Was the purpose of ToW

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
11/18/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Lorthuron
I'm sick and tired of people damning Blizzard no matter what they do.

You wouldn't find the people who post regularly on this board damning them if they were doing a good job.
I'm not damning Blizzard, I'm damning the author because this book was bad. Would you like me to explain the other was in which the book was just full of bad writing?

Go right ahead.

Uncalled for.

Calling someone jaded is not like calling someone a tool. Now if I called him a jaded tool you might be right but that's beside the point.

You wouldn't find the people who post regularly on this board damning them if they were doing a good job.

I call fowl. Someone always will complain.
11/18/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Lorthuron
Go right ahead.

I've edited my previous post to elaborate more widely on what you said, go look at that first, before reading on, please.

At times the author seemed like she was using a thesaurus to sound as if she were a more intelligent writer, it is very noticeable at several points throughout this novel, and it completely breaks the flow of the writing. At other times, she seems to lose this habit and repeat a "big" or "intelligent" word in lieu of using a "smaller" or "less intelligent" word of the same meaning, and it has the same effect, it breaks the flow of the writing and it seems like something I would find in one of my old middle school creative writing short stories.

Other than that, the whole thing just reeks of cliches and it devalues of the story and makes it cartoony and humorous when it's obvious the author is trying so very desperately to keep the novel serious and grimdark.
11/18/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Lorthuron
I call fowl. Someone always will complain.

Hence why I said the regulars. And while I would admit to the fact that Blizz could sharpen up, and still alienate a few regulars with their vision, I also hold that they wouldn't be calling the story bad.

The fact of the matter is that the story we've got is really, really sub par. It's full of dropped threads, illogical progression and consequence, and glaring oversights. When the only driving rule for a series is Rule of Cool, that's just how it works. To create a good story, you have to keep in mind far, far more than "Whoooooah, that's, like, totally rad man, put it in!" as a yardstick.
Go right ahead.

I've edited my previous post to elaborate more widely on what you said, go look at that first, before reading on, please.

At times the author seemed like she was using a thesaurus to sound as if she were a more intelligent writer, it is very noticeable at several points throughout this novel, and it completely breaks the flow of the writing. At other times, she seems to lose this habit and repeat a "big" or "intelligent" word in lieu of using a "smaller" or "less intelligent" word of the same meaning, and it has the same effect, it breaks the flow of the writing and it seems like something I would find in one of my old middle school creative writing short stories.

Other than that, the whole thing just reeks of cliches and it devalues of the story and makes it cartoony and humorous when it's obvious the author is trying so very desperately to keep the novel serious and grimdark.

And I have to say one thing. That is the most biggest nitpicking in writing I've ever seen. I am sorry but I want to roll my eyes. I have more issue with Jaina getting with a dragon.(Seriously I do)
11/18/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Moertos
Go right ahead.

At the risk of getting called jaded, I totally agree with you, Moertos. I have never enjoyed Golden's writing. What's worse is that Blizzard endorses it. They really need better writers.
11/18/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Arkturas
The fact of the matter is that the story we've got is really, really sub par. It's full of dropped threads, illogical progression and consequence, and glaring oversights. When the only driving rule for a series is Rule of Cool, that's just how it works. To create a good story, you have to keep in mind far, far more than "Whoooooah, that's, like, totally rad man, put it in!" as a yardstick.

Lorthur let me just ask you point blank, are you satisfied with the story so far? Particularly the faction war. Do you have any criticisms about it?

Criticism =/= raging

Raging =/= criticism
...Who are you talking to Noitora?
11/18/2012 03:22 PMPosted by Lorthuron
And I have to say one thing. That is the most biggest nitpicking in writing I've ever seen. I am sorry but I want to roll my eyes. I have more issue with Jaina getting with a dragon.(Seriously I do)

Nitpicking? Maybe. Am I just spoiled on good writing? Perhaps. But it's clear that the writing techniques, not just the story here is subpar, and I would find that many agree that the story is subpar.

At the risk of getting called jaded, I totally agree with you, Moertos. I have never enjoyed Golden's writing. What's worse is that Blizzard endorses it. They really need better writers.

I wouldn't really have a problem with the writing, truly, if I could get the entire story in game, or through a series of videos. But I can't, and if I want the whole story and to know all the lore about the game and not be completely clueless as to why certain things happen, I have to read the book and the poor writing.
11/18/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Mahalia

Eh I like it. I like how she writes the Horde. And I think I could like how she writes Arthas.
The novel itself had some quite bad dialogue. If you thought the 'bees on da honey' or 'two plus two equals five' lines were good dialogue, you just need to read more.

But aside from the dialogue, the narrative was okay for 90% of the book, then it just takes a nosedive at the end.

Blizzard seems to realize that the entire playerbase hated Jaina's random swing to being MORE NEUTRAL THAN BEFORE though, and is basically erasing that in 5.1.
11/18/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Arkturas
...Who are you talking to Noitora?

I'm asking Lorthur a question based on your post.
Ok, I was just really confused. xD
11/18/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Noitora

Lorthur let me just ask you point blank, are you satisfied with the story so far? Particularly the faction war. Do you have any criticisms about it?

Criticism =/= raging

Raging =/= criticism

Aside from Jaina getting with a dragon? That's about it. Admiral Sky Rogers. And the most minor is no Draenei or Worgen in sight...etc etc. Golden writes much more tolerable then say Knaack in Stormrage.

I was having such a hard time visualizing the situations in Stormrage. While in Golden's readings I can really see it. I get she liked writing Jaina and Kalec but.... I twitch. I respect her for being a writer since I'm a aspiring one myself but I just can't stomach Jaina and Kalecgos.
11/18/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Noitora
Eh I like it. I like how she writes the Horde. And I think I could like how she writes Arthas.

I never read Arthas, but I read Rise of the Horde, and I liked it. But that was years ago, when I read much less and knew even less about writing and storytelling.

11/18/2012 03:29 PMPosted by Lorthuron
Golden writes much more tolerable then say Knaack in Stormrage.

I wouldn't disagree, but the writing is still not good. The way she so rigidly uses classes straight out of World of Warcraft and injects them straight into the book, seems very out place... it just doesn't make sense. The class system works for a game, but for a book it just... doesn't.

Edit: Oh and speaking of things coming straight out of the game, I just reread the part where the Fel-Guard quoted word for word, what he says in game (in a tongue and cheek tone of voice, by the way).

I never read Arthas, but I read Rise of the Horde, and I liked it. But that was years ago, when I read much less and knew even less about writing and storytelling.

I never read Rise of the Horde. Shattering,Stormrage,Twilight of the Aspects are what I've read.

I wouldn't disagree, but the writing is still not good. The way she so rigidly uses classes straight out of World of Warcraft and injects them straight into the book, seems very out place... it just doesn't make sense. The class system works for a game, but for a book it just... doesn't.

Yes obviously it does. Still Golden has more talent then Knaack in terms of getting the images in my mind. Right now I'm more excited for Vol'Jin's novel then the Dawn of the Aspects.
@Lorthuron I hear that, the HumanxDragon is disgusting and creepy Iam not a fan of it either, and didn't Metzen state somewhere he didn't like cross species relationships what happened to that.
11/18/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Kazgro
@Lorthuron I hear that, the HumanxDragon is disgusting and creepy Iam not a fan of it either, and didn't Metzen state somewhere he didn't like cross species relationships what happened to that.

I really think people overreact. She's not sleeping with a dragon. She's not dating any random dragon. This is Kalec. The guy who loves mortals. The guy who could spend the rest of his life as a mortal and love it.

She's dating a dragon in mortal form. It's not much different than those that date disguised demons. Some even date actual demons.
11/18/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Lorthuron
Yes obviously it does. Still Golden has more talent then Knaack in terms of getting the images in my mind. Right now I'm more excited for Vol'Jin's novel then the Dawn of the Aspects.

Are you agreeing with me? I... can't really tell.

Either way, yes, Golden is much better than Knaack at describing images. I would say I am excited for Vol'jin's novel, because I love Troll lore and story, I just hope the character development isn't as bad as it was in ToW.

I really think people overreact. She's not sleeping with a dragon. She's not dating any random dragon. This is Kalec. The guy who loves mortals. The guy who could spend the rest of his life as a mortal and love it.

She's dating a dragon in mortal form. It's not much different than those that date disguised demons. Some even date actual demons.

I'm not overreacting. I just don't like the concept. Look I like Kalec and Jaina but..I can't stomach it. Even as a non sexual relationship I can't fathom it. I am sorry I just don't like it. Does it make me rage? No, I accept it. If I could change it would I? Hell yes, I'd tell Kalec to go back and regroup the blues.

The way the Dragon Flights are going is so sad.

Are you agreeing with me? I... can't really tell.

Either way, yes, Golden is much better than Knaack at describing images. I would say I am excited for Vol'jin's novel, because I love Troll lore and story, I just hope the character development isn't as bad as it was in ToW.

If you were saying Golden is too strict on classes(Warriors mages etc) that's a fair complaint and I understand. It's not that I love Troll lore, it's just the new writer to the WoW universe is heading this so...I can't wait to read it.