has more 'experience' when it comes to fighting, but Varian has VASTLY more experience when it comes to orcs. And it shows; she got shot down pretty quick in the one Ashenvale battle she participated in.

But remember the big picture.... The fact that elves are losing against orcs in ashenvale is mainly because for some "mysterious reason" (blizz writters XD) night elves no longer have their full army. A whole bunch sent to neutrality with the cenarion circle, another portion went off to the defense of hyjal which after the battle somehow they never retured. wardens are nowhere to be seen and the sisterhood of elune still eludes me cause i fail to see their paticipation in battle so far.
I wonder if Elune will be introduced in later patches of MoP...............
Because she had clearly stated that she was going to free the second greatest traitor in night elf history. The warden's only job for he past 10,000 years had been to defend him and keep him imprisoned. Tyrande chose to free him knowing that they would fight anyone breaching their prision. She made the choice to free Illidan knowing that she would have to kill night elves to do it.

I deffinatly call that brash, and reckless.

No. She made the decision to free Illidan and the Watchers refused to let her do that. They refused to let Tyrande, the leader of the Watchers and Wardens, the one in charge of the entire Night elven military and police forces, free a prisoner she wanted to. She had every right to free him and they were completely, legally, morally and honorwise, in the wrong.

Just like the President of the US can pardon any criminal and free them, and he even has the authority to walk into any federal prison in the US to do it if he wants, so does Tyrande to pardon any criminal held by the Wardens and Watchers.
11/19/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Archpaladin
I wonder if Elune will be introduced in later patches of MoP...............
no, because if that happens she's going to turn out to be some naaru piece of trash.