Windlord help

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Hi guys,

My guild put in a few attempts on windlord this past week and I was wondering what other guilds are using for strat in terms of which adds to CC.

We put in (I think) 5 attempts and got all the adds down once.

Raid comp is:
tanks: pally, warrior
dps: fire mage, hunter, ele sham, spriest, rogue
healers: druid (can go boomie), holy pally, monk

We originally started by CC'ing one blade guy, one amber guy, and 2 of the guys that heal (sorry I forget the names of each add, its late). On one attempt that went fine, but on another attempt we seemed to have bad luck with the amber add trapping our rogue and the person who was closest to him which resulted in the interrupt not going off soon enough on the healing add.

So... two big questions.... 1- is our CC approach what other ten man guilds are mostly doing? And also... are you 2 or 3 healing? The one time we got past first phase it seemed like healing was intense but I think that was because someone messed up on mechanics.

Feedback appreciated, thank you.
We don't even bother with stunning 4. We find cc'ing 3 works better for us because all the adds get damaged at the same rate. Our strategy involves all the adds dying at the exact same time because it allows for a smoother transition. So one of each type. 4 would work just fine too but you might have to stop aoeing to focus one type of add down more. But have a backup cc'er anyway. What we do is we have our hunter control one with an ice trap (or mage with sheep), so only two spears are actually used to stun, leaving two spears for the backup cc'ers.
We prefer to 1 tank 3-heal it, since a 2nd tank doesn't really provide anything for the fight, and the healing will be intense for every raid of blades once the adds are down.

For CC's, we like to run 1 on the blade guys, 1 on a healer, and 2 on the trappers. 1 person can handle interrupting 1 healer on their own, so have your tank handle one healer and your rogue the other. With 2 trappers up you may have issues with people not being able to free tombs due to the debuff not being wiped yet.

Also, since you made it through the add phase once, it'd be worth your while to set up a cd rotation for your raid for every rain of blades. I'd expect you have have 5-6 fully empowered rain of blades until you hit enrage. Make sure to include your ele shaman's healing tide totem and your tanks' raid wall/demo banner.
Yeah we 2-heal and 1 tank, but I'm not sure you can solo tank it with just any tank. It's really easy for a paladin to 1-tank it because they can spam HotR with Seal of Insight for absurd amounts of self healing, and with Glyph of Battle Healer they're also doing ridiculous raid healing. We do have lots of hybrids in the raid so near the end of the fight when we're running out of cooldowns we have our hybrids throwing out off-heals which help a lot during the Rain.
We could 1 tank it, but I'm not sure that it would help any since our Pally is awful at ret and our warrior was picking up all the adds except 1 and the boss and was actually pulling the 2nd highest dps (after our fire mage). Our warrior tank does solid dps even when he's not taking a ton of damage so I'm not sure that would help us any... more concerned with the 2 vs 3 heal... this seems like a fight where its a tad challenging for 2 healers but not quite enough damage for 3 healers. Our resto druid that goes boomie does decent dps but is far better at healing so I'm not sure which would be better for us.
If your warrior has a decent dps off-set have him go dps and have your paladin tank it. Tell him to glyph Battle Healer and use Seal of Insight. All he really has to do is spam Hammer of the Righteous and he'll for the most part keep himself alive. With all the Vengeance he's getting he can easily do 100k+ self-healing with every Hammer. I did 50k hps on our first kill, and like 60k on the second one but sadly we didn't log it the second time.
11/18/2012 02:32 AMPosted by Sliphe
If your warrior has a decent dps off-set have him go dps and have your paladin tank it. Tell him to glyph Battle Healer and use Seal of Insight. All he really has to do is spam Hammer of the Righteous and he'll for the most part keep himself alive. With all the Vengeance he's getting he can easily do 100k+ self-healing with every Hammer. I did 50k hps on our first kill, and like 60k on the second one but sadly we didn't log it the second time.

So you're saying 1 tank, 2 heal then?

I think the warrior going dps will be a dps loss for us in the first part of fight but a gain in single target on the boss.
You can 1-tank and 2-heal, or 1-tank and 3-heal, or 2-tank and 2 heal. Whichever you find comfortable for you. I wouldn't recommend 2-tanking and 3-healing because you'll run into dps issues, but honestly you shouldn't need to 2-tank it at all as long as your paladin has a clue about his class which I assume he does if you got that far.

I'm not sure how paladins compare against warriors on that fight in terms of damage output but the damage he can do if he were single tanking will be nothing to sneeze at. Remember, because he's tanking everything he'll be taking more damage, but that translates to more Vengeance which equals more damage and healing done.
11/18/2012 02:46 AMPosted by Sliphe
You can 1-tank and 2-heal, or 1-tank and 3-heal, or 2-tank and 2 heal. Whichever you find comfortable for you. I wouldn't recommend 2-tanking and 3-healing because you'll run into dps issues, but honestly you shouldn't need to 2-tank it at all as long as your paladin has a clue about his class which I assume he does if you got that far.

Yeah, its just that our warrior tank does a lot of dps tanking that many mobs... makes it a hard decision for me. I just checked our logs.... he averaged 140k over our attempts on that boss.

Obviously his single target on boss is much lower.

But yes... I get what you're saying.
Yeah, its just that our warrior tank does a lot of dps tanking that many mobs... makes it a hard decision for me. I just checked our logs.... he averaged 140k over our attempts on that boss.

I did 200k on our first kill and like 230k on our second. Dropping Consecration off cooldown and doing nothing else should be at least 100k by itself. Using other attacks in no particular order would get you 150k. Using everything in the right order should be an easy 200k. :P
11/18/2012 03:01 AMPosted by Sliphe

I did 200k on our first kill and like 230k on our second. Dropping Consecration off cooldown and doing nothing else should be at least 100k by itself. Using other attacks in no particular order would get you 150k. Using everything in the right order should be an easy 200k. :P

Ok :)

I'm just not as sure about our Pally tank pulling those sorts of numbers. Don't get me wrong, he's not bad. Hes a good tank. He's just usually less focused on the dps side of things (vengeance or no) and more on everything else (he helps raid lead with me). But if you're pretty confident that its easy big dps he should be able to easily do it. I'm thinking 1 tank/3 heal will be the way to go for us with our healers trying to help dps the best they can.
11/18/2012 02:50 AMPosted by Cassandrae

So would your paladin.

Its all about vengeance.
deleted
The tank(s) should have zero trouble getting interrupts if there's only one BattleMender active; and pretty much every melee might as well interrupt anyway.

You should never have a heal go through just because "someone was trapped".

Protip: Rain of Blades can be Dodged/Parried/Blocked. Rogues with Evasion, Warriors with Die By the Sword, etc. have really powerful cooldowns to throw at it.
Thanks for help guys, just got him down
For those that 1 tank, do you use 2 or 3 healers? Non-pally and 3 healers compared to pally and 2 healers?
11/19/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Oakshado
For those that 1 tank, do you use 2 or 3 healers? Non-pally and 3 healers compared to pally and 2 healers?

3-heal, no Pally.

There really isn't much of a reason to NOT use 3 healers.
Only reason to use 3 healers if you are using a pally tank is to have an extra set of cds for rain of blades. If you are having dps issues with 2 tank 2 heal 1 tank 3 heal isn't going to help with that much.