Blizzard Internships?

General Discussion
Does blizzard offer internships?
I hate internships. It's a good way to get free work out of people without paying them. Actually there are labor laws out there that prevent it, but it rarely enforced.
12/01/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Ravenhawke
I hate internships. It's a good way to get free work out of people without paying them. Actually there are labor laws out there that prevent it, but it rarely enforced.

Blizzard pays their interns. (Source: I have a friend who interned with them)

Haha if we are talking america labor laws hardly ever get enforced companies have all the power.
12/01/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Yiya

Blizzard pays their interns. (Source: I have a friend who interned with them)

That's because blizzard are nice :)
We do offer internships and more information is available at the link Choonster linked.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/university.html

For the budding artists out there, we're currently running a Student Art Contest. You can win a three-month mentorship, a one-year subscription, Blizzard notebook and t-shirt.

Blizzard Entertainment Student Art Contest
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/university-relations/contest.html
Actually there are labor laws out there that prevent it, but it rarely enforced.

The very same labor laws allow you to freely volunteer your time, which is the agreement a lot of interns around the country actually agree to.
I've mentored probably a dozen interns. All of them were paid positions. No, not as much as a graduate full-time employee, but well above minimum wage. Its win-win. The company gets some stuff done that they need. The intern gets valuable work experience, a nice entry on their resume from a fortune 500 company, some pay and a high probability of being hired after graduation. Never been a negative from my experience.
12/01/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Llamasham
Actually there are labor laws out there that prevent it, but it rarely enforced.

The very same labor laws allow you to freely volunteer your time, which is the agreement a lot of interns around the country actually agree to.

Yup lol
I see, well thanks! Another question: do the blizzard interns need a lot of experience in the specific field they're signing up for? Or does Blizz take them on with a great assault? Meaning that will work with what people got?

I've never been to involved with internships. I'm a bit curious on what expectations there are. Thanks again.. ^.^
I would guess that the expectations would be high = and the rewards well worth it.
Can I be the official Coffee Getterer?

I promise there will be no boogers in it!*

*By making this promise, Blizzard/Activision/Vivendi agrees that I can not be held accountable for any boogers that may or may not be in the coffee.
12/01/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Llamasham

Depends where you are... where I am the law actually doesn't even allow employees to agree to work for free.
There is also the UDON / Blizzard Entertainment contest for the World of Warcraft Tribute Art Book. The best pieces of artwork will be included in the book with credit to the artists -- which sounds amazing for a resume blurb, and the prizes are yummy too.

http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/udon-entertainment-blizzard-entertainment-announce-world-of-warcraft-tribute-art-book

http://www.warcrafttribute.com
Does Blizzard offer internships in the legal department? I checked the page and didn't see it listed anywhere.
12/01/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Rygarius
For the budding artists out there, we're currently running a Student Art Contest. You can win a three-month mentorship, a one-year subscription, Blizzard notebook and t-shirt.

*jelly of anybody who wins that*

Also a good way to get work experience in a market that expects everyone to have "3-5 years experience."

Who knew?
I used to hire unpaid interns for the music magazine I worked at and several of them went on to high paying jobs. Many college degrees offer credits for internships and, like Blizzard, some do pay.

The real value is in the experience. I can't speak for the video game industry but I know in the music industry degrees are pretty much useless, work experience, contacts and ability is all that matters. All of which can be helped by interning.
~_~ this is good news indeed, mister blue poster.

I can't quote you for some reason... html code blah blah something.
Well, Since I have yet to make any plans, career wise, this be worth a look :)