When did shadowfiend become a threat?

Priest
I just lost a duel to a shadow priest, where I went from 90% HP to 0% inside the duration of his silence. Fair enough, now I know to trinket.

I was looking at recount to see what I should have avoided, and his shadow fiend did 100K damage, nearly 25% of his total. When did the shadow fiend become a burst cooldown ability? This is new to me. *laugh*
If he specced into mindbender then the shadowfiend is on a 1min CD with increased dmg. Also who cares about 1v1 pvp at lvl 85.
I guess I should have clarified. I was dueling him on my level 90 resto druid.
11/19/2012 07:50 PMPosted by Crobar
If he specced into mindbender then the shadowfiend is on a 1min CD with increased dmg. Also who cares about 1v1 pvp at lvl 85.

Mindbender is actually weaker per cast than Shadowfiend, IIRC

Sfiend really does a ton of damage now though, I've been getting 40k non-crits after shadowcrawl in crap gear.
My Shadowfiend does roughly about 215k damage over its duration, which is 12sec, and is quite a lot of damage for investing one global cooldown. Devouring Plague is also quite powerful and puts up a similar damage per cast time. A good Spriest will line up Fiend -> Plague + CC -> Burst and is quite unexpected compared to the "steady" damage a Spriest would normally be putting out right before that sudden burst. It can catch a number of people off guard.
Yep shadowfiend can be a burst cooldown in pvp

And yes, you can go from 90% to 0% in a silence if you dont do anything to prevent damage (*cough* los his casts *cough*).
On use trinket + power infusion, put vt swp up, devouring plague w/ 3 orbs, Silence as soon as dp hits, then shadowfiend, mindblast, halo, instant mind spike procs, use the one orb from mindblast for a disarm. youre probably in shadow word: death range by now, or dead lol
I do this to healers all the time in 2s after i get a double fear on them and their dps
When I did arena (haven't at all this season) shadow fiend use to be nasty things to mages here and there. Certainly never fully killed anyone but it could do a decent amount of damage for sure.
I just lost a duel to a shadow priest, where I went from 90% HP to 0% inside the duration of his silence. Fair enough, now I know to trinket.

I was looking at recount to see what I should have avoided, and his shadow fiend did 100K damage, nearly 25% of his total. When did the shadow fiend become a burst cooldown ability? This is new to me. *laugh*

It's been a burst cooldown since the day it was introduced. The thing is a lot mediocre shadow priests in the past and in pvp seem to never use it for the burst. Thinking it's only a mana regen spell. But it's always been a burst cooldown for shadow priests since the days of BC.
[quote="71985322162"]
It's been a burst cooldown since the day it was introduced. The thing is a lot mediocre shadow priests in the past and in pvp seem to never use it for the burst. Thinking it's only a mana regen spell. /quote]
11/19/2012 07:59 PMPosted by Restorata

<Mindbender tooltip says "substantially more effective at dealing damage."
11/21/2012 06:50 AMPosted by Crobar

<Mindbender tooltip says "substantially more effective at dealing damage."

It says that because it's on a shorter cooldown, it actually deals less damage per strike then shadow fiend.

Also you're probably bad if you lost to a spriest as a warrior.