What am I doing wrong? [Arms PvP]

Warrior
I simply don't understand what I am doing wrong.

I seem to get my !@# handed to me by other warriors no problem. Yeah, it's probably gear. But I know skill can get me somewhere too.

I start by Charging then getting Hamstring up ASAP. Colossus Smash and that's usually when I die. I might get a Mortal Strike off if I'm lucky. I've been trying to Overpower and then HS when I have TfB procs. If I don't have TfB, then Slam. Shockwave on cooldown. Disarm melee. Berserker Rage out of fears. Intimidating Shout when I need to get away and Charge back in. Spell Reflect casters and use Disrupting Shout every chance I get. Used to use Heroic Strike against casters, but that's useless now.

I feel like my real issue is just not reacting fast enough to situations. I am also bad about cooldown usage, like banners and Bloodbath (I took it over the nerf to Avatar). I know I don't use them as much as I should.

Should I switch out Shockwave for Bladestorm? Should I get Avatar back? Should I switch to Fury?
you are dying so fast because you have no pvp gear
have PvP gear. try disarming them or using shockwave.. also die by the sword. or popping a one shot macro. get pvp power and resilience
helps to macro certain def cooldowns together. like rallying cry and demo banner (works for ur friends too). also remember die by the sword does no good if ur stunned and they are behind u. so macros are great for switchin to def stance and ur shield and shield wall etc. this macro i really like wil switch u back and forth from defense to offense in one button. just gotta replace my weapon names with your own

/equipslot [equipped:two-hand] 16 Dubious Handaxe
/equipslot [equipped:two-hand] 17 Impervious Carapace
/cast [equipped:two-hand] Defensive Stance
/equipslot [equipped:shield] 16 Warmace of Taran Zhu
/cast [equipped:shield] Berserker Stance
To illustrate what they are saying about pvp gear in the clearest way I can think of.

Warrior A charges me and crits for 100k reduced to about 40k with my resil
Warrior A charges you and crits for 100k reduced to about 60k with your resil

You literally take 50% more damage than someone with honor gear roughly.

Your average melee is 23k before reductions
My average melee is 22k before reductions
I have 48% Pvp power making my average melee 32.56kish

Before armor I hit you for 19536
Before armor You hit me for 9200

I would deal roughly 112% more damage to you than you to me. I think thats fairly accurate there is probably something I didn't account for but you get the idea.
To illustrate what they are saying about pvp gear in the clearest way I can think of.

Warrior A charges me and crits for 100k reduced to about 40k with my resil
Warrior A charges you and crits for 100k reduced to about 60k with your resil

You literally take 50% more damage than someone with honor gear roughly.

Your average melee is 23k before reductions
My average melee is 22k before reductions
I have 48% Pvp power making my average melee 32.56kish

Before armor I hit you for 19536
Before armor You hit me for 9200

I would deal roughly 112% more damage to you than you to me. I think thats fairly accurate there is probably something I didn't account for but you get the idea.

I figured it was mostly gear. I haven't done warrior PvP since Wrath since it was terrible in the Cata days. Thanks for being nice and explaining it in a way that makes more sense.

It's just getting through the honor grind which seems to take a lot longer now. Also, I have some PvP gear, but it may not be showing up in armory at the moment.
You should not even concnern yourself with your level of skill until you're in atleast 5/6th pvp gear. It makes such a huge difference, especially for melee whose always in the thick of the action. Also, using certain abilities when their off of CD is not the way you do it. Going against another warrior is all about outplaying him.

General rule of thumb, if you charge a warrior, they are going to stick around to fight you, there is no reason to hamstring / piercing howl right off the bat.

So, charge in, CS, as your CS'n be moving to his back, right after CS shockwave him. Right before the shockwave stun is done Disarm him. Rift before his disarm is out PoP your 100% parry ability. Save your trinket for when he shockwaves you.

But yeah, none of this will matter till you get the gear.
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but since it's been so long since you've PvP'ed with your warrior, I assume that you're not in the habit of sitting in defensive stance.

With the way things are right now, you should be sitting in defensive stance most of the time, and only really popping into battle when you're confident that you're not going to be targeted or focused.

Rage feels a little different in defensive, but the difference is minimal, and you shouldn't find yourself starved too often.

Right now, defensive stance feels more like a defensive CD that's always on.

As other's have mentioned, gear's the big differentiator though, even more so now that people are making upgrades to their honor. The crafted pvp gear isn't terrible, and worth filling a few slots with while you're BGing for the honor gear.