The problem with Attenuation

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Post Limit:
There is a major problem with finding people who know how to dodge Attenuation on the first boss of Heart of Fear.

I have a guild 7 people in the guild can dodge it near 100% of the time. Even had few people quit the guild because they died over and over. Even after showing them videos, telling them to stand closer to the boss and go in a circle, they still died.

Its one of those mechanics like tornadoes on Alysrazor that some people will never be able to do because they just don't have the skills to move and dodge it.

So we ended up pugging people went through about 10 pugs who would get hit by it. Counting previous weeks I say we went through about 40 pugs who couldn't do it. We gave people 2-3 chances usually, with brez counting as a chance. Not all pugs are bad ocassionally get 1 or 2 who can do it, but having to constantly replace people over and over getting new pugs with no idea if they can dodge Attenuation is frustrating.

Kind of upsetting they would put this boss first which relies on some personal movement mechanic that a majorty of the WoW player base seems to not be able to do. Missing out on the whole zone for the week sucks.

Any ideas how to get people who can dodge Attenuation?
It probably has to do with them looking at all the other rings and getting overwhelmed. There are only 2 rings you need to worry about at a time when running in a circle around the boss closely. I know Big Wigs tells people which direction to run, DBM may but I'm not sure.

Just tell them to not overcomplicated it, you're simply running in a circle around the boss avoiding new rings that spawn. The addon may help as well. I also think 3 chances may be too small, some my our raiders needed at minimum 10+ tries and they're not bad raiders they just didn't fully understand it.
11/18/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Sensations
I also think 3 chances may be too small, some my our raiders needed at minimum 10+ tries and they're not bad raiders they just didn't fully understand it.

Guild people get like 3 nights willing to work with them longer if they are in the guild, but pugs get 3 chances because its either they know it and are good or they don't get it and die a lot.
11/18/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Azuremi
Any ideas how to get people who can dodge Attenuation?

If you're pugging random people for normal mode, you're probably going to have to give them more than 2-3 chances, until it becomes pretty standard to know the fight.

Seems a bit overly strict for the content you're doing

11/18/2012 02:45 PMPosted by Azuremi
Guild people get like 3 nights willing to work with them longer if they are in the guild, but pugs get 3 chances because its either they know it and are good or they don't get it and die a lot.

This is only true once it's been out for long enough. We're still in the phase where it's possible they don't know it, but are good.
Ask people if they ever played Gradius.

If the answer is no, she's too young for you bro.
Heroic.. or normal..?

Here is a video on how to run the spiral on heroic. Download Bigwigs, it will tell you which way to run, and run the same way as a group. The concept of normal and heroic are the same - Run a spiral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8rly1TPR0s&t=3m9s

I guess you already told them to watch videos and run in a circle, but you should really stack up as a group and call out which direction to move.
If you're pugging random people for normal mode, you're probably going to have to give them more than 2-3 chances, until it becomes pretty standard to know the fight.

Seems a bit overly strict for the content you're doing

I'm sure I've seen top 10 guilds less strict than that. XD
11/18/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Azuremi
Its one of those mechanics like tornadoes on Alysrazor that some people will never be able to do because they just don't have the skills to move and dodge it.

Pre nerf alysrazor tornadoes were a lot harder, you couldn't just run around in a circle, giving 2 to 3 chances seems a bit harsh I think some of my raiders took longer then that to figure it out but once you figure it out you literally never get hit.

Not too sure what the point of this thread is are you asking for a nerf to a mechanic because random pugs from trade can't do it instantly?
Its not that hard a mechanic. Sure some of us make the occasional mistake like get caught in melee range just as it spawns.

Just wait for the next fight. One of our raiders has never yet made 1 lap, let alone two. Personally I don't have too much problem but if your trying to heal and hang back to keep others up it gets harder and far too often i get sucked back by the very last tornado when I am already up on the platform. I need to stop and wait just to see where its going to spawn instead of trusting to 1 in 3 odds.
Have you tried putting a mark on someone who knows how to make the run, and telling the others to just follow them? Might get sloppy because of latency differences, but it can't be any worse than running around like a chicken with their head cut off...

Imagine if they made a raid-version of the Bomberman boss? That would be... chaos.
Imagine if they made a raid-version of the Bomberman boss? That would be... chaos.

Twin Valkyrs = Ikaruga
Heroic Vizier = Any bullet hell game
Naxx trash = frogger
Alysrazor = starfox

I'm sure there are many others that I can't recall off the top of my head, the encounter designers obviously look at other games for inspiration for mechanics.
too bad LFR's attentuation is easier to just stand in and heal, or else people would learn the mechanic.
11/18/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Postonforums
too bad LFR's attentuation is easier to just stand in and heal, or else people would learn the mechanic.

or they would cry on forums, just like they did with Garalon. -_____-
11/18/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Gorea
or they would cry on forums, just like they did with Garalon. -_____-

But at least when the "garalon normal is too hard" posts come out, we can just spam link them the QQ threads from LFR.
This mechanic is nothing more than a check to make sure nobody is keyboard turning or trying to set their PoV like it's a first person shooter.
You don't even have to run in a full circle. You just need to back up enough to find that sweet spot where you can still hit the boss and the rings get spaced enough that you just move back and forth to avoid them.
Tell your raiders to turn their monitors on. It is the key to winning the phase.

Seriously, anyone who fails to dodge attenuation should be incredibly embarrassed.
Tell them to play a bullet hell game in their free time.

If you can do the first 10 levels of Touhou, Attenuation will be faceroll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nb5Ohbt1Sg
Vizier is more like the 7th boss rather than the first boss
But meh, it's not too bad, most of the time my raid melee's will get hit but not die. Maybe ask them try changing the angle of the camera?
2-3 chances is not enough. You will have to be more lenient with pugs that haven't done the fight if you want to succeed. Some people will get the hang of it faster than others, but for people that are learning it, there are a few different ways that work (running the circle in the RIGHT direction, vs strafing, both of which require you to be at a specific range to work) and it takes more than 2-3 tries to figure that out.